is lsat racist?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Image

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:33 pm

kalvano wrote:
merichard87 wrote:I'm quite offended that you think black people or mexican americans or any other minority can't speak english well enough to do well on the lsat. If anything the lsat is biased against those who come from low socio-economic levels and are probably not given the best educations. Yes this is typically minority students but no race is not the prereq.



So the negro community is frowning on his shenanigans?



So you are from the south... :roll:

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby lawgod » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:36 pm

speaking of which, I've been wondering whether there are published stats on how different groups score on the lsat. do men or women score better? do certain races score better when adjusted for education?

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:38 pm

yoiav wrote:i had a thought.
it would seem to me to be practically impossible (especially after the whole fields mess-up) that for someone to whom english is not their first language to do well on the lsat. the logical reasoning especially. ergo, the practice of law has essentially whittled out most minorities!


A reasoning error in the argument is that the argument;

A) ATTRIBUTES A CHARACTERISTIC OF AN INDIVIDUAL MEMBER OF A GROUP TO THE GROUP AS A WHOLE.
B) presupposes which is to be proved.
C) refutes a generalization by means of an exceptional case.
D) assumes a causal relationship where only a correlation has been indicated.
E) takes lack of evidence for the existence of a state of affairs as evidence that there can be no such state of affairs.

Correct Answer: A (i.e. Speak for yourself, I am also international, but I do quite fine at LSAT)

Actually, now that I think about it all the answers, with the possible exception of C, fits it, but A fits best. Wow, this is actually quite a good LR question :P

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:38 pm

kalvano wrote:
merichard87 wrote:I'm quite offended that you think black people or mexican americans or any other minority can't speak english well enough to do well on the lsat. If anything the lsat is biased against those who come from low socio-economic levels and are probably not given the best educations. Yes this is typically minority students but no race is not the prereq.



So the negro community is frowning on his shenanigans?


Rescinded
Last edited by rundoxierun on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:38 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
merichard87 wrote:I'm quite offended that you think black people or mexican americans or any other minority can't speak english well enough to do well on the lsat. If anything the lsat is biased against those who come from low socio-economic levels and are probably not given the best educations. Yes this is typically minority students but no race is not the prereq.



So the negro community is frowning on his shenanigans?



So you are from the south... :roll:



What the fuck are you talking about?

I am, but what does that have to do with anything?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:39 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
merichard87 wrote:I'm quite offended that you think black people or mexican americans or any other minority can't speak english well enough to do well on the lsat. If anything the lsat is biased against those who come from low socio-economic levels and are probably not given the best educations. Yes this is typically minority students but no race is not the prereq.



So the negro community is frowning on his shenanigans?



So you are from the south... :roll:


Look at MeRichards avatar.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:39 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
kalvano wrote:
merichard87 wrote:I'm quite offended that you think black people or mexican americans or any other minority can't speak english well enough to do well on the lsat. If anything the lsat is biased against those who come from low socio-economic levels and are probably not given the best educations. Yes this is typically minority students but no race is not the prereq.



So the negro community is frowning on his shenanigans?


So this is what an attempt at humor from a Boston College reject looks like..



I got rejected from way better schools than that.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby daesonesb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:41 pm

kalvano wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
merichard87 wrote:I'm quite offended that you think black people or mexican americans or any other minority can't speak english well enough to do well on the lsat. If anything the lsat is biased against those who come from low socio-economic levels and are probably not given the best educations. Yes this is typically minority students but no race is not the prereq.



So the negro community is frowning on his shenanigans?



So you are from the south... :roll:



What the fuck are you talking about?

I am, but what does that have to do with anything?


It's kind of a giveaway when you say things like "negro community."

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:41 pm

kalvano wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
kalvano wrote:
merichard87 wrote:I'm quite offended that you think black people or mexican americans or any other minority can't speak english well enough to do well on the lsat. If anything the lsat is biased against those who come from low socio-economic levels and are probably not given the best educations. Yes this is typically minority students but no race is not the prereq.



So the negro community is frowning on his shenanigans?


So this is what an attempt at humor from a Boston College reject looks like..



I got rejected from way better schools than that.


ehh.. my bad.. i didnt look at the avatar and took what u said as an attempt to make a racial jab of some sort..

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:42 pm

Image

He was replying to teh post who had this as his avatar. You can stop the bizarro lynching now.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby merichard87 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:43 pm

kalvano wrote:
merichard87 wrote:I'm quite offended that you think black people or mexican americans or any other minority can't speak english well enough to do well on the lsat. If anything the lsat is biased against those who come from low socio-economic levels and are probably not given the best educations. Yes this is typically minority students but no race is not the prereq.



So the negro community is frowning on his shenanigans?


Exactly!

And no I don't have any statistics about LSAT in particular but I do remember a professor talking about some research indicating that conclusion regarding standardized testing in general. But mostly I'm basing it on personal experiences.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
He was replying to teh post who had this as his avatar. You can stop the bizarro lynching now.



They come out in droves... :roll: really necessary?

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Is the LSAT racist?

Is it racist to ask if the LSAT is racist?

Is it racist to post snarky responses to a thread asking of the LSAT is racist?

Is it racist to post a snarky response to snarky responses asking if the LSAT is racist?

DELETED

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:46 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
He was replying to teh post who had this as his avatar. You can stop the bizarro lynching now.



They come out in droves... :roll: really necessary?


It was funny and therefore yes it was necessary.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby merichard87 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Damn I didn't know my avatar would cause such a stir. Relax ya'll. Kalvano is good people. (as much as I can tell good people from the internet)

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
He was replying to teh post who had this as his avatar. You can stop the bizarro lynching now.



They come out in droves... :roll: really necessary?


It was funny and therefore yes it was necessary.


Funny to who? I never found references to lynching funny.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby merichard87 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:47 pm

And I'm a female. Just FYI.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Image

He was replying to teh post who had this as his avatar. You can stop the bizarro lynching now.


TLS is putting me on edge... in the last two days I have read threads saying you can spontaneously network your way into a job by just having a good personality, minorities shouldnt write diversity statements because their applications make it clear they are minorities, Akron Law is competitive with Case and a post where someone said their gpa from John Carroll Univ. would get a special treatment because JCU is ranked 7th in the midwest...

TLS has been a disaster of epic proportions lately to say the least..
Last edited by rundoxierun on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:48 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
He was replying to teh post who had this as his avatar. You can stop the bizarro lynching now.



They come out in droves... :roll: really necessary?


It was funny and therefore yes it was necessary.


Funny to who? I never found references to lynching funny.


Probably because you have no sense of humor.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:49 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Image

He was replying to teh post who had this as his avatar. You can stop the bizarro lynching now.


TLS is putting me on edge... in the last two days I have read threads saying you can spontaneously network your way into a job by just having a good personality, minorities shouldnt write diversity statements cause their applications make it clear they are minorities, Akron Law is competitive with Case and a post where someone said there gpa from John Carroll Univ. would get a special treatment because JCU is ranked 7th in the midwest...

TLS has been a disaster of epic proportions lately to say the least..


Haha, very true.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Probably because you have no sense of humor.



Right. Lynching and racism crack a room up all the time. :roll:

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:53 pm

Jesus fucking Christ.

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:55 pm

nealric wrote:Is the LSAT racist?

Is it racist to ask if the LSAT is racist?

Is it racist to post snarky responses to a thread asking of the LSAT is racist?

Is it racist to post a snarky response to snarky responses asking if the LSAT is racist?

Image


RELAX!!!!
--ImageRemoved--

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: is lsat racist?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:56 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Probably because you have no sense of humor.



Right. Lynching and racism crack a room up all the time. :roll:


They in fact do.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bns212, dannyswo, MSNbot Media, Wipfelder, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests