Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dany

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:33 pm

For anyone wondering about Northwestern, last year (and the year before, for that matter) hidden fee waivers didn't appear until late October. The first ones were found on October 20. They sent out emails about the waivers to some applicants about a week later (October 26) but from the looks of it way more people got hidden waivers than people who got emails.
Last edited by Dany on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:45 pm

Speaking of Northwestern, then, should I just wait for the chance at a fee waiver instead of applying in September? My chances are slim because I'm straight from UG, and my interview was crap, so I don't think 3-4 weeks will hurt my already abysmal chances. Thoughts?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:50 pm

eskimo wrote:Speaking of Northwestern, then, should I just wait for the chance at a fee waiver instead of applying in September? My chances are slim because I'm straight from UG, and my interview was crap, so I don't think 3-4 weeks will hurt my already abysmal chances. Thoughts?

Did you already ask for one?

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:52 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
eskimo wrote:Speaking of Northwestern, then, should I just wait for the chance at a fee waiver instead of applying in September? My chances are slim because I'm straight from UG, and my interview was crap, so I don't think 3-4 weeks will hurt my already abysmal chances. Thoughts?

No, I don't think they gave them out by request last year. :/

I'm just wondering if I should suck it up and pay the $100 (which is a lot for me) or wait it out to see if I get a CRS one.

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:03 pm

Eskimo - A quick glance of LSN leads me to believe that you will not have trouble getting into Northwestern with your numbers (I remember thinking you have a 173, 3.8+). I do not think you will hurt your chances by waiting for a fee waiver.

Disclaimer: I am slightly biased, since I will be waiting for the fee waiver.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:06 pm

eskimo wrote:my interview was crap

Can you speak to how your interview went? I remember you saying you felt excited about the interview. I am kinda stressing the interview portion and would be grateful to any insight/advice you can provide.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:46 pm

eskimo wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

I'm just wondering if I should suck it up and pay the $100 (which is a lot for me) or wait it out to see if I get a CRS one.

Don't apply to Northwestern. I'd go HYSCCNMVPBD if I were you.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Sentry wrote:
eskimo wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't pay the $100; definitely wait at least until the first wave of NU fee waivers.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Sentry wrote:
eskimo wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

I love Chicago and want to live/practice there. :) Plus, I already interviewed!

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:12 pm

Tiva wrote:

Can you speak to how your interview went? I remember you saying you felt excited about the interview. I am kinda stressing the interview portion and would be grateful to any insight/advice you can provide.

My interview was really pretty soft and casual. We met at the office of his boutique firm and talked for about 40 minutes. I was dressed up way more than him, though it may have been casual friday. Basic questions: Why Northwestern, Why Law, background stuff. I honestly feel like I totally botched mine, but at the very least I think I didn't come across as violent or psychotic. So that's a plus, I guess.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Marionberry wrote:
Tiva wrote:

My interview was really pretty soft and casual. We met at the office of his boutique firm and talked for about 40 minutes. I was dressed up way more than him, though it may have been casual friday. Basic questions: Why Northwestern, Why Law, background stuff. I honestly feel like I totally botched mine, but at the very least I think I didn't come across as violent or psychotic. So that's a plus, I guess.

nice ninja edit

good to know, thanks for the info. I think I will still go ahead and buy a suit for the interview.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:21 pm

eskimo wrote:
Sentry wrote:
eskimo wrote:No, I don't think they gave them out by request last year. :/

I love Chicago and want to live/practice there. :) Plus, I already interviewed!

Since NW is on the low end of your potential, and your numbers are so good that applying later will likely not hurt, I would wait.

Also, send an email and ask for a waiver. Even if it's 99% likely to be rejected, it only takes 10 seconds.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:01 pm

Tulane waiver today

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:04 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Tulane waiver today

+1

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:08 pm

yup, feels like my first one in a while.

JohnBoy

Postby JohnBoy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:36 pm

Anyone know anything about the upenn waiver?

speedyj88

Postby speedyj88 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Is anybody else getting fee waivers without all their transcripts processed? I feel like mine have stopped coming recently and I'm wondering if this could be the problem. I gotta get on that soon anyways, it's getting a little late.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:40 pm

JohnBoy wrote:Anyone know anything about the upenn waiver?

eskimo wrote:Did a little research in last year's thread:

NYU hidden waivers appeared as early as September 8.

Penn hidden waivers began popping up on September 17. Viewbooks and snail-mail letters were sent out with some applicants receiving them as early as September 20, and others not getting them until October.

Columbia sent email fee waivers on September 17, but hidden ones appeared several days before for some applicants.

Hope this is helpful for others waiting to hear from the rest of the T-14!

Do proletariat* even read my pretty posts? :(

*That was supposed to be "people" but my iPod changed it and I left it because it was funny.

JohnBoy

Postby JohnBoy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Do proletariat* even read my pretty posts? :(

*That was supposed to be "people" but my iPod changed it and I left it because it was funny.[/quote]

Are you directly referring to me as lower class?

That is last year, just like penn had four optional essays instead of three. I was wondering if anyone emailed them, had more information, etc.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:48 pm

JohnBoy wrote:Do proletariat* even read my pretty posts? :(

*That was supposed to be "people" but my iPod changed it and I left it because it was funny.

Are you directly referring to me as lower class?

That is last year, just like penn had four optional essays instead of three. I was wondering if anyone emailed them, had more information, etc.[/quote]
Everything else has followed the pattern from last year. If you'd like more information, you are more than welcome to email/call them and share! :)

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:52 pm

nematoad wrote:

+1

+2

JohnBoy

Postby JohnBoy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:55 pm

eskimo wrote:Everything else has followed the pattern from last year. If you'd like more information, you are more than welcome to email/call them and share! :)

Yes ma'am. And good luck with Chicago.

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:03 pm

When I tried to check for a hidden fee waiver from Penn, it came up with this message:

"NOTE: Transmission of electronic applications to this law school will begin on 9/24/2010. Please return to this page at that time to transmit your application."

So unless I'm the only one getting this message, there's no good reason to get worked up about a Penn fee waiver for another few weeks anyway.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:06 pm

leopardRAWR wrote:When I tried to check for a hidden fee waiver from Penn, it came up with this message:

"NOTE: Transmission of electronic applications to this law school will begin on 9/24/2010. Please return to this page at that time to transmit your application."

So unless I'm the only one getting this message, there's no good reason to get worked up about a Penn fee waiver for another few weeks anyway.

Same here.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Tulane waiver today! woo!

And it makes sense we can't see if we have hidden waivers until we could theoretically submit the application (not that that's stopped me from repeatedly checking...)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”