Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Sentry wrote:I haven't gotten a fee waiver since UVA... :(


I haven't gotten one in forever either. Do me a favor and check your LSAC information page and make sure nothing is missing or changed since lsac updated their site, specifically citizenship data. I'm working on a little conspiracy theory over here.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Sentry » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Sentry wrote:I haven't gotten a fee waiver since UVA... :(


I haven't gotten one in forever either. Do me a favor and check your LSAC information page and make sure nothing is missing or changed since lsac updated their site, specifically citizenship data. I'm working on a little conspiracy theory over here.

I got the notice that I needed to indicate my citizenship status yesterday. :| I'm blaming the LSAC update.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Sentry wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Sentry wrote:I haven't gotten a fee waiver since UVA... :(


I haven't gotten one in forever either. Do me a favor and check your LSAC information page and make sure nothing is missing or changed since lsac updated their site, specifically citizenship data. I'm working on a little conspiracy theory over here.

I got the notice that I needed to indicate my citizenship status yesterday. :| I'm blaming the LSAC update.


Ahah. I wonder if that's why. Let's see if we are included in the next round of fee waivers.

Did you have it filled in before the update, do you remember?

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Sentry » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:25 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Sentry wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Sentry wrote:I haven't gotten a fee waiver since UVA... :(


I haven't gotten one in forever either. Do me a favor and check your LSAC information page and make sure nothing is missing or changed since lsac updated their site, specifically citizenship data. I'm working on a little conspiracy theory over here.

I got the notice that I needed to indicate my citizenship status yesterday. :| I'm blaming the LSAC update.


Ahah. I wonder if that's why. Let's see if we are included in the next round of fee waivers.

It must be some kind of mistake. What school wouldn't want to try and get us?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Dany » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 pm

nematoad wrote:
eskimo wrote:Did a little research in last year's thread:

NYU hidden waivers appeared as early as September 8.

Penn hidden waivers began popping up on September 17. Viewbooks and snail-mail letters were sent out with some applicants receiving them as early as September 20, and others not getting them until October.

Columbia sent email fee waivers on September 17, but hidden ones appeared several days before for some applicants.

Hope this is helpful for others waiting to hear from the rest of the T-14!


nice color coordination!


acrossthelake wrote:Thanks Eskimo.


Glad you guys liked it! :)

User avatar
Kswizzie
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Kswizzie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:09 pm

I got a bunch of worthless TTT and TTTT waivers in the past couple hours I assume none of you care what they were

archie&veronica
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:23 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby archie&veronica » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Sentry wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Sentry wrote:I haven't gotten a fee waiver since UVA... :(


I haven't gotten one in forever either. Do me a favor and check your LSAC information page and make sure nothing is missing or changed since lsac updated their site, specifically citizenship data. I'm working on a little conspiracy theory over here.

I got the notice that I needed to indicate my citizenship status yesterday. :| I'm blaming the LSAC update.


Ahah. I wonder if that's why. Let's see if we are included in the next round of fee waivers.

Did you have it filled in before the update, do you remember?


I had the missing citizenship notification the other day, but I got the Chicago waiver on 9/1.

User avatar
JohnBoy
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby JohnBoy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Is this going to transition to the waiting room after deadlines start approaching, or is everyone moving to another post?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Dany » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:48 pm

JohnBoy wrote:Is this going to transition to the waiting room after deadlines start approaching, or is everyone moving to another post?

I think the Fall 2011 Applicants FAQ, Misc. Qs, & Chat Thread is the de facto waiting room.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby thecilent » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Kswizzie wrote:I got a bunch of worthless TTT and TTTT waivers in the past couple hours I assume none of you care what they were


lol

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Dany » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:46 pm

thecilent wrote:
Kswizzie wrote:I got a bunch of worthless TTT and TTTT waivers in the past couple hours I assume none of you care what they were


lol

I kind of loved that. I really don't care if someone got a Campbell Law waiver. Seriously. I know that's elitist, but on TOP-law-schools.com we could at least keep it to top 100, right?

User avatar
mpasi
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby mpasi » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:08 pm

eskimo wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Kswizzie wrote:I got a bunch of worthless TTT and TTTT waivers in the past couple hours I assume none of you care what they were


lol

I kind of loved that. I really don't care if someone got a Campbell Law waiver. Seriously. I know that's elitist, but on TOP-law-schools.com we could at least keep it to top 100, right?



The site isn't just about the best law schools. If it were, it wouldn't include profiles on schools from all tiers. I think it's great when someone gets into law school, regardless of whether the school is prestigious or not. Elitism is for weak-minded people, imho.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Dany » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:29 pm

mpasi wrote:
eskimo wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Kswizzie wrote:I got a bunch of worthless TTT and TTTT waivers in the past couple hours I assume none of you care what they were


lol

I kind of loved that. I really don't care if someone got a Campbell Law waiver. Seriously. I know that's elitist, but on TOP-law-schools.com we could at least keep it to top 100, right?



The site isn't just about the best law schools. If it were, it wouldn't include profiles on schools from all tiers. I think it's great when someone gets into law school, regardless of whether the school is prestigious or not. Elitism is for weak-minded people, imho.

I don't think it's great when someone could pick up the bibles, study their butt off for the LSAT, and at least get into a good regional school that won't suck their money up and leave them jobless. I'm not a T-14 troll, or even a top-50 troll, but a line has to be drawn somewhere as to what's a good investment and what's not.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby beachbum » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:32 pm

eskimo wrote:I don't think it's great when someone could pick up the bibles, study their butt off for the LSAT, and at least get into a good regional school that won't suck their money up and leave them jobless. I'm not a T-14 troll, or even a top-50 troll, but a line has to be drawn somewhere as to what's a good investment and what's not.


blatant anti-Campbell trolling.

User avatar
TT09
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby TT09 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:20 am

mpasi wrote:
eskimo wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Kswizzie wrote:I got a bunch of worthless TTT and TTTT waivers in the past couple hours I assume none of you care what they were


lol

I kind of loved that. I really don't care if someone got a Campbell Law waiver. Seriously. I know that's elitist, but on TOP-law-schools.com we could at least keep it to top 100, right?



The site isn't just about the best law schools. If it were, it wouldn't include profiles on schools from all tiers. I think it's great when someone gets into law school, regardless of whether the school is prestigious or not. Elitism is for weak-minded people, imho.



+1

User avatar
nematoad
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby nematoad » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:31 am

eskimo wrote:
mpasi wrote:

The site isn't just about the best law schools. If it were, it wouldn't include profiles on schools from all tiers. I think it's great when someone gets into law school, regardless of whether the school is prestigious or not. Elitism is for weak-minded people, imho.

I don't think it's great when someone could pick up the bibles, study their butt off for the LSAT, and at least get into a good regional school that won't suck their money up and leave them jobless. I'm not a T-14 troll, or even a top-50 troll, but a line has to be drawn somewhere as to what's a good investment and what's not.


+1. I think the main issue is that in the US people are now able to basically buy their graduate degrees. There was a time where you had to actually be good at something to get past undergrad, or get into undergrad for that matter. I don't think it's elitism when someone questions that notion. Also don't forget for a second that a law school is a business, they want our money.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Dany » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:38 am

TT09 wrote:
mpasi wrote:The site isn't just about the best law schools. If it were, it wouldn't include profiles on schools from all tiers. I think it's great when someone gets into law school, regardless of whether the school is prestigious or not. Elitism is for weak-minded people, imho.

+1

Pragmatism elitism.

FWIW, since you guys probably think I'm a jerk, I'll let you know that I grew up poor and do not attend an elite UG, and I feel like I'm coming off wrong. Not worth an argument, though, so sorry if I've offended.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:49 am

mpasi wrote:The site isn't just about the best law schools. If it were, it wouldn't include profiles on schools from all tiers. I think it's great when someone gets into law school, regardless of whether the school is prestigious or not. Elitism is for weak-minded people, imho.

This argument would be more credible if the site wasn't named TOP law schools.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Dany » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:54 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
mpasi wrote:The site isn't just about the best law schools. If it were, it wouldn't include profiles on schools from all tiers. I think it's great when someone gets into law school, regardless of whether the school is prestigious or not. Elitism is for weak-minded people, imho.

This argument would be more credible if the site wasn't named TOP law schools.

Sometimes I just feel like following you around and posting "<3" after everything you say.

If your sense of humor/sarcasm/irony IRL is anything like on here, we'd get along so well.

Sorry that's creepy.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:56 am

eskimo wrote:
TT09 wrote:
mpasi wrote:The site isn't just about the best law schools. If it were, it wouldn't include profiles on schools from all tiers. I think it's great when someone gets into law school, regardless of whether the school is prestigious or not. Elitism is for weak-minded people, imho.

+1

Pragmatism elitism.

FWIW, since you guys probably think I'm a jerk, I'll let you know that I grew up poor and do not attend an elite UG, and I feel like I'm coming off wrong. Not worth an argument, though, so sorry if I've offended.


C'mon guys, let's not jump on Eskimo because she makes a point that we all would agree with if we weren't too busy misinterpreting her remarks. Let's be real here. Law school is an enormous financial investment. At some point, you need to consider whether that is a wise investment or not. There is absolutely nothing wrong or elitist with saying that beyond some cut-off point, which Eskimo didn't even define, it isn't worth the investment. In fact, I think one would be hard pressed to disagree with the statement that there are plenty of law schools that are not worth going to, based on realistic job prospects, especially if one is paying sticker.

Those that know me will know that i'm not elitist in the least. In fact, my dad went to a T2 school that many people here would consider TTT, and he is doing well for himself (albeit this was during a different time and economy), so I like to think I have a solid perspective on this argument, and realize that it is possible to have a strong career in the legal field without a T-14 degree on your resume. However, like Eskimo said, there's a difference between elitism and pragmatism. Let's be real guys, we owe it to ourselves and fellow TLSers and law school applicants.

User avatar
mpasi
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby mpasi » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:59 am

eskimo wrote:
TT09 wrote:
mpasi wrote:The site isn't just about the best law schools. If it were, it wouldn't include profiles on schools from all tiers. I think it's great when someone gets into law school, regardless of whether the school is prestigious or not. Elitism is for weak-minded people, imho.

+1

Pragmatism elitism.

FWIW, since you guys probably think I'm a jerk, I'll let you know that I grew up poor and do not attend an elite UG, and I feel like I'm coming off wrong. Not worth an argument, though, so sorry if I've offended.



I don't think you're a jerk. My comment was in response to yours, but I wasn't passing judgment or anything like that. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to get into the best school you possibly can, be it Harvard or OKCU (insert giggles here). What I have a problem with is the small minority of people here who try and make others feel like shit because they're not going to/applying to a certain school. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned elitism being for feeble-minded people. Sorry for generalizing.

User avatar
MY2010
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:37 am

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby MY2010 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:03 am

mpasi wrote:
eskimo wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Kswizzie wrote:I got a bunch of worthless TTT and TTTT waivers in the past couple hours I assume none of you care what they were


lol

I kind of loved that. I really don't care if someone got a Campbell Law waiver. Seriously. I know that's elitist, but on TOP-law-schools.com we could at least keep it to top 100, right?



The site isn't just about the best law schools. If it were, it wouldn't include profiles on schools from all tiers. I think it's great when someone gets into law school, regardless of whether the school is prestigious or not. Elitism is for weak-minded people, imho.



sorry if it's mean but this really made me laugh.
i don't know how well off others are but i need a JOB because law school is EXPENSIVE.
whether it's called elitism or not, i am not wasting my time on TTT.

and please, don't be so sensitive.

haha i'm not usually this blunt but i had to say something.
thanks, i had a good laugh though :D

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby gdane » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:05 am

The "this is TOP law schools.com, so STFU unless youre talking about HYS" argument is weak. There is no definition of "Top" law school anywhere on here. At least not as this site is intended to define it. Mr. Ken made this site to help everyone get into their law school of choice. That may be Harvard, Yale, Georgetown, but it could also be Georgia, Fordham, Florida, etc etc. Every law school is different and every person is different. While I dont advocate going to a TTTT, in some cases going to the strongest school in your region means that youre not going to a Top 14. Is the strongest law school in Wyoming not a "top" law school? I would agree that it is tops for that state/market.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Dany » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:07 am

Image

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby Dany » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:10 am

Btw, Knock, when I was looking for that picture to steer this thread away from debate, I found this:

--ImageRemoved--

:) - that can be a meme for our other thread.
Last edited by Dany on Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests