Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
beachbum

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby beachbum » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:34 pm

jt1341 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
jt1341 wrote:So i got one from NorthWestern today as well (4.0 160).

I have also gotten them from Duke, Michigan, Columbia, UT, and UCLA.

Why am i getting all of these? My numbers would never get me into Columbia no matter what my softs are.... Right?

= Accidentally checked URM box on LSAC (there's no way Columbia would toss a fee waiver otherwise)

I most definitely didnt check the URM box. I am one to ALWAYS decline to respond (im white) lol

Columbia seems to have pretty broad parameters for giving out waivers. I got one too (170/3.4), but I'd say both of our admissions chances are about the same (i.e. zilch).

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Penn - Snail
NW - Email

No NYU

Also so far: UCLA

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:48 am

So far, the good ones I have received are...

UVA
Penn
Northwestern
Vandy
ULCA
William and Mary
UT Austin (hidden)

3.49/173

By the way, marking the hispanic box, or w/e makes a big difference for some schools it appears. My gf is half cuban and has gotten Duke, Colombia, Northwestern, Vandy, William and Mary and many others with a 3.49/161.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:20 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:So far, the good ones I have received are...

UVA
Penn
Northwestern
Vandy
ULCA
William and Mary
UT Austin (hidden)

3.49/173

By the way, marking the hispanic box, or w/e makes a big difference for some schools it appears. My gf is half cuban and has gotten Duke, Colombia, Northwestern, Vandy, William and Mary and many others with a 3.49/161.

But would any of those schools accept her with those numbers? I assume not.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:21 pm

beachbum wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:

Why am i getting all of these? My numbers would never get me into Columbia no matter what my softs are.... Right?

= Accidentally checked URM box on LSAC (there's no way Columbia would toss a fee waiver otherwise)

I most definitely didnt check the URM box. I am one to ALWAYS decline to respond (im white) lol

Columbia seems to have pretty broad parameters for giving out waivers. I got one too (170/3.4), but I'd say both of our admissions chances are about the same (i.e. zilch).

Haha unless our softs are really strong!
no, i know, i am not even applying to Columbia or NYU as my cycle is already over. It is just interesting to recieve these fee waivers. I think they are doing it to increase their numbers (as well as admissions percentages)

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:23 pm

haydee wrote:Just got home from work to find envelopes from...

UPenn
NYU
and... finally, finally! Michigan!! Including a very nice little handwritten note from Dean Zearfoss saying they love getting students from my undergrad. I'm so excited I'm starting my "Why Michigan?" essay right now....

Got the same note from Dean Zearfoss. Nice touch.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:25 pm

trudat15 wrote:

UPenn
NYU
and... finally, finally! Michigan!! Including a very nice little handwritten note from Dean Zearfoss saying they love getting students from my undergrad. I'm so excited I'm starting my "Why Michigan?" essay right now....

I got the same note too.... and i go to school in Texas. seems to be an origional too (not copied or anything :p) haha

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Either mails really slow in Canada, or else they just don't enough about me to send pretty letters.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:54 pm

jt1341 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

UPenn
NYU

I got the same note too.... and i go to school in Texas. seems to be an origional too (not copied or anything :p) haha

I got "your econ degree will be great in combination with a JD".. I really loved their viewbook.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:01 pm

jt1341 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

UPenn
NYU

same thing with the undergrad line.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:10 pm

3.99, 162...and I only got NW out of those. Only slightly jealous..okay, I lie.

JohnBoy

Postby JohnBoy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Did your michigan letters include a fee waiver?

I got the hidden waiver but my letter didn't mention anything about waiving the fee

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Got the Michigan packet in the mail today. Nice viewbook, and a personal little note congratulating me on my undergrad record. Oh Michigan, I love you so much. I wish your ED didn't require summer start.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:18 am

I got a loveley email this morning from Pepperdine, waiving my application fee and encouraging me to apply to the Faculty Scholar Award. Not interested in going to Pepperdine, but pictures of their campus and the beautiful ocean vistas around it always make me pine a little bit (although I'm more of a mountains man than a beach man).

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:34 am

Bildungsroman wrote:I got a loveley email this morning from Pepperdine, waiving my application fee and encouraging me to apply to the Faculty Scholar Award. Not interested in going to Pepperdine, but pictures of their campus and the beautiful ocean vistas around it always make me pine a little bit (although I'm more of a mountains man than a beach man).

Same, but it was a pretty email!

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:36 am

Bildungsroman wrote: (although I'm more of a mountains man than a beach man).

Malibu has mountains! lol At least compared to the below sea level, swampy flatland I call home.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:42 am

JJDancer wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote: (although I'm more of a mountains man than a beach man).

Malibu has mountains! lol At least compared to the below sea level, swampy flatland I call home.

Haha, they've got some pretty hills, but I've spent my life at the foot of the rocky mountains. It's hard to leave that behind, although I'm sure I'll end up in some flat midwerstern state for law school.

eskimo wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I got a loveley email this morning from Pepperdine, waiving my application fee and encouraging me to apply to the Faculty Scholar Award. Not interested in going to Pepperdine, but pictures of their campus and the beautiful ocean vistas around it always make me pine a little bit (although I'm more of a mountains man than a beach man).

Same, but it was a pretty email!

They know how to sell that law school. So pretty :o

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Haha, they've got some pretty hills, but I've spent my life at the foot of the rocky mountains. It's hard to leave that behind, although I'm sure I'll end up in some flat midwerstern state for law school.

While not quite like the rocky mountains, PA and NY has some decent mountain terrains. UVA/Duke is also close to the blue ridge which pretty and my favorite.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:53 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:It's hard to leave that behind, although I'm sure I'll end up in some flat midwerstern state for law school.

The only truly flat midwestern states I've been to are Kansas, Nebraska and Eastern North Dakota (haven't been to South Dakota, but they have the Bad Lands, so I imagine the whole state isn't flat). I doubt you'll end up in any of those states, so here's a little description of some of the other states.... they're much less flat.

It might not seem like much compared to a Rocky Mountain man, but when you spend a lot of time in the Midwest (like me) you learn to appreciate the subtle differences.

Iowa has lovely gentle rolling hills. Ditto for Missouri, plus Ozarks. Wisconsin is pretty rolly with lots of cool bluffs. Minnesota has rolling hills, bluffs (in SE corner), is pretty flat in the western part of the state and has "mountains" with peaks of about 2300ft in the NE corner. I won't generalize the eastern part of the Midwest, cause I haven't spent much time there.

Geography lesson complete. :wink:

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:04 pm

vegenator wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:It's hard to leave that behind, although I'm sure I'll end up in some flat midwerstern state for law school.

The only truly flat midwestern states I've been to are Kansas, Nebraska and Eastern North Dakota (haven't been to South Dakota, but they have the Bad Lands, so I imagine the whole state isn't flat). I doubt you'll end up in any of those states, so here's a little description of some of the other states.... they're much less flat.

It might not seem like much compared to a Rocky Mountain man, but when you spend a lot of time in the Midwest (like me) you learn to appreciate the subtle differences.

Iowa has lovely gentle rolling hills. Ditto for Missouri, plus Ozarks. Wisconsin is pretty rolly with lots of cool bluffs. Minnesota has rolling hills, bluffs (in SE corner), is pretty flat in the western part of the state and has "mountains" with peaks of about 2300ft in the NE corner. I won't generalize the eastern part of the Midwest, cause I haven't spent much time there.

Geography lesson complete. :wink:

Haha, thanks for the geography lesson. No matter where I go to law school, I'm going to try and seek out some good hiking and camping areas, which is my favorite way to spend a relaxing weekend. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. :)

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:09 pm

You'll definitely have options in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Missouri. There's lots of camping in Iowa, but... in my opinion, it's not that interesting due to the small size and availability of lakes/major hills. But, this is coming from a lass from the land of ten thousand lakes, so my opinion may be slightly biased :mrgreen:

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:50 pm

vegenator wrote:You'll definitely have options in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Missouri. There's lots of camping in Iowa, but... in my opinion, it's not that interesting due to the small size and availability of lakes/major hills. But, this is coming from a lass from the land of ten thousand lakes, so my opinion may be slightly biased :mrgreen:

Ahh, where in MN?

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:57 pm

JohnBoy wrote:Did your michigan letters include a fee waiver?

I got the hidden waiver but my letter didn't mention anything about waiving the fee

I got two letters, a big one and a smaller one with a fee waiver. Big one had real pen marks and a real signature, small one had photocopied signature and a fee waiver. (I preferred the impersonal photocopied due to $$$ cash money). They both came with the viewbook.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:09 pm

artichoke88 wrote:
vegenator wrote:You'll definitely have options in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Missouri. There's lots of camping in Iowa, but... in my opinion, it's not that interesting due to the small size and availability of lakes/major hills. But, this is coming from a lass from the land of ten thousand lakes, so my opinion may be slightly biased :mrgreen:

Ahh, where in MN?

The arrowhead (NE corner) has tons of cool spots for hiking/camping. Ely, Gooseberry Falls, Tower, Boundary Waters, Voyajeurs National Park, Lake Superior & Superior Hiking Trail to name a few... There are quite a few long (like 100 mile) paved bike trails throughout the state. SE Minnesota has some interesting spots too. Caves/bluffs - you can even dig up marine fossils since that part of the state was once a seafloor. (yes, I'm that nerdy :D )
Most of these options are about a 2-3 hour drive from Minneapolis, but within the suburbs there's options for decent camping too.

PMed my location...

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:18 pm

For those that are curious, both Alabama and Georgia were very gracious and accommodating when emailed a request for a fee waiver.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”