Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sgtgrumbles

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:58 pm

Spinach Lover wrote:So what exactly does it mean to get a fee waiver from a school, besides the chance of saving some application money? I got a fee waiver from Minnesota. Does that mean if I apply there, I will probably get in?

No. It means no such thing. Do not read anything into it regarding your chances of acceptance.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:05 am

Ohio State by mail today. I'll be adding that one to the places I apply. Iowa, Indy, Dayton, and New England Law as well by email today.

And yes, for those who asked - I got one from Wisconsin through the mail, but not through email. I did not solicit them for one either.
Last edited by queenlizzie13 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:08 am

did anyone get a letter from hofstra stating that not only are they waiving the fee, that I have a decent shot at scholarships??

I know its bs... but still it was a nice confidence boost....( until i get dinged)

TT09

Postby TT09 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:16 am

northwood wrote:did anyone get a letter from hofstra stating that not only are they waiving the fee, that I have a decent shot at scholarships??

I know its bs... but still it was a nice confidence boost....( until i get dinged)

Yeah, I got it yesterday.

neonx

Postby neonx » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:41 am

Here was today's (11/4) batch:

(21; 167) Illinois: 11/4 (e-mail 9 AM ET)-- already free?
(22; 167) Notre Dame: 11/4 (e-mail 5 PM ET)
(26; 164) University of Iowa: 11/4 (e-mail 12 PM ET)
(48; 164) Tulane: 11/4 (e-mail 3 PM ET)
(86; 159) Indiana-Indianapolis: 11/4 (e-mail 5 PM ET)
(93; 161) Santa Clara: 11/4 (e-mail 7 PM ET)
(T3; 159) Quinnipiac: 11/4 (e-mail 10 AM ET)
(T4; 153) Dayton: 11/4 (e-mail 4 PM ET)

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:55 am

Spinach Lover wrote:So what exactly does it mean to get a fee waiver from a school, besides the chance of saving some application money? I got a fee waiver from Minnesota. Does that mean if I apply there, I will probably get in?

Naw, I think some of these law schools do crazy psy ops, where they give fee waivers to people they know they're going to auto-deny, just to make their selectivity look better, or something. Plus, a lot of these schools seem completely random in terms of how they hand out waivers - see how all over the board Columbia is. Even Illinois, who is admittedly totally cool for waiving everyone's app fee... sends out emails telling people they waived their app fee. It's all just either completely random, or subject to some extremely nefarious master plan whose overall design we'll simply never know.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:17 am

ahduth wrote:

Naw, I think some of these law schools do crazy psy ops, where they give fee waivers to people they know they're going to auto-deny, just to make their selectivity look better, or something. Plus, a lot of these schools seem completely random in terms of how they hand out waivers - see how all over the board Columbia is. Even Illinois, who is admittedly totally cool for waiving everyone's app fee... sends out emails telling people they waived their app fee. It's all just either completely random, or subject to some extremely nefarious master plan whose overall design we'll simply never know.

Plus with so many schools giving out fee waivers...the ones who won't are at a disadvantage unless they're the top schools who get a lot of applicants regardless.

Fee waivers increase the size of the app pool. For example, probably a lot of people who wouldn't apply to UVA or Northwestern because they have almost 0% chance of getting in now throw in their app because hey, you only have to pay $12, versus $112 (NW). I don't remember how much UVA is.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:24 am

I agree with the above poster. I was planning on applying to BC, GW, and Fordham as safeties, but since they don't waive fees...I applied to their biggest rival (Georgetown and BU). Suck. it.

Also, Michigan. I got fee wiavers from 4-14, except you.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 am

I requested a fee waiver from Wake Forest and they gave it to me... Yay!

doug_7506

Postby doug_7506 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:53 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:I requested a fee waiver from Wake Forest and they gave it to me... Yay!

Mind sharring your numbers? I'm thing of doing the same.

How do you ask for a fee waivers? Like how should you word it?

Did W&L sent fee waviers yet?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:59 am

I requested a fee waiver from Columbia. Their response...

Dear Sir,

We were not pleasantly surprised to receive your interest in an application fee waiver at Columbia Law School. We were, rather, taken aback. Please attempt to understand our situation. As a prestigious, Ivy League institution of higher learning, we must be extremely judicious not only in who we admit, but in whose files we even allow our admissions committee to review. If we allow the slightest bit of education impurity to infiltrate our admissions process, where might we end up?

Your email also brought to our attention that you have managed to find our contact information, implying you have been using our website. Please realize that bandwidth is not free. Enclosed is a bill in the amount of $0.27. We would remind you, the Postal Service will not render delivery of mail lacking proper postage.

Thank you for your interest,

Columbia Law School

I'm exactly at their median numbers. FML.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:06 am

ahduth wrote:I requested a fee waiver from Columbia. Their response...

Dear Sir,

We were not pleasantly surprised to receive your interest in an application fee waiver at Columbia Law School. We were, rather, taken aback. Please attempt to understand our situation. As a prestigious, Ivy League institution of higher learning, we must be extremely judicious not only in who we admit, but in whose files we even allow our admissions committee to review. If we allow the slightest bit of education impurity to infiltrate our admissions process, where might we end up?

Your email also brought to our attention that you have managed to find our contact information, implying you have been using our website. Please realize that bandwidth is not free. Enclosed is a bill in the amount of $0.27. We would remind you, the Postal Service will not render delivery of mail lacking proper postage.

Columbia Law School

Is this for real????????????? They're charging you for using their bandwith? WTF? Oh, and they sound SOOO snobby!

balenciagar

Postby balenciagar » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:12 am

I just got a hidden fee waiver from Cornell. It wasn't there yesterday. It's quite strange because the page says it was waived due to an invididual waiver or something... I haven't contacted anyone in Cornell for this, but oh well, saving $80 feels good :P

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:16 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Dear Sir,

Columbia Law School

Is this for real????????????? They're charging you for using their bandwith? WTF? Oh, and they sound SOOO snobby!

With my request they just showed up at my door, gave me the finger, kicked me in the shin, and ran off laughing. Very mature, Columbia.

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:11 pm

doug_7506 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:I requested a fee waiver from Wake Forest and they gave it to me... Yay!

W&L is free.

doug_7506

Postby doug_7506 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:19 pm

jackattack17 wrote:
doug_7506 wrote:

W&L is free.

Lol thanks.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Dear Sir,

Columbia Law School

I lol'd.

They sent me something similar. No shin-kick. Just a "If we wanted you, we would have asked. Kthxbai."

MichaelB123

Postby MichaelB123 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:28 pm

Got Harvard, Yale, and Stanford fee waivers via snail-mail yesterday. Pretty excited about those.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:31 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:Got Harvard, Yale, and Stanford fee waivers via snail-mail yesterday. Pretty excited about those.

IB People freak out.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:37 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:Got Harvard, Yale, and Stanford fee waivers via snail-mail yesterday. Pretty excited about those.

I got a Discover Card application via snail-mail yesterday. Pretty excited about that.

"0% + 2011 = NO WORRIES"

I'm basically in.

abarrios

Postby abarrios » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:38 pm

ahduth wrote:

I got a Discover Card application via snail-mail yesterday. Pretty excited about that.

"0% + 2011 = NO WORRIES"

I'm basically in.

Lol. That guy's definitely trolling. Look at his recent posts.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:39 pm

abarrios wrote:
ahduth wrote:

"0% + 2011 = NO WORRIES"

I'm basically in.

Like this one fore example....
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=134761&p=3559556#p3559556

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:40 pm

abarrios wrote:
ahduth wrote:

"0% + 2011 = NO WORRIES"

I'm basically in.

I thought you were talking about me. And I was about to feel good about myself.

Then I read further down. FML.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:57 pm

And banned once more for trolling. It's especially disjointed for him to be claiming he got fee waivers now, since the thing that got him banned before was claiming to be accepted to Harvard already.

Hint: Fee waivers generally do not come via snail-mail.

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:59 pm

doug_7506 wrote:

Requested and received today, 172, 2.85.

I also requested W&L (went down my list of schools that I hadn't already received a waiver for)...I'm a moron that'll be dinged now. Oh well...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”