Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby 4102011 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:30 am

Emailed Virginia last night, got a response this morning and got it! :)

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:49 am

Has anyone gotten anything or contacted Ohio State about fee waivers? Not sure if they send theirs later since their app isn't up until Sept 15th.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:51 am

dulcatis wrote:Emailed Virginia last night, got a response this morning and got it! :)

Congrats, twin!

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:52 am

GettingReady2010 wrote:Edit: Also, while changing up my enrollment date, I realized that I was listed under "European" and not "Caucasian/other." All this means is that I'm of European decent and not actually from Europe, right? I know this isn't exactly on-topic, but I didn't want to create an entirely new thread for this question.

IIRC Caucasian usually means of European descent or I have at least seen some apps that say Caucasian then stipulates this by the choice.
Last edited by ArchRoark on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnBoy

Postby JohnBoy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:54 am

Barbie wrote:how do you change it? I decided to wait a year too, didn't even think about it...

LSAG.org--->Profile (on the left side bar)--->CRS-->Edit CRS preferences

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:32 am

JohnBoy wrote:
Barbie wrote:how do you change it? I decided to wait a year too, didn't even think about it...

LSAG.org--->Profile (on the left side bar)--->CRS-->Edit CRS preferences

ahh! just changed mine from 2010 to 2011. I hope that helps!

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Anyone else get a really long email from Villanova last night? :roll:

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:11 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Anyone else get a really long email from Villanova last night? :roll:

yep

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:17 pm

JJDancer wrote:Emailed William and Mary for one today... we shall see.

Within 24 hours: "We will be happy to waive our application fee based on your LSAT score."
Waiver code that must be used by Halloween.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:21 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Anyone else get a really long email from Villanova last night? :roll:

Yup, lots of info with no waiver attached. Very useful. Also got an e-mail from Cincinnati this morning telling me that they are now accepting applications.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:25 pm

beachbum wrote:

Yup, lots of info with no waiver attached. Very useful. Also got an e-mail from Cincinnati this morning telling me that they are now accepting applications.

Yes. Thank you, Cincinnati Law, for letting me know. PS: If I want to apply to your school, I will, and if I don't, you had better be emailing me with some incentive to, like a fee waiver. Otherwise, save us both the trouble. <3

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:31 pm

eskimo wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Yes. Thank you, Cincinnati Law, for letting me know. PS: If I want to apply to your school, I will, and if I don't, you had better be emailing me with some incentive to, like a fee waiver. Otherwise, save us both the trouble. <3

Cinci sent out fee waivers months ago.
I got one for the current year (just now changed that on LSAC.. damn) but it says that it also applies to this year.
Not applying there though.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:20 pm

I emailed Maryland today about a fee waiver and here is the response:

In order to be considered for this type of waiver you must submit your request in writing with the following documentation:
1) Copy of your LSAT score report.
2) Most recent undergraduate transcript with cumulative GPA.
3) Resume.
4) Brief statement of interest describing the potential applicant’s specific reasons for applying to the University of Maryland School of Law and why you feel you deserve a merit based application fee waiver.

Worth trying to save $60?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:29 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:I emailed Maryland today about a fee waiver and here is the response:

In order to be considered for this type of waiver you must submit your request in writing with the following documentation:
3) Resume.
4) Brief statement of interest describing the potential applicant’s specific reasons for applying to the University of Maryland School of Law and why you feel you deserve a merit based application fee waiver.

Jeez, not to me. It's $10 to send transcripts, maybe money to send a copy of LSAT score report? Time is money, F that.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:33 pm

lifestooquick wrote:Has anyone gotten anything or contacted Ohio State about fee waivers? Not sure if they send theirs later since their app isn't up until Sept 15th.

I'd e-mail them now. Get in before the rush.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Barbie wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:I emailed Maryland today about a fee waiver and here is the response:

3) Resume.

Jeez, not to me. It's $10 to send transcripts, maybe money to send a copy of LSAT score report? Time is money, F that.

It depends on how much you want it really. That is definitely a pain in the ass, but you should already have a resume done, and sending in a transcript isn't too difficult. The essay is kind of a pain but take 20 minutes and bang out a few paragraph "Why Maryland" essay. And i'm assuming you can just send your score to them through LSAC? Of course...you still might not get a fee waiver after all that.

I probably would pass. If it was a guaranteed waiver I would probably put up with all that, but since you can do all that and might still be rejected, I don't know if it's worth it. There are definitely better ways you could be spending your time, lol.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:

3) Resume.

It depends on how much you want it really. That is definitely a pain in the ass, but you should already have a resume done, and sending in a transcript isn't too difficult. The essay is kind of a pain but take 20 minutes and bang out a few paragraph "Why Maryland" essay. And i'm assuming you can just send your score to them through LSAC? Of course...you still might not get a fee waiver after all that.

I probably would pass. If it was a guaranteed waiver I would probably put up with all that, but since you can do all that and might still be rejected, I don't know if it's worth it. There are definitely better ways you could be spending your time, lol.

That's just a long-winded "no" to me, lol. Totally not worth it. It could be that they're doing the "only the strongest survive" thing to see if he'll actually jump through all the hoops to get a prize, but then again, maybe they're just ridiculous.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:39 pm

mpasi wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:

3) Resume.

That's just a long-winded "no" to me, lol. Totally not worth it. It could be that they're doing the "only the strongest survive" thing to see if he'll actually jump through all the hoops to get a prize, but then again, maybe they're just ridiculous.

Pretty much. Actually more like a long-winded "No, unless you are really hurting for money and/or really really want Maryland and/or have a lot of free time and nothing better to do." Although that is pretty much long-winded as well :oops:.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Knockglock wrote:I probably would pass. If it was a guaranteed waiver I would probably put up with all that, but since you can do all that and might still be rejected, I don't know if it's worth it. There are definitely better ways you could be spending your time, lol.

Yeah I have the resume of course. I have a copy of my unofficial transcript that was free from my school. Can I just photocopy that? Because yeah, official transcripts cost $$.

Also could I not just print out my LSAT report and mail that? Or does that need to be, in some way, "official."

The short "Why" essay would really only take a bit of time. I'm slightly below median GPA and several pts above 75th% LSAT.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:44 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
Knockglock wrote:I probably would pass. If it was a guaranteed waiver I would probably put up with all that, but since you can do all that and might still be rejected, I don't know if it's worth it. There are definitely better ways you could be spending your time, lol.

Yeah I have the resume of course. I have a copy of my unofficial transcript that was free from my school. Can I just photocopy that? Because yeah, official transcripts cost $$.

Also could I not just print out my LSAT report and mail that? Or does that need to be, in some way, "official."

The short "Why" essay would really only take a bit of time. I'm slightly below median GPA and several pts above 75th% LSAT.

Send them the unofficial stuff, don't spend too much time on the Why Maryland? essay, and I think it's worth it. Can't hurt.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:45 pm

Also, got code from Wake and re-emailed Colorado, no response yet.

Thanks everyone.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:02 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:Also, got code from Wake and re-emailed Colorado, no response yet.

Thanks everyone.

Wake told me not to email for the code until I am ready to submit, and they aren't even open yet?
Hmm...

and I also re-emailed CU, with numbers way crappier than yours though.
Also no response yet.
Last edited by Barbie on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:06 pm

Tiva wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:Edit: Also, while changing up my enrollment date, I realized that I was listed under "European" and not "Caucasian/other." All this means is that I'm of European decent and not actually from Europe, right? I know this isn't exactly on-topic, but I didn't want to create an entirely new thread for this question.

IIRC Caucasian usually means of European descent or I have at least seen some apps that say Caucasian then stipulates this by the choice.

So are you saying that "European" as it is listed on the LSAC profile is referring to people that were born or actually live in Europe?

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:06 pm

Barbie wrote:Wake told me not to email for the code until I am ready to submit, and they aren't even open yet?
Hmm...

and I also re-emailed UC, with numbers way crappier than yours though.
Also no response yet.

Hmm not sure. I emailed initially about a week ago and I was told I would get one and another person would email me soon. I had kind of forgotten about it until I got the email today with a code. But you're right, Wake isn't open yet. For some reason I thought they opened today too.

As far as sending Maryland a copy of my LSAT report: If I print the page "LSAT status" it shows my score, percentile, etc but nowhere does it prove that it is me. Now, if I just ctrl+print screen and printed that, it has my LSAC# on the sidebar. Guess that is sufficient?

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:12 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
Barbie wrote:Wake told me not to email for the code until I am ready to submit, and they aren't even open yet?
Hmm...

and I also re-emailed UC, with numbers way crappier than yours though.
Also no response yet.

Hmm not sure. I emailed initially about a week ago and I was told I would get one and another person would email me soon. I had kind of forgotten about it until I got the email today with a code. But you're right, Wake isn't open yet. For some reason I thought they opened today too.

As far as sending Maryland a copy of my LSAT report: If I print the page "LSAT status" it shows my score, percentile, etc but nowhere does it prove that it is me. Now, if I just ctrl+print screen and printed that, it has my LSAC# on the sidebar. Guess that is sufficient?

Yep, I'd just print screen and paste into Word and make sure it looks nice, then send it off!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”