3.17/171, ED Penn?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
susanasanjuan
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby susanasanjuan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:56 pm

-
Last edited by susanasanjuan on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

susanasanjuan
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby susanasanjuan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:59 pm

-----
Last edited by susanasanjuan on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

susanasanjuan
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby susanasanjuan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:21 pm

bump! Can I do that?

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby CG614 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:22 pm

susanasanjuan wrote:bump! Can I do that?

No.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:30 pm

susanasanjuan wrote:bump! Can I do that?

Bumping after only 20 minutes will offend people and possibly get you banned, so please don't do it.

That said, your numbers make ED at Penn a logical choice. You're not that likely to get in RD, but you do stand a good chance of getting in ED. However, you'll be paying sticker.

Your Diversity Statement will be a wild card. I can't say that you'd get a definite boost for that at all; many schools don't actively pursue that kind of diversity (yet). Plus, schools much higher than Penn typically don't take that many students with low GPAs no matter how "diverse" they are. So, EDing to Penn is probably still a good idea.

mrcommodore18
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby mrcommodore18 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:47 pm

............
Last edited by mrcommodore18 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

susanasanjuan
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby susanasanjuan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:52 pm

And the purposes of the diversity statement illustrate themselves once again.

susanasanjuan
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby susanasanjuan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
susanasanjuan wrote:bump! Can I do that?

Bumping after only 20 minutes will offend people and possibly get you banned, so please don't do it.

That said, your numbers make ED at Penn a logical choice. You're not that likely to get in RD, but you do stand a good chance of getting in ED. However, you'll be paying sticker.

Your Diversity Statement will be a wild card. I can't say that you'd get a definite boost for that at all; many schools don't actively pursue that kind of diversity (yet)
. Plus, schools much higher than Penn typically don't take that many students with low GPAs no matter how "diverse" they are. So, EDing to Penn is probably still a good idea.



I figure that depends on how I play it. People write diversity statements for being gay, no? I figure it couldn't hurt.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 pm

susanasanjuan wrote:I figure that depends on how I play it. People write diversity statements for being gay, no? I figure it couldn't hurt.

I don't think it'll hurt either, I'm just saying it's a scenario where you shouldn't expect it to help too much (thus reinforcing the idea that ED to Penn is a good choice).

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:26 pm

mrcommodore18 wrote:LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

I can only imagine a [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] lawyer. Dear god...

Please explain these comments in a way that doesn't make me ban you.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:09 am

vanwinkle wrote:
mrcommodore18 wrote:LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

I can only imagine a [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] lawyer. Dear god...

Please explain these comments in a way that doesn't make me ban you.

Gave him a day, no response, so: 1-month ban for offensive comments toward transgendered people in a public forum. The admissions forums are meant to be a place for people of all races and genders to get help, without being trolled.

theanswer
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby theanswer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:17 am

vanwinkle wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
mrcommodore18 wrote:LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

I can only imagine a [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] lawyer. Dear god...

Please explain these comments in a way that doesn't make me ban you.

Gave him a day, no response, so: 1-month ban for offensive comments toward transgendered people in a public forum. The admissions forums are meant to be a place for people of all races and genders to get help, without being trolled.


Oh wow you are such a good moderator sticking up for the little guy keeping bigots out of online forums where would we be without you we wouldnt want any bigots getting into online forums what would happen to us if that happend omgomgomgomg

Give people even a small amount of authority and look what it does to them.

Hey vanwinkle am I in danger of getting banned if I bump this thread up in 19 minutes instead of 20?

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby TheBigMediocre » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:21 am

theanswer wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
mrcommodore18 wrote:LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

I can only imagine a [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] lawyer. Dear god...

Please explain these comments in a way that doesn't make me ban you.

Gave him a day, no response, so: 1-month ban for offensive comments toward transgendered people in a public forum. The admissions forums are meant to be a place for people of all races and genders to get help, without being trolled.


Oh wow you are such a good moderator sticking up for the little guy keeping bigots out of online forums where would we be without you we wouldnt want any bigots getting into online forums what would happen to us if that happend omgomgomgomg

Give people even a small amount of authority and look what it does to them.

Hey vanwinkle am I in danger of getting banned if I bump this thread up in 19 minutes instead of 20?


Commodore was being a dick; Vanwinkle remedied the situation. Now you're being a dick and I hope he remedies the situation again.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:25 am

theanswer wrote:Oh wow you are such a good moderator sticking up for the little guy keeping bigots out of online forums where would we be without you we wouldnt want any bigots getting into online forums what would happen to us if that happend omgomgomgomg

Give people even a small amount of authority and look what it does to them.

Hey vanwinkle am I in danger of getting banned if I bump this thread up in 19 minutes instead of 20?

You're in danger of being banned for hijacking a thread to complain about mod behavior. If you want to do that, I won't stop you, but do it in the Lounge since it's off-topic to this forum.

This is not a free speech zone, or a place where the First Amendment applies. TLS is a business, and the resource it's peddling is information. My job is to make sure that information is properly available, and that includes making sure posters like OP feel free to post and ask for advice without being harassed or have their thread hijacked after that harassment.

Commodore got his warning; now you get yours. Stay on-topic, or get the banhammer. TLS won't miss a user with only 40 posts, so don't make the mistake of believing I give a damn what you think.

OP, I apologize for the amount of derailing that has occurred in this thread. Hopefully users posting here will stay on-topic from now on.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:32 am

I don't know much about ED at penn, but I can help with UCLA. I think if you apply RD to UCLA and the diversity statement that you are looking at big money. UCLA has the Williams center so that would be a big plus and give you a boost...good luck!

oh and ignore the idiots :)...congrats on your numbers they are just jelouse

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby CG614 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:41 am

Edited: I gave advice that I do not have any real authority to give.
Last edited by CG614 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby doyleoil » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 am

it won't hurt, especially at penn

but the others are right that, as a soft factor, it probably won't change much what the numbers predict
Last edited by doyleoil on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby CG614 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:49 am

.

ogurty
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 am

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby ogurty » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:47 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:I don't know much about ED at penn, but I can help with UCLA. I think if you apply RD to UCLA and the diversity statement that you are looking at big money. UCLA has the Williams center so that would be a big plus and give you a boost...good luck!

oh and ignore the idiots :)...congrats on your numbers they are just jelouse


I don't think LGBT applicants get a boost at UCLA or anywhere else. Gay people are not underrepresented, and I doubt transgendered people are either.
As for OP, the 3.17 is a big hill to climb in applications, and I can only wish you luck. Be sure to cast the net wide and apply early.

susanasanjuan
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby susanasanjuan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:48 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:I think if you apply RD to UCLA and the diversity statement that you are looking at big money. UCLA has the Williams center so that would be a big plus and give you a boost...good luck!



Do others agree with this? I was thinking with my GPA I wouldn't be getting much money from anywhere in the T16 or so. Hence the ED at Penn if I'm going to pay sticker anyway.


crossingforHYS wrote:oh and ignore the idiots :)...congrats on your numbers they are just jelouse


I half expected comments of the sort when I posted...I just want advice on my app.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:55 pm

susanasanjuan wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:I think if you apply RD to UCLA and the diversity statement that you are looking at big money. UCLA has the Williams center so that would be a big plus and give you a boost...good luck!

Do others agree with this? I was thinking with my GPA I wouldn't be getting much money from anywhere in the T16 or so. Hence the ED at Penn if I'm going to pay sticker anyway.

I don't agree with it, because UCLA is a school that strongly disfavors low GPAs. I've seen lots of applicants (myself included) with GPAs below 3.2-3.3 and high LSATs, who were WL'd or rejected at UCLA but accepted in the T14. The UC schools (from Berkeley on down) seem to care about low GPAs a lot more than any of the other top law schools.

You have a real shot at getting into a number of lower T14 schools, but I think your instincts are right that your odds of $$$ are fairly small. ED will at least guarantee you get into the school you most want to get into.

susanasanjuan
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby susanasanjuan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:00 pm

ogurty wrote:I don't think LGBT applicants get a boost at UCLA or anywhere else. Gay people are not underrepresented, and I doubt transgendered people are either.
As for OP, the 3.17 is a big hill to climb in applications, and I can only wish you luck. Be sure to cast the net wide and apply early.


This may be true for gays and lesbians, but I don't think it is for trans people. From this http://www.gender.org/resources/dge/gea01011.pdf study in D.C.: A third of trans people earned less than $10,000 per year, and only 58% had paid employment. I don't imagine that there were many of biglaw associates in the mix.

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: 3.17/171, ED Penn?

Postby jay115 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 am

ogurty wrote:
I don't think LGBT applicants get a boost at UCLA or anywhere else. Gay people are not underrepresented, and I doubt transgendered people are either.
As for OP, the 3.17 is a big hill to climb in applications, and I can only wish you luck. Be sure to cast the net wide and apply early.


For various reasons, I think UCLA is very deferential to LGBT students. Independent of your numbers, I suggest you visit the communities in which the law schools you are considering are located. I can't emphasize this enough, especially if you've never been to a place before. Even though they're all urban, SF =/= LA =/= NY =/= Philly (obviously).




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mrtux45, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests