Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cartercl

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Postby cartercl » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:41 pm

I thought McGeorge gave out a fee waiver code on its website after filling out a short survey. Actually, I know they do. Are they trying to misrepresent the fee waiver as something special? Well, that's low...

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:37 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Just got off the phone with LSAC (NICEST customer service person I have ever encountered, ever). Apparently I have fee waivers for some of these schools, but the schools didn't bother to e-mail me to inform me of such this time around. Waivers for last cycle have been cleared, so she couldn't check to see if I had hidden waivers for last cycle anymore.

Hey-O wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:Fall 2011? Why not Fall 2010...?

Anyway, I took the February 2010 LSAT, applied, withdrew from all my schools because I decided for various reasons to wait a year, and am planning on re-applying this fall (2010). I'm signed up for CRS, but haven't been getting fee waivers, I'm assuming since I got them all last cycle and many schools probably assume that I'm starting school this fall. Should I just email schools I'm interested in to try to get waivers?

This is my case too. I wonder if you can email LSAC and let them know you are applying again this year.

Yay! Thank you for posting this. I was going to do this, but now I guess I don't have to.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:40 pm

angiej wrote:
cartercl wrote:Valparaiso - Way back on 5/5

Damn you! I actually want to go there and I've gotten nada. Is there some way of indicating which schools you want to apply to?

If you don't automatically get a fee waiver you can email the school and ask for one.

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:03 pm

Hey-O wrote:
angiej wrote:

Damn you! I actually want to go there and I've gotten nada. Is there some way of indicating which schools you want to apply to?

If you don't automatically get a fee waiver you can email the school and ask for one.

Is it tacky to ask during my visit so they can see my genuine interest? Or is it better to follow up a few days later as a way of indicating my heightened interest post-visit?

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:08 pm

angiej wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
angiej wrote:

Is it tacky to ask during my visit so they can see my genuine interest? Or is it better to follow up a few days later as a way of indicating my heightened interest post-visit?

Play it by ear. If an opportunity to ask the question comes up then do so. If an opportunity does not come up then follow-up. On face, I don't thinks it tacky at all.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:21 pm

pjo wrote:7/01: Just got one from Pacific McGeorge. My LSAT is 162 btw.

Hey has anyone else been getting emails from schools saying they still have open seats for the class starting this Fall and to apply now if I want in with money? I just find it weird because I haven't even graduated from college yet.

Yep, been getting those all week. Have been out of UG for a few years, but the thought of picking up and moving in a month when I took the June LSAT, and was expecting to go next year, just doesn't seem feasible to me at this point. Plus, eventhough I've responded to each email with this question "is schlorship funding still available"? And they've all said "yes. let me know once you've submitted your application, so that I can take a look..." I doubt there's much funding left at this point.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 am

For the lulz...

7/2-California School of Law
7/1-Charlotte Law School
6/29-Phoenix Law School

Jealous...? :wink:

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:04 am

acrossthelake wrote:Just got off the phone with LSAC (NICEST customer service person I have ever encountered, ever). Apparently I have fee waivers for some of these schools, but the schools didn't bother to e-mail me to inform me of such this time around. Waivers for last cycle have been cleared, so she couldn't check to see if I had hidden waivers for last cycle anymore.

Hey-O wrote:

Anyway, I took the February 2010 LSAT, applied, withdrew from all my schools because I decided for various reasons to wait a year, and am planning on re-applying this fall (2010). I'm signed up for CRS, but haven't been getting fee waivers, I'm assuming since I got them all last cycle and many schools probably assume that I'm starting school this fall. Should I just email schools I'm interested in to try to get waivers?

This is my case too. I wonder if you can email LSAC and let them know you are applying again this year.

Grrr - I called LSAC to ask if I had any fee waivers on my account that I didn't know about and she refused to even look. She said there is no way for me to know until I actually apply. I explained that I may apply to some schools that I woudln't otherwise if I knew I had a fee waiver and she said "there is no list, there is no way for me to know." Sounds like someone wasn't interested in doing her job this morning. :roll:

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:38 am

George Mason - postcard by mail yesterday...165 7/1/2010

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:05 pm

angiej wrote:

Hey-O wrote:

Grrr - I called LSAC to ask if I had any fee waivers on my account that I didn't know about and she refused to even look. She said there is no way for me to know until I actually apply. I explained that I may apply to some schools that I woudln't otherwise if I knew I had a fee waiver and she said "there is no list, there is no way for me to know." Sounds like someone wasn't interested in doing her job this morning. :roll:

The lady I talked to was far and away the nicest customer service agent I've come across my entire life who went out of her way to be helpful to me. I was trying to ask if she could see if Columbia had given me one last year so when e-mailing to ask for one this year I could mention that. So she looked at my account, read out what I had *now*, and said that unfortunately last year's cycle had been wiped by now.

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:11 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
The lady I talked to was far and away the nicest customer service agent I've come across my entire life who went out of her way to be helpful to me. I was trying to ask if she could see if Columbia had given me one last year so when e-mailing to ask for one this year I could mention that. So she looked at my account, read out what I had *now*, and said that unfortunately last year's cycle had been wiped by now.

Yep, I figure the person I spoke to was either clueless, or lazy. Or both. I have the worst trouble with customer service.

makingwaves

Postby makingwaves » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:12 pm

malfurion wrote:One more you can add:
7/1 Pacific (McGeorge)

Ditto, + Gonzaga 7/1 as well.

160/3.67 :)

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:29 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:George Mason - postcard by mail yesterday...165 7/1/2010

just wondering, are you URM? Also, according to appreqs.com GMU refunds your app fee upon some type of contingency base (like getting admitted or something)

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:21 pm

So far:

6/29 - Phoenix School of Law
6/29 - Seton Hall
7/1 - Charlotte School of Law

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:36 pm

pjo wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:George Mason - postcard by mail yesterday...165 7/1/2010

just wondering, are you URM? Also, according to appreqs.com GMU refunds your app fee upon some type of contingency base (like getting admitted or something)

nope not a URM...russian but I don't think that counts. I have NO idea why I'm getting these but hey I'll take them. Got another one again from George Mason...its called an invitation to apply

I am just as confused as you are...but I will take it...
maybe its my GPA?

edit : grammer

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:31 pm

Adding to the list :D
Richmond - 7/1
Seton Hall - 6/29

and various other schools like Tulsa, Ohio Northern, and Drexel whose applications are free.

Though I'm really interested in Cali schools and have yet to hear from any :(

erryo

Postby erryo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:44 pm

I also got waivers from Cincy, Richmond and Seton Hall. LSAT: 163.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:15 am

I want more fee waivers!!

After getting 3 in a day, I was hoping to have a consistent amount of fee waivers rolling in.

geist

Postby geist » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:01 am

6/29 University of Richmond
6/29 University of Cincinnati
6/29 Seton Hall Law

LSAT 160
Self Reported GPA Range 3.0-3.5 (actual UG: 3.16)
Biological Sciences

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:12 am

msch0i wrote:
Though I'm really interested in Cali schools and have yet to hear from any :(

I also want to hear more from Cali/West Coast schools. I can't really see myself going to law school anywhere else.

wildcathighfive

Postby wildcathighfive » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:54 pm

yeah i have a 169 and i have gotten anything at all--i checked my account and confirmed that CRS knows that I'm applying for Fall 2011 admission. I registered way back in April, so maybe that's it? I'm really curious, I'll have to call them later this week...

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Can someone tell me what a fee waiver is?? In high school, poor kids applied for fee waivers and got them if they met low income guidelines. Therefore, they didn't have to pay to apply to the college. Is a fee waiver the same when applying to law school? Is this for poor people?

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:45 am

masterthearts wrote:Can someone tell me what a fee waiver is?? In high school, poor kids applied for fee waivers and got them if they met low income guidelines. Therefore, they didn't have to pay to apply to the college. Is a fee waiver the same when applying to law school? Is this for poor people?

In this thread I believe most people are discussing merit waivers, which are based on having a certain GPA and/or LSAT score. However, there are income-based fee waivers as well. You can ask each school to which you apply if they grant waivers based on income - I can't imagine any would say a flat-out no, but you will be required to provide proof of your income. If you got a fee waiver from LSAC some will automatically give you a fee waiver based on that.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:01 am

cynthia rose wrote:
masterthearts wrote:Can someone tell me what a fee waiver is?? In high school, poor kids applied for fee waivers and got them if they met low income guidelines. Therefore, they didn't have to pay to apply to the college. Is a fee waiver the same when applying to law school? Is this for poor people?

In this thread I believe most people are discussing merit waivers, which are based on having a certain GPA and/or LSAT score. However, there are income-based fee waivers as well. You can ask each school to which you apply if they grant waivers based on income - I can't imagine any would say a flat-out no, but you will be required to provide proof of your income. If you got a fee waiver from LSAC some will automatically give you a fee waiver based on that.

No, I won't get a fee waiver based on income. I won't take the LSAT till Oct. and will be applying then, so I doubt I'll get any fee waivers early in the cycle when I apply.
Thanks

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:07 pm

University of Minnesota- 7/7

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”