Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ikari_ningen
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby ikari_ningen » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Favor2010 wrote:Cute...but, this is not the case King James. I was accepted to all, but one of the schools I applied to (waitlisted at a T14)and am attending a T30 (in the region I want to live) on a scholarship. It doesn't really matter, though! Even if the individual was me, would you have any advice to offer?
Thanks everyone for your responses (positive or negative). My friend always wants to talk about law school, and I do not know what else to say to him/her at this point. Maybe in time, this issue will resolve itself. The person in question will surprise us all and knock out a 170 LSAT, he/she will realize I have no additional advice to offer, or maybe he/she will find another dream. Best of luck to each of you moving forward!! Thanks again. It has been helpful to discuss this with fellow TLSers.

Are you not sure what sex your friend is?

Favor2010
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby Favor2010 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:55 pm

LOL...the friend is not on TLS but some of the friend's other friends are. They don't know me, but I dont want it to be too obvious I guess. I am sure, if they browsed this forum they would figure it out anyway at this point. But oh well.

ikari_ningen wrote:
Favor2010 wrote:Cute...but, this is not the case King James. I was accepted to all, but one of the schools I applied to (waitlisted at a T14)and am attending a T30 (in the region I want to live) on a scholarship. It doesn't really matter, though! Even if the individual was me, would you have any advice to offer?
Thanks everyone for your responses (positive or negative). My friend always wants to talk about law school, and I do not know what else to say to him/her at this point. Maybe in time, this issue will resolve itself. The person in question will surprise us all and knock out a 170 LSAT, he/she will realize I have no additional advice to offer, or maybe he/she will find another dream. Best of luck to each of you moving forward!! Thanks again. It has been helpful to discuss this with fellow TLSers.

Are you not sure what sex your friend is?

ikari_ningen
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby ikari_ningen » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Favor2010 wrote:LOL...the friend is not on TLS but some of the friend's other friends are. They don't know me, but I dont want it to be too obvious I guess. I am sure, if they browsed this forum they would figure it out anyway at this point. But oh well.

ikari_ningen wrote:
Favor2010 wrote:Cute...but, this is not the case King James. I was accepted to all, but one of the schools I applied to (waitlisted at a T14)and am attending a T30 (in the region I want to live) on a scholarship. It doesn't really matter, though! Even if the individual was me, would you have any advice to offer?
Thanks everyone for your responses (positive or negative). My friend always wants to talk about law school, and I do not know what else to say to him/her at this point. Maybe in time, this issue will resolve itself. The person in question will surprise us all and knock out a 170 LSAT, he/she will realize I have no additional advice to offer, or maybe he/she will find another dream. Best of luck to each of you moving forward!! Thanks again. It has been helpful to discuss this with fellow TLSers.

Are you not sure what sex your friend is?

I would think that LSAT score and GPA would be a dead giveaway, even more than the sex. And the age. And the work experience. But yeah, total anonymity WIN!
Last edited by ikari_ningen on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby cubswin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:01 pm

Favor2010 wrote:LOL...the friend is not on TLS but some of the friend's other friends are. They don't know me, but I dont want it to be too obvious I guess. I am sure, if they browsed this forum they would figure it out anyway at this point. But oh well.

ikari_ningen wrote:
Favor2010 wrote:Cute...but, this is not the case King James. I was accepted to all, but one of the schools I applied to (waitlisted at a T14)and am attending a T30 (in the region I want to live) on a scholarship. It doesn't really matter, though! Even if the individual was me, would you have any advice to offer?
Thanks everyone for your responses (positive or negative). My friend always wants to talk about law school, and I do not know what else to say to him/her at this point. Maybe in time, this issue will resolve itself. The person in question will surprise us all and knock out a 170 LSAT, he/she will realize I have no additional advice to offer, or maybe he/she will find another dream. Best of luck to each of you moving forward!! Thanks again. It has been helpful to discuss this with fellow TLSers.

Are you not sure what sex your friend is?


Isn't the GPA/LSAT combo, three LSAT attempts, and uncertainty about possibly attending law school probably a lot more indicative of who you are talking about than your friend's sex? Do you have male and female friends that satisfy all those conditions?

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:07 pm

FWIW, a low GPA isn't a complete disqualification, given the presence of other factors. I had a 2.3x and I'll be at a lower T1 this fall (granted I had a good reason for the GPA and my LSAT approached 170).

Not sure what the options are for the person in question. I tend to think that a great LSAT is truly the only way to overcome a miserable GPA.

Favor2010
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby Favor2010 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:10 pm

I think you are both right. It would be easy to figure it out without too much effort. I felt the GPA/LSAT combo and the multiple attempts were necessary in order to get the situation. Simply saying the person had a Low GPA/LSAT combo would not be enough. Some of us TLSers think 3.0 and 155 are low numbers, and to a few others those numbers are golden. The person's sex would not change the situation or the advice very much. The numbers certainly would!

cubswin wrote:
Favor2010 wrote:LOL...the friend is not on TLS but some of the friend's other friends are. They don't know me, but I dont want it to be too obvious I guess. I am sure, if they browsed this forum they would figure it out anyway at this point. But oh well.

ikari_ningen wrote:
Favor2010 wrote:Cute...but, this is not the case King James. I was accepted to all, but one of the schools I applied to (waitlisted at a T14)and am attending a T30 (in the region I want to live) on a scholarship. It doesn't really matter, though! Even if the individual was me, would you have any advice to offer?
Thanks everyone for your responses (positive or negative). My friend always wants to talk about law school, and I do not know what else to say to him/her at this point. Maybe in time, this issue will resolve itself. The person in question will surprise us all and knock out a 170 LSAT, he/she will realize I have no additional advice to offer, or maybe he/she will find another dream. Best of luck to each of you moving forward!! Thanks again. It has been helpful to discuss this with fellow TLSers.

Are you not sure what sex your friend is?


Isn't the GPA/LSAT combo, three LSAT attempts, and uncertainty about possibly attending law school probably a lot more indicative of who you are talking about than your friend's sex? Do you have male and female friends that satisfy all those conditions?
Last edited by Favor2010 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Favor2010
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby Favor2010 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks for your feedback. Congrats!! I will share your success story with my friend. And just reiterate the importance of a high LSAT score (target 170), and a great GPA addendum. I am not sure if they have a good reason for the GPA. The person only told me that they didn't realize how important undergrad grades would be so many years later.
Ty Webb wrote:FWIW, a low GPA isn't a complete disqualification, given the presence of other factors. I had a 2.3x and I'll be at a lower T1 this fall (granted I had a good reason for the GPA and my LSAT approached 170).

Not sure what the options are for the person in question. I tend to think that a great LSAT is truly the only way to overcome a miserable GPA.

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:18 pm

Favor2010 wrote:Thanks for your feedback. Congrats!! I will share your success story with my friend. And just reiterate the importance of a high LSAT score (target 170), and a great GPA addendum. I am not sure if they have a good reason for the GPA. The person only told me that they didn't realize how important undergrad grades would be so many years later.
Ty Webb wrote:FWIW, a low GPA isn't a complete disqualification, given the presence of other factors. I had a 2.3x and I'll be at a lower T1 this fall (granted I had a good reason for the GPA and my LSAT approached 170).

Not sure what the options are for the person in question. I tend to think that a great LSAT is truly the only way to overcome a miserable GPA.


In the interest of full disclosure, my LSAT was a (disappointing) 166. So it's not THAT far out of reach. I don't think raising your score 20 points on the 4th try is typical, though.

With that said, I think a 160 would get him in somewhere. I don't know that the somewhere would be decent.

Favor2010
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby Favor2010 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:23 pm

8)

Ty Webb wrote:
Favor2010 wrote:Thanks for your feedback. Congrats!! I will share your success story with my friend. And just reiterate the importance of a high LSAT score (target 170), and a great GPA addendum. I am not sure if they have a good reason for the GPA. The person only told me that they didn't realize how important undergrad grades would be so many years later.
Ty Webb wrote:FWIW, a low GPA isn't a complete disqualification, given the presence of other factors. I had a 2.3x and I'll be at a lower T1 this fall (granted I had a good reason for the GPA and my LSAT approached 170).

Not sure what the options are for the person in question. I tend to think that a great LSAT is truly the only way to overcome a miserable GPA.


In the interest of full disclosure, my LSAT was a (disappointing) 166. So it's not THAT far out of reach. I don't think raising your score 20 points on the 4th try is typical, though.

With that said, I think a 160 would get him in somewhere. I don't know that the somewhere would be decent.

User avatar
KingJames6
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby KingJames6 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:03 pm

cubswin wrote:
KingJames6 wrote:ah the classic "my friend (I) has (have) this problem, can you help him (me)??"


A quick scan of OP's previous posts makes your theory look incorrect.



hmmm good point. lol

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby lawschoollll » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Subtly point your friend to TLS for advice. He won't like the advice, but it'll be for his own good.

prosp23
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby prosp23 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:48 pm

I don't know what state you're in, but California and a very few other states allow people to take the baby bar and then sit for the bar. Alternatively, maybe your friend would be better off applying to a non-accredited/online school and then sitting for the bar.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Any advice for a friend with low GPA/LSAT

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:05 pm

Good grief. Why is this thread still going?

The person in question has no business at all going to any type of law school or representing clients in a court of law.

Sorry, life sucks and doesn't always work out the way you want. Time to move on.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger and 6 guests