Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JJDancer

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby JJDancer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Did anyone with a less than 170 LSAT get a Texas (hidden) waiver?
(non urm)

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I also got Northwestern (hidden)

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:48 pm

I'm sad, the only T6 I have got is NYU. WHY COLUMBIA AND CHICAGO.... WHYYY!?!?

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:50 pm

CastleRock wrote:I'm sad, the only T6 I have got is NYU. WHY COLUMBIA AND CHICAGO.... WHYYY!?!?

The only T6 I have is Chicago. NYU and Columbia don't like me. Wonder what they search for specifically.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:52 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I'm sad, the only T6 I have got is NYU. WHY COLUMBIA AND CHICAGO.... WHYYY!?!?

The only T6 I have is Chicago. NYU and Columbia don't like me. Wonder what they search for specifically.

I don't know, but my stats are definitely good enough for both chicago and columbia.

mst

Postby mst » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:55 pm

I'm starting to think that with the these t14's, their LSAT ranges are so specific that they can actually pin point who has a score just a bit too low or too high (with avg. GPA taken for each respective LSAT) that they're at risk of not applying... and targeting those folks. I really don't think it has as much to do with "AWESOME LSAT PLEASE APPLY!" as some people might think... Just my idea though.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:11 am

mst wrote:I'm starting to think that with the these t14's, their LSAT ranges are so specific that they can actually pin point who has a score just a bit too low or too high (with avg. GPA taken for each respective LSAT) that they're at risk of not applying... and targeting those folks. I really don't think it has as much to do with "AWESOME LSAT PLEASE APPLY!" as some people might think... Just my idea though.

+1

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:21 am

mst wrote:I'm starting to think that with the these t14's, their LSAT ranges are so specific that they can actually pin point who has a score just a bit too low or too high (with avg. GPA taken for each respective LSAT) that they're at risk of not applying... and targeting those folks. I really don't think it has as much to do with "AWESOME LSAT PLEASE APPLY!" as some people might think... Just my idea though.

Yea, I'm sure my 177 wasn't decent enough for Columbia, or else maybe they're worried I won't apply. I think there may be a bit more to it.

mst

Postby mst » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:34 am

CastleRock wrote:

Yea, I'm sure my 177 wasn't decent enough for Columbia, or else maybe they're worried I won't apply. I think there may be a bit more to it.

If I were to look at it from a cost/benefit standpoint, they might have analyzed the numbers and realized that there were a lot of 177's not applying who were instead just applying to HYS. It might not have been a majority, but if enough 177's are neglecting to apply that it has had a negative impact on the admission pool, then yes a 177 waiver fits perfectly into my reasoning above...

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:37 am

mst wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

If I were to look at it from a cost/benefit standpoint, they might have analyzed the numbers and realized that there were a lot of 177's not applying who were instead just applying to HYS. It might not have been a majority, but if enough 177's are neglecting to apply that it has had a negative impact on the admission pool, then yes a 177 waiver fits perfectly into my reasoning above...

Yea.. thats def not it.. no way CCN is not giving fee waivers to 177s because they are afraid they wont apply. 177s routinely choose CC over HS.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:40 am

tkgrrett wrote:
mst wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Yea.. thats def not it.. no way CCN is not giving fee waivers to 177s because they are afraid they wont apply. 177s routinely choose CC over HS.

I'm Canadian, I think that might have something to do with it. But still, 7/14 T14s have given me a fee waiver.

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:50 am

Maybe Columbia is searching certain majors, states of residence and/or where you went to undergrad?

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:57 am

CastleRock wrote:

At a 177 you are probably going to shell out the money and apply regardless of waiver. Why give you it when they can profit instead?

mst

Postby mst » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:03 am

tkgrrett wrote:
mst wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Just because they routinely choose CC over YHS doesn't mean that they ALL do, and more importantly doesn't mean they all apply. Now, I'm not prepared to guess what 1 or 2 or even 10 177 applicants are worth to CLS, but if my logic is right, there are x number of 177's not applying... and soliciting that x number is worth making that application free for all 177's.

For all you know, the x amount could be 5 applicants that they are trying to bring in, regardless of the other 100+ 177's out there that would apply regardless.

Besides, when taking into account your argument that 177's would apply anyways, don't you notice that if this was true there would be no point for CLS to give fee waivers other than as a reward? God bless them if that's how they work over there, but life has taught me that most people are a little more calculating than that.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:12 am

mst wrote:
Just because they routinely choose CC over YHS doesn't mean that they ALL do, and more importantly doesn't mean they all apply. Now, I'm not prepared to guess what 1 or 2 or even 10 177 applicants are worth to CLS, but if my logic is right, there are x number of 177's not applying... and soliciting that x number is worth making that application free for all 177's.

For all you know, the x amount could be 5 applicants that they are trying to bring in, regardless of the other 100+ 177's out there that would apply regardless.

Wtf is wrong with you people?!?! you really have it in your mind that CCN has some random method between deciding which 177s to waive and which ones to not?? And you really think they are worried about collecting app fees from the <~500 or so ppl who have 177+ scores? You really think they are thinking to themselves that they should waive a bunch of ppl with 172 scores but not the 177s because they wont apply?? If so, the answer is no. Your logic isnt right because it is illogical

The randomness of waivers has to do with the way the CRS database is setup. Anyone who has ever worked with a database knows the finickiness(sp?) of search parameters. Ockhams razor ftw.

mst

Postby mst » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:21 am

My mistake, from your previous post's wording you made it seem like you had a 177 and HAD received a fee waiver. If you didn't receive a fee waiver, the same system and logic works (just that they calculated 177's were not at risk of not applying). At least it's plausible. <--- Sorry for double negative.

I'm not claiming that CLS is capable of using a database. But it is their job to run a good admissions process. So on a personal note, I'm going to believe there's a little more at play here than a very smart group of admission officers not knowing how to work a database. Just my opinion.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:24 am

I like to think they somehow found out about me as a person, decided I was a special snowflake who should be given a far shot at admission, and extended the fee waiver. I mean, there's no way CLS could have anything but good intentions in giving a waiver to a 170, right?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:10 am

Wow... I randomly got hidden ones from Texas and Northwestern too.

Which are the other schools that have hidden ones? :shock:

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:16 am

kk19131 wrote:Wow... I randomly got hidden ones from Texas and Northwestern too.

Which are the other schools that have hidden ones? :shock:

NYU, Michigan, Penn (none spotted yet this cycle), Cornell (not really "hidden" but they don't email they snail-mail so some people didn't check their real mail before the waiver showed up)

Postby 4102011 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:25 am

Regent sent me an e-mail for a fee waiver this morning. Woo! :P

Postby 4102011 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:34 am

Oh snap Columbia </3 me XD

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your interest in Columbia Law School.

Should you satisfy the requirements for a merit-based fee waiver, you will be contacted by us directly via email.

Additionally, we provide application fee waivers to those prospective applicants who have received a fee waiver through LSAC or who satisfactorily complete our need-based fee waiver application, which we have attached for your consideration.

We hope to review your application in the coming months.

Best wishes,

Columbia Law School

ayahara

Postby ayahara » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:54 am

dulcatis wrote:Oh snap Columbia </3 me XD

Dear XXX,

Should you satisfy the requirements for a merit-based fee waiver, you will be contacted by us directly via email.

Additionally, we provide application fee waivers to those prospective applicants who have received a fee waiver through LSAC or who satisfactorily complete our need-based fee waiver application, which we have attached for your consideration.

Best wishes,

Columbia Law School

You are not alone [to the tune of MJ]

lilliea

Postby lilliea » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:57 am

Perhaps this has already been answered somewhere, but I'm curious, so I'll ask it again.

Aside from HYS, are there any other t14 schools which don't give our merit-based fee waivers? I'm taking the LSAT in October, and would like to know which applications I should wait on and which ones I should just go ahead and submit.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:03 am

ayahara wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Oh snap Columbia </3 me XD

Dear XXX,

Best wishes,

Columbia Law School

You are not alone [to the tune of MJ]

<3 XD

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:27 am

lilliea wrote:Perhaps this has already been answered somewhere, but I'm curious, so I'll ask it again.

Aside from HYS, are there any other t14 schools which don't give our merit-based fee waivers? I'm taking the LSAT in October, and would like to know which applications I should wait on and which ones I should just go ahead and submit.

On Berkeley's website it says that they do not give out merit-based fee waivers. Here's what they say about fee waivers in general (posted on their FAQ page, http://www.law.berkeley.edu/47.htm )

Does Berkeley Law grant fee waivers? We will waive your Berkeley Law application fee if you were approved for an LSAC fee waiver. If you apply electronically, your application fee will be waived automatically. If you submit a paper application, simply include a copy of your LSAC fee waiver approval letter with your application. We do not provide merit-based fee waivers.

A limited number of application fee waivers are available to applicants who are current participants in public service programs (Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, etc.). For more information and to apply, visit http://www.law.berkeley.edu/39.htm. Please submit the Fee Waiver Request Form along with proof of participation to the Admissions Office. Be sure to read the instructions carefully. The deadline to submit an application with a fee waiver request is Monday, January 17, 2011.

But for me, UC Berkeley is a school worth paying $75 bucks for.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”