Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:48 pm

vegenator wrote:
ahduth wrote:I just realized I should probably be applying to Texas and Vanderbilt. Do they grant waivers?


Yes, but Texas said they stop giving merit-based waivers on 11/1.

Vanderbilt also has merit-based fee waivers, but they're also given out only via CRS.


Ugh... I'm really wary of paying money to apply to schools I'm looking for scholarship money from. Thanks for the info.

Lexyeva
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Lexyeva » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:48 pm

vegenator wrote:
Lexyeva wrote:How does one go about requesting a fee waiver???

Has anyone received waivers from the following and were they requested or received? Thx!

UC Boulder
Univ of Arizona
ASU


I requested one from UC Boulder and received it within the hour.

Thanks. Did you include your stats in the email?

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby vegenator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:50 pm

LeDique wrote: Just e-mail asking, include your stats and i've always included my lsac number as well too.


+1

Lexyeva
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Lexyeva » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:57 pm

vegenator wrote:
LeDique wrote: Just e-mail asking, include your stats and i've always included my lsac number as well too.


+1


Ha! Thanks, missed that post.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby artichoke » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Lexyeva wrote:
Lexyeva wrote:
artichoke wrote:
Lexyeva wrote:Sorry, I am confused. Who do you email for these?


Admissions office. Most schools have a general admissions office email address.


Thanks a bunch!


Oh one more thing - do you just request the waiver or do you need to include stats, the reason why you want to apply to their school, etc???


Including stats and saying you would really like to apply to their school but have monetary concerns, etc. is always good

Lexyeva
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Lexyeva » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:57 pm

vegenator wrote:
Lexyeva wrote:How does one go about requesting a fee waiver???

Has anyone received waivers from the following and were they requested or received? Thx!

UC Boulder
Univ of Arizona
ASU


I requested one from UC Boulder and received it within the hour.

I also requested one from ASU and got an interesting response (pasted below). Basically, they give a few out via CRS, but you can apply for one after you submit your application without having actually paid the application fee...

Thank you for your email and your interest in The Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University. We do offer a limited number of fee waivers based on LSAT and GPA to applicants through the LSAC Candidate Referral Service (CRS). This usually occurs a few times during the admission cycle, and an email would be sent to those who qualify inviting them to apply and waiving the application fee.

If you wish to apply as soon as possible, you can submit your application through LSAC without paying the fee, by indicating you will be sending the fee separately, and when you send in the required Certification Letter, include a short paragraph addressing your LSAT score and GPA to be considered for a fee waiver.



Hope this helps!



Thanks for your help! I requested the waiver for Boulder this afternoon and received an affirmative response in two hours. I was surpised but excited because planning submit this weekend. Thanks again.

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby vegenator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:30 pm

No problem! Good luck!

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby JJDancer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:26 pm

U Tennessee via snail mail.

Not applying though.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:52 am

Just got a packet from Michigan via snail mail with a view book and fee waiver. It also included a nice handwritten note from Dean Zearfoss! I have to say that a little personal touch goes a long way. Anyone else get one of these?

User avatar
pebbles123
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby pebbles123 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Has anyone received a merit based fee waiver from Boston College?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Just checked for and found a hidden Penn waiver! :D I had checked earlier in this cycle and didn't have one (June 2010 tester).

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:51 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Just got a packet from Michigan via snail mail with a view book and fee waiver. It also included a nice handwritten note from Dean Zearfoss! I have to say that a little personal touch goes a long way. Anyone else get one of these?


geeezz
no
you must have some stats that are auto-admit like crazy lol

User avatar
beleaguer
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby beleaguer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:44 am

The Gentleman wrote:Just got a packet from Michigan via snail mail with a view book and fee waiver. It also included a nice handwritten note from Dean Zearfoss! I have to say that a little personal touch goes a long way. Anyone else get one of these?



i got this today too! :) don't think i am an auto-admit though. i think she writes something on all the fee waiver/viewbooks packages, which is awfully impressive.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:36 am

beleaguer wrote:i got this today too! don't think i am an auto-admit though. i think she writes something on all the fee waiver/viewbooks packages, which is awfully impressive.


LOL. That handwritten note has me drinking the Michigan Kool-Aid.

User avatar
ziggie
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby ziggie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:37 am

The Gentleman wrote:
beleaguer wrote:i got this today too! don't think i am an auto-admit though. i think she writes something on all the fee waiver/viewbooks packages, which is awfully impressive.


LOL. That handwritten note has me drinking the Michigan Kool-Aid.


I got the same thing mid October, with the hand written note and the word love underlined, definitely not an auto-admit (more like auto reject haha but I'm latino (not mx/pr)). it was enough to get me to ED and hope for the best :)

User avatar
ziggie
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby ziggie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:42 am

Got a Penn viewbook with a waiver today, as well as waivers from Notre Dame, Georgia, and Ohio State. I also received an invitation to apply to Harvard through email! But even though it would only cost me $12 I don't think I want to increase their rejection rate..

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby hokie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 am

My list so far (for those <170; 3.3X 165 here).....

Notre Dame
Iowa
W&M
Washington & Lee
Alabama
George Mason
Tulane
Cardozo (Yeshiva)
Univ. of Miami
Univ. of Pittsburg
Temple
St. John's
Penn State
Seton Hall
Baylor
IU-Indianapolis
Northeastern
Hofstra
DePaul
St. Louis Univ.
Univ. of South Carolina
Michigan State
Univ. of St. Thomas
Ohio Northern
Wayne State
Akron
Mercer
Pacific (McGeorge)
Quinnipiac
Univ. of Dayton
Univ. of Tulsa
Capital Law
Appalachian Law
Valparaiso Law
Oklahoma City
Regent Law
Suffolk
Charlotte Law
Roger Williams
Hamline Law
Drexel

Hopefully a better LSAT in December will grant me some more.....do many T20 schools give out waivers that late (i.e. in January)?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:28 pm

ziggie wrote:Got a Penn viewbook with a waiver today, as well as waivers from Notre Dame, Georgia, and Ohio State. I also received an invitation to apply to Harvard through email! But even though it would only cost me $12 I don't think I want to increase their rejection rate..


Harvard doesn't give out many fee waivers. I would use it. As a URM you have a shot.

User avatar
ziggie
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby ziggie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:19 pm

bdubs wrote:
ziggie wrote:Got a Penn viewbook with a waiver today, as well as waivers from Notre Dame, Georgia, and Ohio State. I also received an invitation to apply to Harvard through email! But even though it would only cost me $12 I don't think I want to increase their rejection rate..


Harvard doesn't give out many fee waivers. I would use it. As a URM you have a shot.


They didn't include a waiver, it was just an invitation to apply (but have the LSAC fee waiver, that's why I said it would only cost $12!). Plus, I'm not really sure that I'm a URM since I'm not MX/PR.

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby neonx » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Did anyone get a similar (non-fee waiver) letter from Yale and Stanford?

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:41 pm

neonx wrote:Did anyone get a similar (non-fee waiver) letter from Yale and Stanford?


Both. Yale's came in an envelope that kind of looked like some sort of sketchy sweepstakes mailing.

chloeb
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby chloeb » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:06 pm

Has anyone received a fee waiver for UC Davis? I e-mailed them last week and they replied that they would be doing a CRS search later in the week. I haven't received anything from them yet and I'm above the medians. :(

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby vegenator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:12 pm

chloeb wrote:Has anyone received a fee waiver for UC Davis? I e-mailed them last week and they replied that they would be doing a CRS search later in the week. I haven't received anything from them yet and I'm above the medians. :(
nothing here. I asked back in September and they said only through crs (but they didn't give a timeline) I think their fee waivers went out fairly late last year too.

chloeb
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby chloeb » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Good to know - I guess I'll just wait a little bit longer to submit my app. Also received an e-mail from Emory today with a fee waiver. Seems like Emory's all over the place given what other people have posted.

SO2010
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby SO2010 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:20 pm

I didn't have CRS enabled until last week and I was hoping to obtain a fee waiver from mercer. I looked around their website forever and could not find anywhere to email a fee waiver request. Has anyone has any luck in this area? Thanks in advance.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chili_davis, Specter1389 and 6 guests