Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
acrossthelake

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:11 am

Random thought:

Hey guys isn't it great that LSAT scores and admissions decisions are released through the interwebs(or phone) nowadays instead of having to wait for the mailman?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:14 am

acrossthelake wrote:Random thought:

Hey guys isn't it great that LSAT scores and admissions decisions are released through the interwebs(or phone) nowadays instead of having to wait for the mailman?

Nah, cuz now we got to worry about it all day! Before you only had to worry about it when the mail was coming :P.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:16 am

Knockglock wrote:

Nah, cuz now we got to worry about it all day! Before you only had to worry about it when the mail was coming :P.

But you know when the LSAT score is coming!

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:19 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

But you know when the LSAT score is coming!

That didn't stop me from refreshing LSAC :oops:.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:21 am

Knockglock wrote:

You clearly have never bought something from Amazon and anxiously looked out the window every time a truck goes by.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:21 am

Knockglock wrote:

I set up my gmail to forward e-mails with the word "LSAT" in it to my cell phone cuz I had plans and didn't want to be chained to my laptop or deal with refreshing stress. Of course, it arrived right as I was about to close the browser and head out.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:24 am

Hannibal wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

You clearly have never bought something from Amazon and anxiously looked out the window every time a truck goes by.

I ordered a Droid X and that's what i'm doing currently. I actually got really stoked because a delivery truck showed up to my house as I was talking out. I eagerly took the package from the delivery women. Went into my kitchen to open it, hoping for a Droid X, and what I found was............LSAT preptests :lol:. I should've noticed the box said Amazon, lol.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:25 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

I set up my gmail to forward e-mails with the word "LSAT" in it to my cell phone cuz I had plans and didn't want to be chained to my laptop or deal with refreshing stress. Of course, it arrived right as I was about to close the browser and head out.

That's smart. I have a Blackberry so all my email went straight to my phone anyways. I actually was texting on my phone sitting at my laptop when I got my LSAT score, lol. So I found out on my Blackberry.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:15 am

Got the Cornell viewbook with fee waiver today, Phoenix AZ.

First snail mail of the cycle that I'll actually be looking at.

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:30 am

I re-took the LSAT in June and got a 167. Since then, I have received 2 e-mailed fee waivers (Mercer and University of Minnesota) and one piece of snail mail from the University of Minnesota. Is this normal? I got a 163 the first time around and I got TONS of mail.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:24 pm

Where was everyone when they got their score in June?

I was at a restaurant by my old University, visiting my old roommate. It was a thai/sushi restaurant that I loooove, but it's really quiet. My friend texted me with a "I got a ___. FUuuuck" So I jumped on my go-phone (unreliable as is) and went to my email and it was there. I was expecting a 154, hoping for a 158, and got a 163 so I yelled "No fucking shit!" really loud and all the thai/asian people scowled at me.

Didn't care... ate my chicken curry with pride :)

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:37 pm

Barbie wrote:Where was everyone when they got their score in June?

I was at a restaurant by my old University, visiting my old roommate. It was a thai/sushi restaurant that I loooove, but it's really quiet. My friend texted me with a "I got a ___. FUuuuck" So I jumped on my go-phone (unreliable as is) and went to my email and it was there. I was expecting a 154, hoping for a 158, and got a 163 so I yelled "No fucking shit!" really loud and all the thai/asian people scowled at me.

My apartment. Went straight to the bars, had to be carried home at 9.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Ildeuce wrote:

lol- in celebration? or...

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:41 pm

At home... had given up on the email and gone to sleep. Woke up, as per my ritual formed during the horrendous waiting period booted up my computer before doing anything else (including getting out of bed - my laptop was practically permanently attached to me), saw an email from LSAC and nearly had a heart attack.

Then I had to get ready for work :roll:

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Barbie wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

lol- in celebration? or...

Haha, celebration (168). To be fair, the same thing probably would've happened regardless of score.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Ildeuce wrote:Haha, celebration (168). To be fair, the same thing probably would've happened regardless of score.

Very true. I honestly think the waiting threads should have a requirement that hard liquor be on hand at all times between test date and score release date - it makes the process a lot easier :roll:

ayahara

Postby ayahara » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:16 pm

171/3.88 and .. nary a waver. CRS & intention for Fall 2011 both set. Is there anyone else with similar numbers who still isn't getting any merit-based fee waivers as well?

/shamed and poverty-stricken

PS: Can I just vent about the LSAC's official fee waiver application? If you live in an expensive city, the sheer amount of a floating rent check is enough to disqualify one from getting it. I AM NOT BITTER OR ANYTHING but yes, I am bitter. (Yes, I could have been more strategic).

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:20 pm

ayahara wrote:171/3.88 and .. nary a waver. CRS & intention for Fall 2011 both set. Is there anyone else with similar numbers who still isn't getting any merit-based fee waivers as well?

PS: Can I just vent about the LSAC's official fee waiver application? If you live in an expensive city, the sheer amount of a floating rent check is enough to disqualify one from getting it. I AM NOT BITTER OR ANYTHING but yes, I am bitter. (Yes, I could have been more strategic).

Did your appeal fail? I was originally declined, then sent in a letter explaining all of my expenses and was then granted one. Just sayin'.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:21 pm

ayahara wrote:171/3.88 and .. nary a waver. CRS & intention for Fall 2011 both set. Is there anyone else with similar numbers who still isn't getting any merit-based fee waivers as well?

That's weird, we have really similar numbers, and i've gotten a bunch of fee waivers. When did you take the LSAT? If you took it earlier than this past June there have been lots of people having similar issues.

ayahara

Postby ayahara » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Ildeuce wrote:

Did your appeal fail? I was originally declined, then sent in a letter explaining all of my expenses and was then granted one. Just sayin'.

You know, I did not appeal. I applied last year and have acquired a measly savings since .. it is very low, and would get me through about 30% of one year's living expenses while in school, but it is still more than I had at the time of my application. Do you think it is still worth appealing? Do you recall a thread discussing the LSAC Fee Waiver ceiling? I searched at the time of my application, but did not find one. I suppose it could not hurt to appeal, I was just feeling very melodramatic at the time about the cost of applying and LSAT prep &c. that I forgot to be adult about it :|

And, Knockglock, I did take it December 09 with an original application date selected for Fall of 2010, but I switched that back in January. I noticed others having this problem, and I suppose I will start sending email requests in September if I still remain fruitless.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:39 pm

I was at work. I had to yell silently and avoid dancing around my office, 'cause that would be weird.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:53 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

I was at work. I had to yell silently and avoid dancing around my office, 'cause that would be weird.

I was at work, left to go eat lunch with friends (which was pretty much the only hour-and-a-half I was away from my computer for days) and when I got back to work, I had (1) new email on my iPod. Then, I actually did yell and dance around my office, and my co-workers celebrated with me. Not weird at all.

wildcathighfive

Postby wildcathighfive » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:59 pm

ayahara wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

You know, I did not appeal. I applied last year and have acquired a measly savings since .. it is very low, and would get me through about 30% of one year's living expenses while in school, but it is still more than I had at the time of my application. Do you think it is still worth appealing? Do you recall a thread discussing the LSAC Fee Waiver ceiling? I searched at the time of my application, but did not find one. I suppose it could not hurt to appeal, I was just feeling very melodramatic at the time about the cost of applying and LSAT prep &c. that I forgot to be adult about it :|

And, Knockglock, I did take it December 09 with an original application date selected for Fall of 2010, but I switched that back in January. I noticed others having this problem, and I suppose I will start sending email requests in September if I still remain fruitless.

i also have been having this problem--i loaded a transcript, called lsac, made sure i was all set up, and still nothing at all.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:19 pm

eskimo wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

I was at work, left to go eat lunch with friends (which was pretty much the only hour-and-a-half I was away from my computer for days) and when I got back to work, I had (1) new email on my iPod. Then, I actually did yell and dance around my office, and my co-workers celebrated with me. Not weird at all.

I'm jealous of your work. There's a guy across the hall from me who always comes into my office and is like "how much have you finished this morning? did that really take that much time?"

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:22 pm

wildcathighfive wrote:
ayahara wrote:And, Knockglock, I did take it December 09 with an original application date selected for Fall of 2010, but I switched that back in January. I noticed others having this problem, and I suppose I will start sending email requests in September if I still remain fruitless.

i also have been having this problem--i loaded a transcript, called lsac, made sure i was all set up, and still nothing at all.

Have you guys tried the forum trick (registering for an LSAC forum - they're free, and you don't have to actually go). Apparently that works for people who aren't showing up on CRS for LSAC due to early LSATs, etc.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”