Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vegenator

Bronze

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Post by vegenator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:43 pm

msch0i wrote:Does anyone know if UC Davis gave out any hidden waivers last cycle?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=2525

Browsing through this thread it seems that UCDavis switched over to an all needs-based waiver system mid-cycle last year, but it does seem some people got some hidden/CRS based waivers mid November.

When I emailed UCDavis a month ago about merit-based fee waivers they told me they only give them out via CRS searches, so I'll just have to wait.... Come on Davis, show me some Aggie love :D

Also, I got a Duke viewbook & fee waiver via snailmail today. The letter was just to ensure that I got the fee waiver they sent out to my email a while ago (I've since applied), so perhaps a few of you TLSers out there may get the snailmail waiver today without having gotten the email version a while back? I hope so. I like fee waivers for everyone :mrgreen:

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Just got the Notre Dame email, but meh....

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:38 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Notre Dame waiver here.
+1 via email.
Not applying though.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:39 pm

JJDancer wrote:
+1 via email.
Not applying though.

Man, I thought I was the only one. I sent them an email a month ago asking for a fee waiver and they wouldn't give me one. This email specifically said there is no fee waiver attached so I got my hopes up thinking it was actually a targeted email sent to me...should've known better by now.

Wait I just re-read that. Did you get a waiver or just an email telling you to apply? I didn't get the waiver part

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:45 pm

pjo wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
+1 via email.
Not applying though.

Man, I thought I was the only one. I sent them an email a month ago asking for a fee waiver and they wouldn't give me one. This email specifically said there is no fee waiver attached so I got my hopes up thinking it was actually a targeted email sent to me...should've known better by now.

Wait I just re-read that. Did you get a waiver or just an email telling you to apply? I didn't get the waiver part
The first paragraph in my email:

I invite you to consider Notre Dame Law School as you make plans for your legal education and career. From information provided by the Law School Admission Council, it appears that you are a highly competitive candidate for our admissions process. To alleviate the financial burden of applying to Notre Dame, we have waived your application fee and have notified LSDAS regarding this waiver.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:47 pm

So goes the first paragraph of the fee waiver email from Notre Dame:
Dear Vegenator,
I invite you to consider Notre Dame Law School as you make plans for your legal education and career. From information provided by the Law School Admission Council, it appears that you are a highly competitive candidate for our admissions process. To alleviate the financial burden of applying to Notre Dame, we have waived your application fee and have notified LSDAS regarding this waiver.
That's so mean of schools to psych people out, sending them promising emails with no fee waivers. :( I think U of MN did this to some people too? I wasn't signed up for CRS in July when they sent those out, so I am stuck waiting until they send out the second round (after Oct scores are released? I hope).

Pjo, perhaps Notre Dame waived your fee and sent you the wrong email? (remaining hopeful) :D . Try previewing your application to see if you maybe got the waiver. Hope they goofed up.

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
pjo wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
+1 via email.
Not applying though.

The first paragraph in my email:

:shock: :shock: :shock: R6_philly, Notre Dame sent you the exact same email? Now I feel so much less special.... just kidding :wink:
You beat me to the post, but we were both thinking the same thing...

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:53 pm

Duke packet w/waiver letter!

You've hooked me, Duke. I'll boost your selectivity rating. Sigh..

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:05 pm

vegenator wrote:So goes the first paragraph of the fee waiver email from Notre Dame:
Dear Vegenator,
That's so mean of schools to psych people out, sending them promising emails with no fee waivers. :( I think U of MN did this to some people too? I wasn't signed up for CRS in July when they sent those out, so I am stuck waiting until they send out the second round (after Oct scores are released? I hope).

Pjo, perhaps Notre Dame waived your fee and sent you the wrong email? (remaining hopeful) :D . Try previewing your application to see if you maybe got the waiver. Hope they goofed up.
Naw I just checked for the hidden. Man this sucks. I'm still applying though..actually decided to apply ED. Still though that's disheartening. They're one of two schools from my app list that won't give me one. Hopefully my Why ND essay and ED makes up for my (apparently) relatively uncompetitive numbers

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 pm

pjo wrote:
Naw I just checked for the hidden. Man this sucks. I'm still applying though..actually decided to apply ED. Still though that's disheartening. They're one of two schools from my app list that won't give me one. Hopefully my Why ND essay and ED makes up for my (apparently) relatively uncompetitive numbers

That's too bad :( But I wouldn't assume your numbers are "relatively uncompetitive" just because you didn't get a waiver. Notre Dame may just be really stingy with their waivers. I would think a solid "why ND," PS, ED, and numbers within or even slightly below their 25th - 75ths would give you a great chance at getting in. Applications are tedious, waiting induces anxiety, the LSAT sucks.... But, in a few months this will all be over and we'll be skipping our way into great law schools :D

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm just not interested in a conservative Catholic school in Indiana... :?

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:25 pm

i'm interested enough to fill out the application, pay my $12 and see what happens... maybe future negotiating material? You never know...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:26 pm

pjo wrote:
vegenator wrote:So goes the first paragraph of the fee waiver email from Notre Dame:
Dear Vegenator,

Like most schools, it really depends what your numbers are relative to their medians. If you're a borderline applicant, I've heard (anecdotally) that ND is a sucker for strong displays of interest. The ED will obviously help, and your Why ND? essay will go a long way.

Of course- and I'm about to get on my soapbox here- you should make sure you're ready to take on that amount of debt. ND OCI was a bloodbath the last few years (more so than many of its peer schools), so attending at sticker is a bit of a risky proposition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 pm

vegenator wrote: But, in a few months this will all be over and we'll be skipping our way into great law schools :D
That's pretty much what I said 7 months ago. Now I am onto my 2nd cycle.

In comparison my grad school admission process was soooo much easier and more pleasant. I am surprised I am still in this!

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 pm

beachbum wrote:
pjo wrote:
Dear Vegenator,

Like most schools, it really depends what your numbers are relative to their medians. If you're a borderline applicant, I've heard (anecdotally) that ND is a sucker for strong displays of interest. The ED will obviously help, and your Why ND? essay will go a long way.

Of course- and I'm about to get on my soapbox here- you should make sure you're ready to take on that amount of debt. ND OCI was a bloodbath the last few years (more so than many of its peer schools), so attending at sticker is a bit of a risky proposition.
Their ED is semi non-binding though so I still have time to see where else I get in before I make the decision

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:37 pm

pjo wrote:Their ED is semi non-binding though so I still have time to see where else I get in before I make the decision
Are you sure?

"Once admitted, Early Decision applicants must withdraw all applications at other law schools. Admitted candidates are required to submit a seat deposit, which will be applied to fall tuition, to confirm enrollment."

Sorry, not tryin to be a doucher- I just know of too many people in too much debt.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Pretty sure Notre Dame's ED changed this year to be binding. IIRC it used be that one who applied to Notre Dame ED would get a decision in pretty fast and then have an early deadline by which to accept or deny the offer of admission. This year it seems to be a standard binding ED.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Pretty sure Notre Dame's ED changed this year to be binding. IIRC it used be that one who applied to Notre Dame ED would get a decision in pretty fast and then have an early deadline by which to accept or deny the offer of admission. This year it seems to be a standard binding ED.
great :roll: . Worst part is I can't go back and choose RD. I guess I won't be applying there now. Luckily I didn't send it in. Thanks tho beachbum, you just saved me 200k

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:55 pm

pjo wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Pretty sure Notre Dame's ED changed this year to be binding. IIRC it used be that one who applied to Notre Dame ED would get a decision in pretty fast and then have an early deadline by which to accept or deny the offer of admission. This year it seems to be a standard binding ED.
great :roll: . Worst part is I can't go back and choose RD. I guess I won't be applying there now. Luckily I didn't send it in. Thanks tho beachbum, you just saved me 200k
You can probably call LSAC and have them reset it for you.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:59 pm

What's their deal. honestly. Why would they make it so I can't go back and choose the RD form if I haven't sent in the ED form?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:03 pm

pjo wrote:What's their deal. honestly. Why would they make it so I can't go back and choose the RD form if I haven't sent in the ED form?
If I had to guess, as a programmer, it's too hard to change the application association so let's just work around it by forcing the user to only choose once.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
vegenator wrote: But, in a few months this will all be over and we'll be skipping our way into great law schools :D
That's pretty much what I said 7 months ago. Now I am onto my 2nd cycle.

In comparison my grad school admission process was soooo much easier and more pleasant. I am surprised I am still in this!
Philly, sorry to hear your law school cycle(s) are going so rough. For me the opposite was/is true. I only applied to six grad schools, but between schools each having a different LOR format, the overnight postage to schools when I got one of my LORs past the deadline, retaking the GRE, ordering a copy of my transcript for every school etc. it was much more demanding than the law school application process. As much as we complain about LSAC and the obvious improvements they could implement, as a whole, I think the system is far better organized than grad school application system (or lack thereof). Perhaps I'll have a different perspective once I'm done with my law school cycle, but at least the applications thus far seem easier and smoother.

As far as skipping into great law schools, I didn't mean to sound naive. For me personally, the odds of decent employment/salary are still better in some T25 school than if I had stayed on and gotten a PhD in my department (yes, it's true... not all humanities are in high demand right now). Plus, with all these fee waivers and apps I'll be sending out on the cheap, I figure I'll have at least one attractive offer. Even if I don't end up in a top school, working big law, or with some other stellar salary, I'll still be earning more money than I would be if I had stayed and gotten the PhD in the field I was in. Also, although I loved grad school, I ultimately think it wasn't the most fulfilling career path for me to start with. I think the field of law I'd like to go into complements my grad school experience and will lead to more fulfilling job prospects.

Hope your second cycle goes better and cheers to all the applicants with graduate degrees :D

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks! I hope you get some good offers!

I am almost the opposite. I was recruited by my UG school to do a masters with full ride + stipend. I decided to apply to top schools in a different fiedl and got in at my first choice a week after sending in the application. I am pretty much taking a pay cut to do the masters because I interested in the public sector (I am in software engineering/info assurance). I really just want to pursue something that will affect others' lives for the better. Law would just bridge my skills and where I want to be.

I applied too late last cycle and got in one and waitlisted at a bunch, then end up not able to go anyway. I am enjoying grad school though so it's ok. I just hope I get some good options this cycle. I waited long enough lol

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks, Philly!
I'm glad you're enjoying your grad school, I don't think you'll ever regret having gone, even if it doesn't ultimately net you big money. Grad school's one of those things you'll never forget, not only for the people you meet, but at least in my case because I really felt it helped me develop intellectually and professionally. I ended up going to one of my safeties on a full-ride with stipend, because in German Literature it's really, really, really, unjustifiable to take out loans for grad school. Even though it wasn't a "top" school, I'm so glad I went.

Now that I've distanced myself from German literature, as interesting as it was, I realize it's not what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. It just doesn't have the social impact I was looking for. Like you, I think law will help me bridge this gap. Also, I would have been in the same boat as you last year. I decided definitively that I wanted to do law school in late November 09 and had absolutely nothing organized. I made the painful choice to sit out a season and take the full year to prepare my applications, collect LORs, study for LSAT etc. I'm really hoping the decision to wait will pay off. And by the way, with your current scores, GPA, graduate degree and major combo, it sounds like you'll get some good offers. :D Just make sure you apply early :mrgreen:
I'm hoping we'll each have nice, offer-laden, short cycles.
Down with waiting :D

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:34 am

German, huh? The chair of my UG computer science was a triple major in Math, Computer Science and Russian. He loved Russian but saw no future in it. I can certainly understand. I chose my MPA over the MPP because I wanted something practical, I wanted skills that I can use. I love it so far, learning the exact things that I hoped and expected to learn, now I feel like I will get everything I am paying for. I got some grants, and doing some work study so it turned out not half bad to be able to do a masters from an ivy for less than 20k while still working almost full time.

I think it is going to pay off for both of us. What's your dream school? What kind of law do you want to study/practice? I aspire to be a top lawyer in internet/cyber law with my own boutique firm 8) show me the money! :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”