Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:15 pm

what/where is valparaiso?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Barbie wrote:what/where is valparaiso?


T4 school. I want to say it's somewhere in the midwest, maybe Indiana or something?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:23 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:what/where is valparaiso?


T4 school. I want to say it's somewhere in the midwest, maybe Indiana or something?


oooh. I threw away all my T4 fee waivers. I'm keeping everything sent to me from a school I may consider in a binder. fee waivers and other info. Its helpful :)

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:25 pm

Barbie wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:what/where is valparaiso?


T4 school. I want to say it's somewhere in the midwest, maybe Indiana or something?


oooh. I threw away all my T4 fee waivers. I'm keeping everything sent to me from a school I may consider in a binder. fee waivers and other info. Its helpful :)


That's smart, I probably should do that. So far i've only received one fee waiver from a school i'm interested in though, hopefully as we get closer to application time I'll get some more relevant fee waivers.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:what/where is valparaiso?


T4 school. I want to say it's somewhere in the midwest, maybe Indiana or something?


oooh. I threw away all my T4 fee waivers. I'm keeping everything sent to me from a school I may consider in a binder. fee waivers and other info. Its helpful :)


That's smart, I probably should do that. So far i've only received one fee waiver from a school i'm interested in though, hopefully as we get closer to application time I'll get some more relevant fee waivers.


Yea. the only one I would have definitely applied to either way is Wake Forest but my LSAT isn't very high... so the seton hall and richmond ones I may throw them an app and see what happens you know?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Barbie wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Knockglock wrote:oooh. I threw away all my T4 fee waivers. I'm keeping everything sent to me from a school I may consider in a binder. fee waivers and other info. Its helpful :)


That's smart, I probably should do that. So far i've only received one fee waiver from a school i'm interested in though, hopefully as we get closer to application time I'll get some more relevant fee waivers.


Yea. the only one I would have definitely applied to either way is Wake Forest but my LSAT isn't very high... so the seton hall and richmond ones I may throw them an app and see what happens you know?


Yeah, might as well. I'm planning on doing that too. For 12$ an application, why not apply broad and see what happens!

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:57 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:what/where is valparaiso?


T4 school. I want to say it's somewhere in the midwest, maybe Indiana or something?


Northern Indiana up towards Chicago... awful, awful winters.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby angiej » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:33 am

Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:what/where is valparaiso?


T4 school. I want to say it's somewhere in the midwest, maybe Indiana or something?


:lol: Its in Valparaiso, Indiana. Very respectable regional school despite being a T4. I work with several Valpo grads who are highly regarded.

User avatar
pu_golf88
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:34 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby pu_golf88 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:39 am

angiej wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:what/where is valparaiso?


T4 school. I want to say it's somewhere in the midwest, maybe Indiana or something?


:lol: Its in Valparaiso, Indiana. Very respectable regional school despite being a T4. I work with several Valpo grads who are highly regarded.


I dated in a girl and the first time we hung out she mentioned her friend goes to Valpo for law school, I chuckled a little and said I was sorry for her friend. This girl was convinced it was a great school.

On another note, about a month ago I saw a "friend's" Facebook status say, " Got into Valpo Law!"

I'm from Indiana and think it's TTT, I don't know what these people are smoking.

User avatar
mfeller2
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby mfeller2 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:10 pm

Fee waiver, application and brochure from Lewis & Clark today by mail. I wasn't thinking about applying there, but that campus looks amazing!

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:14 pm

pu_golf88 wrote:
angiej wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Barbie wrote:what/where is valparaiso?


T4 school. I want to say it's somewhere in the midwest, maybe Indiana or something?


:lol: Its in Valparaiso, Indiana. Very respectable regional school despite being a T4. I work with several Valpo grads who are highly regarded.


I dated in a girl and the first time we hung out she mentioned her friend goes to Valpo for law school, I chuckled a little and said I was sorry for her friend. This girl was convinced it was a great school.

On another note, about a month ago I saw a "friend's" Facebook status say, " Got into Valpo Law!"

I'm from Indiana and think it's TTT, I don't know what these people are smoking.


Haha Im from Indiana too and I didnt want to be the guy to say this. The undergrad is decently respected so people automatically think that runs over to the law school. Im not even sure where Valpo places. In Indianapolis they are behind IUB, Notre Dame and IU-Indy, and they arent strong in Chicago either.

User avatar
afcanoe
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby afcanoe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:30 pm

mfeller2 wrote:Fee waiver, application and brochure from Lewis & Clark today by mail. I wasn't thinking about applying there, but that campus looks amazing!


Me too! It really does look like an awesome place to live, and Wood Hall (despite its awkward name...) looks incredible! It's sort of tempting..

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:15 pm

Got a reply to an email from georgetown saying they couldn't give me a fee waiver. 3.49/173 I am confused as other people in this thread got fee waivers with lower lsats.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby trudat15 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:31 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Got a reply to an email from georgetown saying they couldn't give me a fee waiver. 3.49/173 I am confused as other people in this thread got fee waivers with lower lsats.


Strange right? I asked for one with 3.45 and 174 and was also denied. Maybe they have a 3.5 lower limit?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Hey what is a good way to ask for one??? say you have financial burden (or is this obvious) or ar eyou just like "Hey, can I have a fee waiver... please?" haha. I have no idea how to go about doing this...

willyj
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby willyj » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:02 pm

Anybody know when Duke generally sends out fee waivers? Their app went active today, and I haven't heard about anyone who's gotten a waiver yet.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:20 pm

willyj wrote:Anybody know when Duke generally sends out fee waivers? Their app went active today, and I haven't heard about anyone who's gotten a waiver yet.


It's still pretty early. From reading around on these boards I expect most fee waivers to go out in September. So don't panic if you haven't received any yet, and I'd hold off email requests for fee waivers until September.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:25 pm

For those people who took the LSAT last cycle but applying this cycle, I was told by an LSAC rep the best way to get your name updated in the system and resubmitted into the CRS system is to register for an LSAC forum. Apparently law schools search only for accounts with recent activity and you have to get some activity on your account for your name to show up in the current batches. Hopefully this works.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby trudat15 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:28 pm

willyj wrote:Anybody know when Duke generally sends out fee waivers? Their app went active today, and I haven't heard about anyone who's gotten a waiver yet.


I talked to the guy at Duke - they are running their initial CRS searches in a few weeks. He said they will be sending out their first round of waivers before their app goes active

User avatar
afcanoe
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby afcanoe » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Barbie wrote:Hey what is a good way to ask for one??? say you have financial burden (or is this obvious) or ar eyou just like "Hey, can I have a fee waiver... please?" haha. I have no idea how to go about doing this...


Barbie - this article has all the info you need. Enjoy.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/guide-to-fee-waivers.html

User avatar
Maury Levy
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Maury Levy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:38 pm

tkgrrett wrote:For those people who took the LSAT last cycle but applying this cycle, I was told by an LSAC rep the best way to get your name updated in the system and resubmitted into the CRS system is to register for an LSAC forum. Apparently law schools search only for accounts with recent activity and you have to get some activity on your account for your name to show up in the current batches. Hopefully this works.

Thanks for the head's up.

It's free to register for forums, and "[i]f you are unable to attend a forum for which you are registered, it is not necessary to contact LSAC."

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby cubswin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Maury Levy wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:For those people who took the LSAT last cycle but applying this cycle, I was told by an LSAC rep the best way to get your name updated in the system and resubmitted into the CRS system is to register for an LSAC forum. Apparently law schools search only for accounts with recent activity and you have to get some activity on your account for your name to show up in the current batches. Hopefully this works.

Thanks for the head's up.

It's free to register for forums, and "[i]f you are unable to attend a forum for which you are registered, it is not necessary to contact LSAC."


Very nice. I am interested to see if this works.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Doritos » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Just to let you all know, I was able to get get some relevant fee waivers by sending out emails to schools I was interested in. So if you do not get a fee waiver from a school you want to apply to it only seems prudent to email the admissions office and ask for one. I did this and am going to be attending a school that gave me a fee waiver only after I asked for it

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:48 pm

sent out a few emails and have gotten a few responses (from local, lower ranked schools.. though)
U Miami and Stetson both gave me one. Tulane said they don't give merit based, only need based.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Entchen » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 am

Just got Illinois, by e-mail.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests