Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Deuce

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Woohoo LSAC fee waiver, is it true some schools will waive if you are approved by LSAC?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:26 pm

pu_golf88 wrote:I finally went home and saw the packets from Seton Hall and Tennessee. I would have never considered Seton Hall, but in their packet it said I was qualified for 15,000 to a full ride to start this Fall. I'm assuming it would be about the same if I apply for next fall and a full ride wouldn't be so bad.

I really have no idea how these schools go about recruitment. I live in TN and so far have never received as much as a postcard from either state school. Its weird.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Ildeuce wrote:Woohoo LSAC fee waiver, is it true some schools will waive if you are approved by LSAC?

Yeah, a lot of law schools will give you a need-based waiver if you have an LSAC waiver.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:18 pm

zworykin wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
Rudy wrote:
trudat15 wrote:I have a 174 (retake from a 164) and emailed Georgetown asking for a fee waiver, as I saw others on the forum have gotten them (some based on lower LSATs as I know Georgetown takes highest) and heard back today that I dont qualify for a merit based fee waiver. And I actually went to Georgetown undergrad! Too bad as I really wanted to and probably will still apply there.

Is your GPA bad? Its either that, or the trend I noticed before is true in fact indicative of their policy, that being only to give fee waivers to URM's with good hards.

Not fantastic, but not like horrible. 3.45. I figured with my score and gpa, it makes me very competitive for their school, add to the fact that I went there for undergrad, I thought getting a fee waiver would be a formality. I guess I was wrong. Maybe you're right and they are just going to URMs with good numbers.

3.66/176/non-URM and I got one. :shrug: They must just work in mysterious ways.

Your numbers are better than mine. Maybe I just missed the GPA cutoff or something.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:19 pm

eskimo wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
Rudy wrote:
trudat15 wrote:I have a 174 (retake from a 164) and emailed Georgetown asking for a fee waiver, as I saw others on the forum have gotten them (some based on lower LSATs as I know Georgetown takes highest) and heard back today that I dont qualify for a merit based fee waiver. And I actually went to Georgetown undergrad! Too bad as I really wanted to and probably will still apply there.

Is your GPA bad? Its either that, or the trend I noticed before is true in fact indicative of their policy, that being only to give fee waivers to URM's with good hards.

Not fantastic, but not like horrible. 3.45. I figured with my score and gpa, it makes me very competitive for their school, add to the fact that I went there for undergrad, I thought getting a fee waiver would be a formality. I guess I was wrong. Maybe you're right and they are just going to URMs with good numbers.

Or they might have been able to tell you'd apply anyway. If it were me, I wouldn't give up the $80-$90 (or however much the application fee is) that I could get from an applicant since they'd probably apply regardless.

Not that I don't empathize, though, that does suck. They probably just saw Gtown undergrad + good numbers = application whether we give him a fee waiver or not.

Could be true too. I did have them pretty high on my list of where to apply.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Got another email from Charlotte Law School today reminding me of my fee waiver and reminding me that I could still get a scholarship. They asked if I was planning on enrolling in the Spring instead.

Can someone confirm if this is a mass email? :?

lsathelp

Postby lsathelp » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:14 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Got another email from Charlotte Law School today reminding me of my fee waiver and reminding me that I could still get a scholarship. They asked if I was planning on enrolling in the Spring instead.

I got it. 22k scholly if i apply by july 29 i believe the email stated.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:22 pm

lsathelp wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Got another email from Charlotte Law School today reminding me of my fee waiver and reminding me that I could still get a scholarship. They asked if I was planning on enrolling in the Spring instead.

Yup. Same thing

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:28 pm

lsathelp wrote:

I got the same e-mail but it was only for $19K

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:23 pm

gokickrocks wrote:
lsathelp wrote:

I got the same e-mail but it was only for $19K

Man, they're only offering me 17! Hahaha...

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:06 am

Got another Thomas Cooley flyer today.

And got a flyer from Duncan (no idea) with fee waiver.

JohnBoy

Postby JohnBoy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm not sure about Georgetown either....I got a waiver with a 170/3.69.

starlight007

Postby starlight007 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Not a fee waiver but a Columbia email about an August informational session. I just need to score a miracle on the LSAT to even consider applying there.

itseightfortyfive

Postby itseightfortyfive » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:42 pm

As far as the Minnesota fee waiver, double check that email. I got an email on 7/7 from them but it did not include a fee waiver.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:47 pm

itseightfortyfive wrote:As far as the Minnesota fee waiver, double check that email. I got an email on 7/7 from them but it did not include a fee waiver.

Mine was also 7/7, with the subject being University of Minnesota Law School Application Fee Waiver and a bolded section saying this e-mail is a fee waiver. Guessing they sent both an informational and fee waiver e-mail based on the following system:

1. Student's LSAT & GPA
2. ?????
3. Profit.

itseightfortyfive

Postby itseightfortyfive » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
itseightfortyfive wrote:As far as the Minnesota fee waiver, double check that email. I got an email on 7/7 from them but it did not include a fee waiver.

Mine was also 7/7, with the subject being University of Minnesota Law School Application Fee Waiver and a bolded section saying this e-mail is a fee waiver. Guessing they sent both an informational and fee waiver e-mail based on the following system:

1. Student's LSAT & GPA
2. ?????
3. Profit.

Well i dont have my GPA posed but my lsat was 165 which is higher than some others who have recieved fee waivers. Maybe it is bc i dont have my GPA posted yet.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:17 pm

itseightfortyfive wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

1. Student's LSAT & GPA
2. ?????
3. Profit.

Well i dont have my GPA posed but my lsat was 165 which is higher than some others who have recieved fee waivers. Maybe it is bc i dont have my GPA posted yet.

I had my LSAT/GPA both on file (165/over 3.75 category) but didn't get a waiver :( Maybe because I didn't have Minnesota listed as one of my states of interest.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:34 pm

msch0i wrote:
itseightfortyfive wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

1. Student's LSAT & GPA
2. ?????
3. Profit.

I had my LSAT/GPA both on file (165/over 3.75 category) but didn't get a waiver :( Maybe because I didn't have Minnesota listed as one of my states of interest.

Trust me, me neither. I'm a die hard Packers fan.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:47 pm

msch0i wrote:
itseightfortyfive wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

1. Student's LSAT & GPA
2. ?????
3. Profit.

Minnesota is not listed as a state of interest for me...I somehow got a fee waiver from them (received two emails) - the first was the fee waiver and I don't remember what the second one was about...

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:57 pm

I did email them back expressing interest, though. They sent me a fee waiver application. Does that count? :lol: Does anyone know what that means? It doesn't say it's guaranteed or anything, it just directs me to mail them the fee waiver application after I apply on LSAC.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:24 am

Fee waivers I would like to see in my inbox/mailbox in the coming months:

Penn
Duke
UCLA
Cornell
Michigan
WUSTL
GW
UVA
UT

plz and thnx

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:21 am

Ildeuce wrote:
msch0i wrote:
itseightfortyfive wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

This is a guy I can support. Born and raised in Green Bay right here.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:23 am

yoitsmebenny wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
msch0i wrote:
itseightfortyfive wrote:

You must be immune to the cold.

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:26 am

Knockglock wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
msch0i wrote:Trust me, me neither. I'm a die hard Packers fan.

You must be immune to the cold.

Cold? What cold? I run every day, and I don't put a shirt on until the first snowfall every year.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:27 am

you can add 171 to George Mason and Charlotte...still no GTown :(

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”