Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dany

Diamond

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Post by Dany » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Long Live Jacox wrote:
sarahhope82 wrote:I just e-mailed UCLA, and they said they were doing it next week. Crossing my fingers. Got one for UVA, Duke, Michigan, and Cornell, but so far none of the schools I was planning to apply to anyway. (I have not checked for the hidden NYU waiver - I am paranoid that I will somehow accidently submit the application.)
I too was paranoid about accidentally submitting the application, but after following Eskimo's guide, I learned that there was nothing to be worried about.

I encourage you to look. It's quite nice to find a hidden waiver.
Not gonna lie, I was terrified to check the first time, but it really is impossible to accidentally submit. The Application Fee Payment page is before any submission page (as proof, I've never seen a Submit page and I've looked for waivers at 10+ schools.) You see a page which gives you options to choose from, and you'd have to continue past that page to submit, to a whole different page. That's why I included screenshots in my tutorial, so people wouldn't be nervous to look! :)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=129078

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:13 pm

eskimo wrote:
Long Live Jacox wrote:
sarahhope82 wrote:I just e-mailed UCLA, and they said they were doing it next week. Crossing my fingers. Got one for UVA, Duke, Michigan, and Cornell, but so far none of the schools I was planning to apply to anyway. (I have not checked for the hidden NYU waiver - I am paranoid that I will somehow accidently submit the application.)
I too was paranoid about accidentally submitting the application, but after following Eskimo's guide, I learned that there was nothing to be worried about.

I encourage you to look. It's quite nice to find a hidden waiver.
Not gonna lie, I was terrified to check the first time, but it really is impossible to accidentally submit. The Application Fee Payment page is before any submission page (as proof, I've never seen a Submit page and I've looked for waivers at 10+ schools.) You see a page which gives you options to choose from, and you'd have to continue past that page to submit, to a whole different page. That's why I included screenshots in my tutorial, so people wouldn't be nervous to look! :)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=129078
Okay, I did it, and I have the fee waiver! Thanks for the info.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:24 pm

sarahhope82 wrote:Okay, I did it, and I have the fee waiver! Thanks for the info.
Yay! Congrats on the waiver!

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:03 pm

Having no LSAC GPA is a godsend for my cycle, but it means very few waivers :(. I've only gotten UVA and a handful of lower tiered schools to which I have no interest in applying. It's going to be an expensive month.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Got Wayne State today.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dcwumpus

Bronze

Post by dcwumpus » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:40 pm

I got Wayne State and the hidden NW today as well. I also got... Regent University.

thesybarite

Bronze

Post by thesybarite » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:07 pm

Hey Eskimo just wanted to say thanks for the AWESOME post on hidden fee waivers. Would never have dared. So helpful. :D

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:09 pm

thesybarite wrote:Hey Eskimo just wanted to say thanks for the AWESOME post on hidden fee waivers. Would never have dared. So helpful. :D
No problem; glad it helped!

Wannabelawyer101

New

Post by Wannabelawyer101 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:15 am

I want to echo the thanks to eskimo. Figuring out where I've gotten hidden fee waivers has really helped me narrow down the list of schools I'm going to apply to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:10 pm

UGA today.

Why don't my target schools give waivers? :( Why do some of my target schools give waivers but claim not to?? :cry:

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Just got UGA.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Dear Columbia and Penn,

Northwestern's waiver showed up early this year: follow their lead!

Love,

2010-2011 Applicants

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:20 pm

eskimo wrote:Dear Columbia and Penn,

Love,

2010-2011 Applicants
Just called Columbia - they say they will run their first searches at the end of the month.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:22 pm

trudat15 wrote:

Love,

2010-2011 Applicants
Just called Columbia - they say they will run their first searches at the end of the month.
Whaaaaaaaat? Ugh.

Oh, nevermind: I don't have a PS and at this rate, my LORs should be processed by November. I am just impatient. And I like updating LSN.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:27 pm

eskimo wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

Love,

2010-2011 Applicants
Whaaaaaaaat? Ugh.

Oh, nevermind: I don't have a PS and at this rate, my LORs should be processed by November. I am just impatient. And I like updating LSN.
Does anyone know around what got waivers at Columbia? My LOR won't be in until the end of the month so I can wait it out, but I'm curious...

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:29 pm

dulcatis wrote:
eskimo wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

Love,

2010-2011 Applicants
Whaaaaaaaat? Ugh.

Does anyone know around what got waivers at Columbia? My LOR won't be in until the end of the month so I can wait it out, but I'm curious...
I asked that as well and they said the criteria changes every year. It could be that he just didnt know.

Maury Levy

New

Post by Maury Levy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Finally got a response back from Oregon, who, among other things, asked me to answer:

"2) Why are you requesting a fee waiver? (Please note that applying to many schools does not demonstrate a reason for needing a fee waiver due to financial hardship.)"

Who would have known that a #80 ranked school would've had an ivory tower complex.

I may just respond with: "Because if you don't give me a fee waiver, then I won't even consider applying to your school." After all, it's the truth.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:01 pm

dulcatis wrote:Does anyone know around what got waivers at Columbia? My LOR won't be in until the end of the month so I can wait it out, but I'm curious...
I will do some research later, twin!

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:10 pm

eskimo wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Does anyone know around what got waivers at Columbia? My LOR won't be in until the end of the month so I can wait it out, but I'm curious...
I am sure you will find awesome information! You always manage to find cool/interesting/helpful stuff (& make awesome threads to go with it!) :)

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Just requested waivers from Michigan, Cornell, GULC, and WUSTL. I'm 170/3.4, so I'm not holding my breath- but I'll let you guys know what happens.

(And yeah, I'm stuck working my campus job on a Friday night. Bummer.)

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:55 pm

Maury Levy wrote:Finally got a response back from Oregon, who, among other things, asked me to answer:

"2) Why are you requesting a fee waiver? (Please note that applying to many schools does not demonstrate a reason for needing a fee waiver due to financial hardship.)"

Who would have known that a #80 ranked school would've had an ivory tower complex.

I may just respond with: "Because if you don't give me a fee waiver, then I won't even consider applying to your school." After all, it's the truth.
I got the same reply.

btw - nice avatar

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:00 am

eskimo wrote:
I got Columbia last year with a 3.6 ish and a 172.

ayahara

New

Post by ayahara » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:52 am

I have seen the threads about people getting refunds if they received a fee waiver from a school after they already applied, but does anyone know if you are by and large limited from CRS searches once you have applied to X school?

That is a really phantom question .. I suppose I am just on the fence about waiting to apply to Columbia, UCLA &c. until after they run their searches, or if I should submit this week and be able to enjoy life in a limited fashion before decisions start to go out.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:58 am

ayahara wrote:I have seen the threads about people getting refunds if they received a fee waiver from a school after they already applied, but does anyone know if you are by and large limited from CRS searches once you have applied to X school?

That is a really phantom question .. I suppose I am just on the fence about waiting to apply to Columbia, UCLA &c. until after they run their searches, or if I should submit this week and be able to enjoy life in a limited fashion before decisions start to go out.
That's only some schools. Anyway, it's up to you. I am broke, and I'm not sending out an application unless I know for sure I haven't gotten a fee waiver from that school. Anything submitted before Halloween is still very early, so it's just worth it for me to wait.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:05 pm

eskimo wrote:That's only some schools. Anyway, it's up to you. I am broke, and I'm not sending out an application unless I know for sure I haven't gotten a fee waiver from that school. Anything submitted before Halloween is still very early, so it's just worth it for me to wait.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”