Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
beeasy

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby beeasy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:23 am

Not denigrating anyone whatsoever, just confused.

Why would WandM give the previous poster with a 161 a fee waiver and not a 171 scorer one? Again, I don't at all want to sound condescending because a 161 is a solid score. Just would like to understand who they solicit and if there is perhaps a deficiency on my part to explain the lack of a fee waiver.

Thanks for any info

Kswizzie

Postby Kswizzie » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:43 am

I got one from Ohio State and Minnesota 168, maybe its cause I'm at another Big Ten School

Peekay80

Postby Peekay80 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:49 am

I may have lucked into one as a veteran? Not sure...but, W and M is big on veterans (or at least their app has a lot more questions than most schools).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:04 am

yoitsmebenny, could you take Yale off of the original post? They didn't actually give any fee waiver, it was just an informational email about applying for a need-based waiver. Yale doesn't give out merit-based waivers.

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:08 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:yoitsmebenny, could you take Yale off of the original post? They didn't actually give any fee waiver, it was just an informational email about applying for a need-based waiver. Yale doesn't give out merit-based waivers.

Done and done

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:41 pm

beeasy wrote:Not denigrating anyone whatsoever, just confused.

Why would WandM give the previous poster with a 161 a fee waiver and not a 171 scorer one? Again, I don't at all want to sound condescending because a 161 is a solid score. Just would like to understand who they solicit and if there is perhaps a deficiency on my part to explain the lack of a fee waiver.

Thanks for any info

Maybe they have a 4.0?

What do you have as location preferences in CRS?

gorockies

Postby gorockies » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:27 am

LSAT: 168

Seton Hall 29-Jun
Tulsa 29-Jun
Cincinnati 29-Jun
McGeorge 1-Jul
Mercer 7-Jul
Minnesota 7-Jul
William & Mary 14-Jul

misterswick

Postby misterswick » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks for any info

160/3.4 here, and I got a fee waiver from WandM. I honestly think they sent it to me (and others with similar numbers) so they could bait us into applying and then reject us, thus increasing their selectivity percentage or whatever.

beeasy

Postby beeasy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Perhaps, but I wouldn't be so pessimistic. Hoped more fee waivers would be out by now.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:43 pm

misterswick wrote:

Thanks for any info

160/3.4 here, and I got a fee waiver from WandM. I honestly think they sent it to me (and others with similar numbers) so they could bait us into applying and then reject us, thus increasing their selectivity percentage or whatever.

W&M is notorious for that. They are also notorious for the waitlist "soft reject". For those who don't understand that, it means they put you on the waitlist as the nice thing to do, not because they really mean you have a chance.

misterswick

Postby misterswick » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:51 pm

beeasy wrote:Perhaps, but I wouldn't be so pessimistic. Hoped more fee waivers would be out by now.

Have you emailed the schools you want to apply to and asked for them? The worst they can do is say no, but you might get lucky. It's not like they'll ding you for requesting a fee waiver.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:17 pm

beeasy wrote:Hoped more fee waivers would be out by now.

Most came out last year starting around this time and trickling in after that. The other T-14 schools that sent them out (save for Georgetown, which I believe is usually early) didn't do so until late August/early September. No need to start hoping yet, it'll be a while.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:26 pm

I have a question, though I'm not sure anyone will know the answer to it. Last year, it looks like some fee waivers came out after applications were already being accepted (I'm looking at the dates for Columbia, Chicago, NYU, UVA, etc. where this is the case.) I'm quite broke (but in a normal, college-student way - not an LSAC fee waiver way so that's not an option) and would like to get/solicit as many waivers as possible. When is it acceptable to email a school to ask for a waiver? I plan on applying as soon as applications are being accepted (Sep. 1 most places) so should I email schools the week before EVEN if they haven't sent out any fee waivers yet?

Hoping somebody can shed a little light on this. :D

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:27 pm

eskimo wrote:I have a question, though I'm not sure anyone will know the answer to it. Last year, it looks like some fee waivers came out after applications were already being accepted (I'm looking at the dates for Columbia, Chicago, NYU, UVA, etc. where this is the case.) I'm quite broke (but in a normal, college-student way - not an LSAC fee waiver way so that's not an option) and would like to get/solicit as many waivers as possible. When is it acceptable to email a school to ask for a waiver? I plan on applying as soon as applications are being accepted (Sep. 1 most places) so should I email schools the week before EVEN if they haven't sent out any fee waivers yet?

I can't really shed any light, as I am wondering the same thing. I'm prb going to email those schools like mid-August though..

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Cilent21 wrote:I can't really shed any light, as I am wondering the same thing. I'm prb going to email those schools like mid-August though..

Maybe they will be impressed with how on-the-ball we are with our applications and just say yes immediately?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:40 pm

eskimo wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:I can't really shed any light, as I am wondering the same thing. I'm prb going to email those schools like mid-August though..

Maybe they will be impressed with how on-the-ball we are with our applications and just say yes immediately?

I was thinking more along the lines of auto-admit us for asking so early

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:16 pm

eskimo wrote:I have a question, though I'm not sure anyone will know the answer to it. Last year, it looks like some fee waivers came out after applications were already being accepted (I'm looking at the dates for Columbia, Chicago, NYU, UVA, etc. where this is the case.) I'm quite broke (but in a normal, college-student way - not an LSAC fee waiver way so that's not an option) and would like to get/solicit as many waivers as possible. When is it acceptable to email a school to ask for a waiver? I plan on applying as soon as applications are being accepted (Sep. 1 most places) so should I email schools the week before EVEN if they haven't sent out any fee waivers yet?

I've asked two CA schools and they've both told me to wait until September/October. I think many schools are still in waitlist-thinning mode so they don't really have time to grant fee waivers yet (or maybe they're taking a mini-vacation before the next cycle hits :) ). It probably depends on the school. After being told by both schools to wait, I think I'm going to hold off until mid to late August or so to start asking around, since it's still before the official cycle starts but adcomms should be ready to send out fee waivers, even if it's before they send out unsolicited ones in big batches.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Cilent21 wrote:
eskimo wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of auto-admit us for asking so early

Thomas Cooley says "YES" to that idea... :wink:

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:41 pm

Last year I got a ton of fee waivers in October and November, even. A lot of schools will not give you a fee waiver on request until September. You guys should really do your research now and send your emails in September. Trust me, waiting until September to ask will not hurt you in any way.

Pro tip: American sends a pissy email back to you if you ask them for one about how unfair it is to request waivers

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:54 pm

eandy wrote:

Last year I got a ton of fee waivers in October and November, even. A lot of schools will not give you a fee waiver on request until September. You guys should really do your research now and send your emails in September. Trust me, waiting until September to ask will not hurt you in any way.

Pro tip: American sends a pissy email back to you if you ask them for one about how unfair it is to request waivers

good to know--will not be asking them.

fragged

Postby fragged » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:00 am

LSAT: 164

Waivers (so far): Seton Hall, Richmond, Cincinnati, W&M

My GPA is crap, so the W&M looks a little fishy... The email called me a "strong law school applicant." Maybe because I've been out of undergrad for 10+ years they don't put too much weight on my GPA, but it's still a bit odd.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:28 am

Kswizzie wrote:I got one from Ohio State and Minnesota 168, maybe its cause I'm at another Big Ten School

You got one from Ohio State? That's my top choice and I was hoping to get one from them. Maybe my 164 isn't enough :(

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:43 am

fragged wrote:LSAT: 164

Waivers (so far): Seton Hall, Richmond, Cincinnati, W&M

My GPA is crap, so the W&M looks a little fishy... The email called me a "strong law school applicant." Maybe because I've been out of undergrad for 10+ years they don't put too much weight on my GPA, but it's still a bit odd.

It's fishy. HOWEVER, I think if you apply early you have a really good shot. Last cycle, non-traditional students like you who applied early did really well at W&M.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:46 am

Anyone who took the LSAT last cycle but applying this cycle know how to get your name resent out to schools?? Im not getting any recruitment materials for schools.

rv11

Postby rv11 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:48 am

tkgrrett wrote:Anyone who took the LSAT last cycle but applying this cycle know how to get your name resent out to schools?? Im not getting any recruitment materials for schools.

I'd like to know this too.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”