Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dany

Diamond

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Post by Dany » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:35 pm

lifestooquick wrote:If your LSAT is at a school's 75th but your GPA is below their 25th, would you email requesting a waiver? Would you just give them your LSAT score in the email?
Yes I would email, it can't hurt, and no I wouldn't include GPA. They will probably just think you haven't sent transcripts in yet or something.

Edit: get some other opinions, because I haven't requested any waivers by email, but if I was going to, I would do what I just advised.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Schools are still giving out waivers huh... it seems like so much effort to email them...

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:08 pm

lzy made an awesome list of when October takers can expect to receive waivers!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=135295

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:03 pm

MPeterson wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Do UPenn or Fordham give merit waivers on request? I doubt I'd get a merit waiver from UPenn but I thought I'd ask.

(168 (twice), 3.77)
I asked UPenn, and they said they only do it automatically.
Thanks. Oh well.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Got BU by email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Got BU by email.
Boston U's merit-based waivers baffle me. I requested one back in late August and was told they don't give any out by request (no mention of CRS) and that they only provide waivers for those who need them on a financial basis.
I was sure I'd seen people on here who got them by request at LSAC forums, so when I went to my UG's law school fair I requested one there, too. Again I was shot down with the statement that they are need based only.

Mah... hopefully they'll email me someday too.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:53 pm

vegenator wrote:
Boston U's merit-based waivers baffle me. I requested one back in late August and was told they don't give any out by request (no mention of CRS) and that they only provide waivers for those who need them on a financial basis.
I was sure I'd seen people on here who got them by request at LSAC forums, so when I went to my UG's law school fair I requested one there, too. Again I was shot down with the statement that they are need based only.

Congratulations on your fine academic record and your recent LSAT performance. As you think about applying to law school, I encourage you to consider the dynamic, intellectually challenging, and supportive community that is Boston University School of Law. We are offering you an application fee waiver because we believe you may be an excellent candidate for BU Law. When you log on to http://www.lsac.org to submit your online application you will see that your application fee has been waived.
They lie.

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
vegenator wrote:

Congratulations on your fine academic record and your recent LSAT performance. As you think about applying to law school, I encourage you to consider the dynamic, intellectually challenging, and supportive community that is Boston University School of Law. We are offering you an application fee waiver because we believe you may be an excellent candidate for BU Law. When you log on to http://www.lsac.org to submit your online application you will see that your application fee has been waived.
They lie.

I knew it! Why those dirty... :oops:
They could have just flat out told me they don't want to give me one like some other schools did... cough cough Georgetown.... :wink:
I was hoping I could spice up my days of anxiously waiting for decisions by at least looking forward to a few random fee waiver emails... Come on Emory, UMN, Chicago?, Davis (or even a retroactive Cornell or Penn). A girl can dream, right? :D

lulu12

New

Post by lulu12 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:18 pm

vegenator wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote: I was hoping I could spice up my days of anxiously waiting for decisions by at least looking forward to a few random fee waiver emails... Come on Emory, UMN, Chicago?, Davis (or even a retroactive Cornell or Penn). A girl can dream, right? :D
On that point, anyone know which schools will refund you retroactively if you get a fee waiver after applying? Or which schools specify that they won't give refunds?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:20 pm

lulu12 wrote:
vegenator wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote: I was hoping I could spice up my days of anxiously waiting for decisions by at least looking forward to a few random fee waiver emails... Come on Emory, UMN, Chicago?, Davis (or even a retroactive Cornell or Penn). A girl can dream, right? :D
On that point, anyone know which schools will refund you retroactively if you get a fee waiver after applying? Or which schools specify that they won't give refunds?

Cornell and Penn are the only two I know of that do. I know Columbia explicitly said they wouldn't. Bummer.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:14 pm

vegenator wrote:
lulu12 wrote:
vegenator wrote:

Cornell and Penn are the only two I know of that do. I know Columbia explicitly said they wouldn't. Bummer.
I figured I could've tried asking, but I didn't want the ego blow of Georgetown telling me I wasn't good enough twice in a cycle.

I'm still waiting to hear from Cardozo... I may email them back soon...

EDIT: Nvm, they gave me one hidden.

Anyone have any idea what the rationale behind that is?

MPeterson

Bronze

Post by MPeterson » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:16 pm

Has anyone had any luck requesting a fee waiver from Cornell?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:38 pm

vegenator wrote:I knew it! Why those dirty... :oops:
They could have just flat out told me they don't want to give me one like some other schools did... cough cough Georgetown.... :wink: I was hoping I could spice up my days of anxiously waiting for decisions by at least looking forward to a few random fee waiver emails... Come on Emory, UMN, Chicago?, Davis (or even a retroactive Cornell or Penn). A girl can dream, right? :D
Bolded = my sentiments exactly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:38 pm

MPeterson wrote:Has anyone had any luck requesting a fee waiver from Cornell?
They told me CRS.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:05 pm

eskimo wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:If your LSAT is at a school's 75th but your GPA is below their 25th, would you email requesting a waiver? Would you just give them your LSAT score in the email?
Yes I would email, it can't hurt, and no I wouldn't include GPA. They will probably just think you haven't sent transcripts in yet or something.

Edit: get some other opinions, because I haven't requested any waivers by email, but if I was going to, I would do what I just advised.
Can anyone confirm whether someone in the same boat should leave GPA out? My GPA is around 25th percentile and my LSAT is around or above 75th percentile for most schools I'm requesting waivers from. Should I only include the LSAT?

tas817

New

Post by tas817 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:20 pm

Got about 4 fee waivers before september and then none until 10/12/10 from Temple. was this just a mass thing they sent to everyone?

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:39 pm

tas817 wrote:Got about 4 fee waivers before september and then none until 10/12/10 from Temple. was this just a mass thing they sent to everyone?
I don't know if they sent it to "everyone" (I am assuming a LOT of people got it though). I got my fee waiver from Temple on 10/12, too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:28 pm

vegenator wrote:
tas817 wrote:Got about 4 fee waivers before september and then none until 10/12/10 from Temple. was this just a mass thing they sent to everyone?
I don't know if they sent it to "everyone" (I am assuming a LOT of people got it though). I got my fee waiver from Temple on 10/12, too.
I did not get one. Didn't get one last year either.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Just checked and at some point in the last two weeks, NYU gave me a CRS waiver. Cool... ;) We should start getting some new action again starting tomorrow, methinks.

Edit: and Georgetown! Just hoping for two more... Chicago and Cornell. Had good conversations with their reps at the Chicago forum yesterday, but will wait a couple more days before sending out those two applications.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:47 pm

Just got a BU waiver. CRS.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 am

NYU via CRS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lzyovrachievr

Gold

Post by lzyovrachievr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:12 am

forward21 wrote:NYU via CRS.
WAIT what!?

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:15 am

was this the first time you checked for the NYU waiver?

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:19 am

2011Cycle wrote:
was this the first time you checked for the NYU waiver?
No. I checked earlier today - nothing.

NYU was hidden, btw - no email for me.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:20 am

Checked for hidden NYU waiver. No luck. Am heartbroken.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”