Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby beachbum » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:16 pm

DaveBear07 wrote:Bro,

The Director of Admissions wrote me back personally and offered me the fee waiver and PT. Very nice touch, Duke, I'm impressed.

Also, he cited the fact that my intended enrollment date for some reason said 2010 as the reason why I was not initially contacted.

So, great success.


Right on, thanks for the update. Your numbers are definitely better than mine, but I like to think I'm still in the ballpark for a waiver. I'll shoot them an e-mail soon.

User avatar
slax
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby slax » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Not sure if anyone else had a similar experience, but I emailed UVA a few weeks ago asking for a waiver. The email was sent from my work email (@navy.mil), and they gave me a waiver for the military. I'm a civilian, but they said they want to reward the public service anyway. So if you have military connections on your resume, you ought to reach out to them for a fee waiver.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby pjo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:27 pm

FWIW I sent some emails out to schools asking for fee waivers, I'm still waiting on a few but here's the outcome so far:

Received Waiver:
Pitt
Villanova
Case
UVA
Temple

Denied Waiver:
Notre Dame

User avatar
saito816
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby saito816 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:01 pm

I sent out a bunch of waiver requests as well. I received ones from Virginia and Boston U, but most of the t14 schools said they don't give out merit waivers upon request, although Michigan said that I should wait and see if I got the waiver in mid September and to email back if I didn't. I'm still waiting to hear back from some others.

Also, does anyone know if receiving the Duke PT, and the GW ED info postcard indicate a better chance of getting into those schools then if I hadn't received them?

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:30 pm

saito816 wrote:I sent out a bunch of waiver requests as well. I received ones from Virginia and Boston U, but most of the t14 schools said they don't give out merit waivers upon request, although Michigan said that I should wait and see if I got the waiver in mid September and to email back if I didn't. I'm still waiting to hear back from some others.

Also, does anyone know if receiving the Duke PT, and the GW ED info postcard indicate a better chance of getting into those schools then if I hadn't received them?


IIRC, being straight rejected from Duke PT is pretty rare.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:10 am

"Thanks for the email. Unfortunately we are unable to offer you a merit-based fee waiver, but hope that you will still decide to apply to Georgetown"

Really? I know a 3.3 gpa. is pretty ugly but I thought my 171 lsat would get me one considering UVA sent me one within hours.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 am

Someone please give me an example of the email that they sent to these schools? I thought we were supposed to wait until September to request. Please PM me if you have to. Much appreciated.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:15 am

Has anyone who did not receive an unsolicited fee waiver from Georgetown had luck in requesting one from them?

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:25 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Has anyone who did not receive an unsolicited fee waiver from Georgetown had luck in requesting one from them?


I didn't but then again I have a horrible GPA. I was hoping my high LSAT would offset it. I also got turned down from Duke (they gave me a response that they only hand them out through LSAC searches) but I noticed someone in this thread had success in requesting one (from Duke that is).

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby beachbum » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:25 am

TOMaHULK wrote:Someone please give me an example of the email that they sent to these schools? I thought we were supposed to wait until September to request. Please PM me if you have to. Much appreciated.


Mine was pretty similar to the sample e-mail provided in the TLS article on fee waivers. I sent it to Duke yesterday, and today I received notice that it was forwarded to the director of admissions. I'll let you know how it goes.

User avatar
saito816
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby saito816 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Tiva wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Has anyone who did not receive an unsolicited fee waiver from Georgetown had luck in requesting one from them?


I didn't but then again I have a horrible GPA. I was hoping my high LSAT would offset it. I also got turned down from Duke (they gave me a response that they only hand them out through LSAC searches) but I noticed someone in this thread had success in requesting one (from Duke that is).


Yeah, my request got shot down too. :(

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:20 pm

I was going to wait until September to email UVA; should I just go ahead?

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:21 pm

eskimo wrote:I was going to wait until September to email UVA; should I just go ahead?


I just emailed them. I will let you know how it turns out!

EDIT: So they gave me a fee waiver but it seems it is need-based. They did mention that I may receive a merit based waiver later in the cycle via LSAC.

User avatar
slax
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby slax » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:38 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Someone please give me an example of the email that they sent to these schools? I thought we were supposed to wait until September to request. Please PM me if you have to. Much appreciated.

Sent this at end of July:

I am interested in applying to X LAW SCHOOL as soon as the
application becomes available. In the interest of applying as early as
possible, I would like to know if it is possible to receive a fee waiver
based on my LSAT score of X and GPA of X. My LSAC account number is
LXXXX.

Thank you for your consideration,
Me


Results:

UVA -sent code based on working for military
Penn - only through CRS, if you apply before receiving the waiver but you later get it, they will send a refund
GW - don't give merit fee waivers, use fees to pay for financial aid
Columbia - not yet, CRS
Temple - waiver approved
NYU - not yet, CRS

Got a waiver without asking:

Georgetown
Duke w/ PT

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby yoitsmebenny » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:42 pm

saito816 wrote:
Tiva wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Has anyone who did not receive an unsolicited fee waiver from Georgetown had luck in requesting one from them?


I didn't but then again I have a horrible GPA. I was hoping my high LSAT would offset it. I also got turned down from Duke (they gave me a response that they only hand them out through LSAC searches) but I noticed someone in this thread had success in requesting one (from Duke that is).


Yeah, my request got shot down too. :(


Got shot down at both Georgetown and Duke. 172/3.4.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Sorry I have no idea where to post this, but I can't find the LSAC predictor thing anywhere on the new website. Can someone help me :(

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:31 pm

:lol: One of my fee waiver request went to UF today. They replied that they do not issue fee waivers because it's a state mandated fee. :lol: Guess I should give my fee waiver back to the other FL schools that gave me one? I mean...they can't do that and all... :shock:

granger
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby granger » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Just got UVA's fee waiver email.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Deuce » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Just got UVA...

"We've waived your application fee to Virginia Law.

You have an impressive record and we'd like you to apply, so we've waived your $75 application fee. The fee waiver will be applied automatically when you submit the LSAC e-app"

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Just got an official waiver from UVA. I say official because I emailed them directly a few weeks ago and they sent me some code for need-based but this one seems like a CRS search / merit-based waiver.

168, 3.5

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby yoitsmebenny » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:39 pm

Just got UVA as well.

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby msch0i » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:40 pm

UVA waiver! :D I'm in for a world of disappointment..

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:42 pm

I just got a UVA fee merit based fee waiver as well! I was just about to email admissions back and tell them that I did not think I qualified for the need based waiver and to use it for someone else.

I am pretty ecstatic!

DMXdawg
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby DMXdawg » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:43 pm

170/3.3 uva waiver, seems like their cutoff is pretty low. cool- seems like they want everyone to apply =)

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Heat » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:45 pm

I got a UVA waiver as well. 3.6/171




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests