Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2011Cycle

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby 2011Cycle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:21 am

forward21 wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
forward21 wrote:NYU via CRS.

was this the first time you checked for the NYU waiver?

No. I checked earlier today - nothing.

NYU was hidden, btw - no email for me.

interesting. were you an OCT 2010 LSAT taker? I've noticed, lately, letters have been going out on Friday's.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:25 am

2011Cycle wrote:

Checked and received.

Didn't have one from last LSAT (and checked several times) so looks like this is a new wave.

forward

Postby forward » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:30 am

2011Cycle wrote:
forward21 wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:

No. I checked earlier today - nothing.

NYU was hidden, btw - no email for me.

interesting. were you an OCT 2010 LSAT taker? I've noticed, lately, letters have been going out on Friday's.

Yes.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:19 am

stupid question probably buuuuuut: is there anything special we need to do/have complete in order to start receiving fee waivers? MY CRS isn't complete, not all of my transcripts are in, but my Oct. LSAT score (170+) came in on Friday. Does that mean I will start receiving fee waivers, or does my CRS report need to complete first?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:56 am

dabomb75 wrote:stupid question probably buuuuuut: is there anything special we need to do/have complete in order to start receiving fee waivers? MY CRS isn't complete, not all of my transcripts are( in, but my Oct. LSAT score (170+) came in on Friday. Does that mean I will start receiving fee waivers, or does my CRS report need to complete first?

I don't think they see your actual grade report until you file your application; I believe the only grade information they would have is your self reported range ("2.00 to 2.49/mostly Bs and Cs" for example). At any rate I started getting waivers well in advance of my transcripts being in.

Also, I just got an NYU hidden also. Woot. I was a June LSAT victim, not October, so this does indeed look like a new wave for NYU.

Postby 2014 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:50 am

No NYU hidden but my numbers aren't quite competitive there.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:12 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:
eskimo wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:If your LSAT is at a school's 75th but your GPA is below their 25th, would you email requesting a waiver? Would you just give them your LSAT score in the email?

Yes I would email, it can't hurt, and no I wouldn't include GPA. They will probably just think you haven't sent transcripts in yet or something.

Edit: get some other opinions, because I haven't requested any waivers by email, but if I was going to, I would do what I just advised.

Can anyone confirm whether someone in the same boat should leave GPA out? My GPA is around 25th percentile and my LSAT is around or above 75th percentile for most schools I'm requesting waivers from. Should I only include the LSAT?

Can someone answer the above question before I start sending out emails this morning?

ayahara

Postby ayahara » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:17 am

JJDancer wrote:
vegenator wrote:I knew it! Why those dirty... :oops:
They could have just flat out told me they don't want to give me one like some other schools did... cough cough Georgetown.... :wink: I was hoping I could spice up my days of anxiously waiting for decisions by at least looking forward to a few random fee waiver emails... Come on Emory, UMN, Chicago?, Davis (or even a retroactive Cornell or Penn). A girl can dream, right? :D

Bolded = my sentiments exactly.

Thirded! I can take it, I promise! I don't quite understand why an Admissions department would take the 'lie about verifiable information' approach. To add insult to injury, I sent an email about their need-based fee waiver process, as I am of les miserables, and they took weeks to get back me about what was effectively a yes or no question.

So disappointed. BU was at the top of my list, but my interactions with Admissions, in conjunction with other factors not related to this particular thread, has made me completely reconsider (as well as happily pay the BC application fee). (Not that one should base one's decision on such things necessarily, but I have experienced canary in the coal mine effects wrt administrative offices).

Also, I FINALLY got a Cornell waiver/view book in the mail on 10/29. No new LSAT or anything, and I had checked for a hidden waiver in Sept.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:17 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:
eskimo wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:If your LSAT is at a school's 75th but your GPA is below their 25th, would you email requesting a waiver? Would you just give them your LSAT score in the email?

Yes I would email, it can't hurt, and no I wouldn't include GPA. They will probably just think you haven't sent transcripts in yet or something.

Edit: get some other opinions, because I haven't requested any waivers by email, but if I was going to, I would do what I just advised.

Can anyone confirm whether someone in the same boat should leave GPA out? My GPA is around 25th percentile and my LSAT is around or above 75th percentile for most schools I'm requesting waivers from. Should I only include the LSAT?

Can someone answer the above question before I start sending out emails this morning?

I wish I had a good answer to that. My vague, not-worth-much impression is that a lot of the schools who are more generous with waivers are also LSAT-focused schools as well, so it might be fine to include your GPA there. I'd probably include it for everyone, but that's just me, I feel like it'd look funny without it. I can't really offer you any hard advice however, sorry.

Postby 2014 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:36 am

William and Mary - email
Didn't have a score until October.

Edit - BU Hidden! They were one of about 3 schools I'm applying to before my December retake, glad to have it be free!

compromises

Postby compromises » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:03 am

2014 wrote:William and Mary - email

Edit - BU Hidden! They were one of about 3 schools I'm applying to before my December retake, glad to have it be free!

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:07 am

compromises wrote:

WTF, they refuse to give me a waiver with a 171.

Postby 2014 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:10 am

Mike12188 wrote:
compromises wrote:

WTF, they refuse to give me a waiver with a 171.

If it helps any I'll trade you my 168 for your 171 and you can have my fee waiver.
I'll throw in a $20 itunes gift card too as a kicker :)

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:16 am

Um, I got a weird response to my NU request:

"Thank you for your interest in Northwestern Law. If you are interested in obtaining a merit-based application fee waiver, please check the Credential Referral Service(CRS) box when registering your LSAC account. This will allow you to be considered when our Admissions Office uses the service to award merit-based fee waivers. If you have any questions on how to sign up with the CRS or select this box, please contact the Law School Admissions Council. "

I'm registered with CRS and received the W&M waiver via e-mail this morning. Is NU telling me they can't see me as a CRS registrant, or just that I should make sure I'm registered with the service?

ohlawl

Postby ohlawl » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:17 am

I got William & Mary this morning too with October 161. I guess they don't check their own medians before they send them!

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:23 am

Hey homies,

E-mail:
William & Mary: 11/1 (e-mail 10:16 AM ET)
Boston University: 11/1 (e-mail 11:24 AM ET)

Hidden Fee Waiver:
NYU: 11/1
Michigan: 11/1
Duke: 11/1
Boston University: 11/1

I'll check Penn, Texas, and UCLA later on.
Last edited by neonx on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:24 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:Um, I got a weird response to my NU request:

"Thank you for your interest in Northwestern Law. If you are interested in obtaining a merit-based application fee waiver, please check the Credential Referral Service(CRS) box when registering your LSAC account. This will allow you to be considered when our Admissions Office uses the service to award merit-based fee waivers. If you have any questions on how to sign up with the CRS or select this box, please contact the Law School Admissions Council. "

I'm registered with CRS and received the W&M waiver via e-mail this morning. Is NU telling me they can't see me as a CRS registrant, or just that I should make sure I'm registered with the service?

I think that is their standard response for "we only grant waivers based off of CRS searches." I got the same response when I requested back in late August. I ended up getting a hidden waiver in mid September, which was followed by an email about a week later notifying me of the waiver.

onetime1

Postby onetime1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:25 am

first, sorry if this has been answered before - having trouble searching through the threads.

It seems that people are getting fee waivers this morning (yay!), but unfortunately I haven't gotten any. This is my second time applying, though, this year with a much higher LSAT score.

So here's my question: do schools generally give fee waivers for second time applicants? Also, do the waivers come in at different times (i.e. if I haven't gotten the hidden NYU waiver yet, I might get it later today?)

anyone have any insight?

Dr. Will Sandstrom

Postby Dr. Will Sandstrom » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:31 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:
eskimo wrote:

For every school I'm applying to my LSAT is over their 75th and my GPA is under their 25th. I e-mailed a few of them to ask for fee waivers and quoted only my LSAT and LSAC number. Most of them granted me a fee waiver without any trouble.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:37 am

ayahara wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
vegenator wrote:I knew it! Why those dirty... :oops:
They could have just flat out told me they don't want to give me one like some other schools did... cough cough Georgetown.... :wink: I was hoping I could spice up my days of anxiously waiting for decisions by at least looking forward to a few random fee waiver emails... Come on Emory, UMN, Chicago?, Davis (or even a retroactive Cornell or Penn). A girl can dream, right? :D

Bolded = my sentiments exactly.

Thirded! I can take it, I promise! I don't quite understand why an Admissions department would take the 'lie about verifiable information' approach. To add insult to injury, I sent an email about their need-based fee waiver process, as I am of les miserables, and they took weeks to get back me about what was effectively a yes or no question.

So disappointed. BU was at the top of my list, but my interactions with Admissions, in conjunction with other factors not related to this particular thread, has made me completely reconsider (as well as happily pay the BC application fee). (Not that one should base one's decision on such things necessarily, but I have experienced canary in the coal mine effects wrt administrative offices).

Also, I FINALLY got a Cornell waiver/view book in the mail on 10/29. No new LSAT or anything, and I had checked for a hidden waiver in Sept.

I took the OCt LSAT, scored one point BELOW my original score which I had used to solicit a waiver via email from BU... and just got BU and William and Mary today.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:40 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:
eskimo wrote:

ASK for one with LSAT only. Say "Please let me know if I can provide you with any other information" at the end of the email.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:43 am

I already sent the requests with my LSAT and GPA. So far I've been given a waiver by UVA and received form responses from NU (waivers only given through CRS) and Boalt (doesn't do merit waivers).

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:50 am

Hidden fee waiver at BU.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:51 am

WTF BU?

No waiver. Guess I won't be applying.

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:52 am

Just to be clear, from the T14 schools: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, and Boalt are the only ones w/o merit-based fee waivers, right?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”