Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ArchRoark

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Received the Regent waiver today.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:13 pm

I just requested a waiver from Loyola University Chicago, only to be told that the fee is waived for all applicants who apply online. I feel a little obnoxious, since it's clearly stated on the main page of their website.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:34 pm

cubswin wrote:I just requested a waiver from Loyola University Chicago, only to be told that the fee is waived for all applicants who apply online. I feel a little obnoxious, since it's clearly stated on the main page of their website.

This has happened to me several times in the last few weeks. So what. It's not like we have the time to read every schools websites page by page. Surely they can understand that. Don't worry about it.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:40 pm

cubswin wrote:I just requested a waiver from Loyola University Chicago, only to be told that the fee is waived for all applicants who apply online. I feel a little obnoxious, since it's clearly stated on the main page of their website.

Interesting. I wish there on was a list of schools on TLS that do this.

Also, don't worry about asking Loyola about it. I think many of us applying to law school are obsessed with details and have a bad habit of over-thinking every little thing.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:45 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:

Interesting. I wish there on was a list of schools on TLS that do this.

Also, don't worry about asking Loyola about it. I think many of us applying to law school are obsessed with details and have a bad habit of over-thinking every little thing.

Yeah, I wasn't too serious. Loyola would be lucky to have me, anyway. :)

I just kind of felt like a customer who asks an employee where the restroom is, when the employee is standing a gigantic sign that says RESTROOM with an arrow pointing you in the right direction.

JohnBoy

Postby JohnBoy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:15 pm

For everyone who took the LSAT and thought about applying in 2010:

I emailed Duke for a fee waiver. The admissions director wrote a personal letter saying my name came up on their list but my profile said 2010 applicant. I failed to change it to 2011 when I decided to wait a year. If you are having issues getting waivers this may be a reason.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:54 pm

beachbum wrote:"Here at Regent, we're always watching you. ....Always."

Anyone else get this line? No?

I did :oops:

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:30 am

Haven't got a fee waiver in a while, still nothing from Cornell, or anything from anywhere else. Only thing i've gotten in the last couple of weeks was an invitation to apply to Michigan State, no fee waiver. Kind of weird. I wonder if it's because I don't have a LSAC gpa yet (waiting on final transcript).

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:54 am

Knockglock wrote:Haven't got a fee waiver in a while, still nothing from Cornell, or anything from anywhere else. Only thing i've gotten in the last couple of weeks was an invitation to apply to Michigan State, no fee waiver. Kind of weird. I wonder if it's because I don't have a LSAC gpa yet (waiting on final transcript).

Michigan State: We have pictures of dudes wearing suits.

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:29 am

Knockglock wrote:Haven't got a fee waiver in a while, still nothing from Cornell, or anything from anywhere else. Only thing i've gotten in the last couple of weeks was an invitation to apply to Michigan State, no fee waiver. Kind of weird. I wonder if it's because I don't have a LSAC gpa yet (waiting on final transcript).

I think it's the transcript thing. Did I tell you I got a brochure from Cornell but no fee waiver? :evil: I cried so much that day.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:55 am

kazu wrote:

I think it's the transcript thing. Did I tell you I got a brochure from Cornell but no fee waiver? :evil: I cried so much that day.

But you're not even seriously considering Cornell are you?

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:19 am

This may have already been asked, but I can't comb through 36 pages.

If I'm taking the October LSAT and want to apply as soon as possible after receiving my score, should I not bother requesting fee waivers? I'll be aiming for T14 based on my expected scores. Should I just email the schools where I want to apply the day I get my scores back and request waivers? Or will they take so long to get back to me that I'll risk not getting my applications in early enough?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:25 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:This may have already been asked, but I can't comb through 36 pages.

If I'm taking the October LSAT and want to apply as soon as possible after receiving my score, should I not bother requesting fee waivers? I'll be aiming for T14 based on my expected scores. Should I just email the schools where I want to apply the day I get my scores back and request waivers? Or will they take so long to get back to me that I'll risk not getting my applications in early enough?

I would probably wait till you have a reported LSAT score that you are happy with. The vast majorities of schools I contacted responded within a day or two.

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:39 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
But you're not even seriously considering Cornell are you?

Yeah I was just joking. Still, it would've been nice to feel wanted :oops:

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:11 pm

Emailed William and Mary for one today... we shall see.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:17 pm

JohnBoy wrote:For everyone who took the LSAT and thought about applying in 2010:

I emailed Duke for a fee waiver. The admissions director wrote a personal letter saying my name came up on their list but my profile said 2010 applicant. I failed to change it to 2011 when I decided to wait a year. If you are having issues getting waivers this may be a reason.

Thanks for this. I just changed my CRS thing to expected 2011 enrollment. That should do it, right?

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:28 pm

JJDancer wrote:Emailed William and Mary for one today... we shall see.

william and mary hands em out like candy.. so does UVirginia. try them as well.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:54 pm

If I was unemployed in 2009 and didn't file a tax return, would I be ineligible for LSAC's fee waiver? Or should I just start e-mailing schools and asking directly?

afcanoe

Postby afcanoe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:02 pm

Hannibal wrote:

Michigan State: We have pictures of dudes wearing suits.

+1 (from a Wolverine).

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:04 pm

mpasi wrote:If I was unemployed in 2009 and didn't file a tax return, would I be ineligible for LSAC's fee waiver? Or should I just start e-mailing schools and asking directly?

No, they still ask what you made/what you would have bu if you had filed.

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:48 pm

Fyi - Iowa just rejected me for a waiver, but told me they were waiving people with stats at 164 or GPA at 3.8.

JohnBoy

Postby JohnBoy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:46 pm

lawschoollll wrote:

Thanks for this. I just changed my CRS thing to expected 2011 enrollment. That should do it, right?[/quote]

Ya, I changed it and started getting more waivers. I had gotten a couple before, but not near as many as last cycle. Depending on your numbers you should see an increase.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:39 pm

JohnBoy wrote:For everyone who took the LSAT and thought about applying in 2010:

how do you change it? I decided to wait a year too, didn't even think about it...

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:48 pm

JohnBoy wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:

Thanks for this. I just changed my CRS thing to expected 2011 enrollment. That should do it, right?

Ya, I changed it and started getting more waivers. I had gotten a couple before, but not near as many as last cycle. Depending on your numbers you should see an increase.[/quote]

Thanks for giving us a heads-up about the enrollment date. I just hope we didn't miss out on several waivers because this oversight.

Edit: Also, while changing up my enrollment date, I realized that I was listed under "European" and not "Caucasian/other." All this means is that I'm of European decent and not actually from Europe, right? I know this isn't exactly on-topic, but I didn't want to create an entirely new thread for this question.
Last edited by GettingReady2010 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:02 pm

hey yall I just emailed the schools that said to wait until the end of august/ sept 1st to message them in regards to criteria. This includes UConn, Denver, and CU. Hopefully I'll get some positive feedback! Let yall know!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”