Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JakeL

Bronze

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Post by JakeL » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:50 pm

ZachOda wrote:
JakeL wrote:Just want to mention that I requested info and a waiver to Emory. Let's just say their response does not make me want to apply there. Also curious that they responded a few minutes before 5am EST. Until this point, every other school had at least responded in kind with information as to what I had specifically asked about, despite being unable to grant me a fee waiver.

What'd they say?
Basically, "We only give out waivers through LSDAS, thanks for the email." I replied back stating that I am still interested in responses with respect to my other inquiries, but that was over a week ago, and I've heard nothing else. I actually have a couple legitimate questions that were very school/program specific, and am quite put off by what seems like a strangely operated admissions office. However, I do find it humorous that I get more thoughtful and personalized responses from state schools with a student body of over 40k then a small research university.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Lower LSAT- 163

Cinci, Seton Hall, Richmond, got an email and package from Minn. but don't think there was a fee waiver in it? I'll check later.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Oh yeah and I got a fee waiver by phone from Wake Forest

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:05 pm

also (sorry for the triple post) would it be justifiable for me to ask the 3 schools I applied to last year that WL/dinged me before I retook the LSAT (I got 10 pts higher) because they pretty much already got my money :) and now I am well over their 75 percentiles?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:14 pm

JakeL wrote:
ZachOda wrote:
JakeL wrote:Just want to mention that I requested info and a waiver to Emory. Let's just say their response does not make me want to apply there. Also curious that they responded a few minutes before 5am EST. Until this point, every other school had at least responded in kind with information as to what I had specifically asked about, despite being unable to grant me a fee waiver.

What'd they say?
Basically, "We only give out waivers through LSDAS, thanks for the email." I replied back stating that I am still interested in responses with respect to my other inquiries, but that was over a week ago, and I've heard nothing else. I actually have a couple legitimate questions that were very school/program specific, and am quite put off by what seems like a strangely operated admissions office. However, I do find it humorous that I get more thoughtful and personalized responses from state schools with a student body of over 40k then a small research university.
Maybe they have all of their resources committed to fixing OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Emailed 16 schools today. Got a UVA fee waiver. Most said they either didn't give merit based waivers, would give them out via LSAC (couldn't request them), or said they weren't starting distributing them till september. For example WUSTL, told me I qualified but I had to email back after they begin accepting apps.
Thanks for this - I think I'll definitely wait until the first week of September!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:08 pm

Barbie wrote:Lower LSAT- 163

Cinci, Seton Hall, Richmond, got an email and package from Minn. but don't think there was a fee waiver in it? I'll check later.
Can you clarify this a bit? I got 2 emails, and a brochure in the mail. Did u actually get a package with info, etc-or the brochure?

Also, haven't gotten any emails/flyers in like a week. Feelsbadman.jpg :roll:

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:44 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:

Can you clarify this a bit? I got 2 emails, and a brochure in the mail. Did u actually get a package with info, etc-or the brochure?

Letter, brochure, email. Nothin fancy.

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Barbie wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:

Ok, yeah I got that too. Was wondering if there were different levels of interest. (i.e. email-brochure-package with keys to the Mercedes in it... :wink: )

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:15 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
Barbie wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:

Ok, yeah I got that too. Was wondering if there were different levels of interest. (i.e. email-brochure-package with keys to the Mercedes in it... :wink: )
haha. no. i have it all in a binder at my work (ive been home sick for a few days) but I don't even think tehre was a fee waiver in mine. so I guess there are levels of interest...

okfine

New

Post by okfine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Valparaiso, 8:00 CST, 7/28/2010

174 LSAT.

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:22 pm

Add Valpo to the list
As of now:
U Cincinnati, Seton Hall, U Minnesota, William & Mary, Valparaiso, U Richmond, George Mason

166 LSAT

cdunn

New

Post by cdunn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:38 pm

For me, I've got:

University of Richmond
Mississippi College
St. Thomas
Seton Hall
William and Mary
Valparaiso

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:33 am

Feel like some of these are just on a random lottery shoot... 168, have Virginia as one of my states of interest and nada from William and Mary although I plan on applying.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:37 am

Any chance of getting one after the December test?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:58 am

mpasi wrote:Any chance of getting one after the December test?
I got a few after a previous December test, unfortunately I wasn't going to apply that cycle so they all went to waste :( Schools do hand them out though, and I know some people got a few by emailing schools and asking directly.

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:43 am

Got Valparaiso Law School Fee Waiver

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Brick_Tamlin

New

Post by Brick_Tamlin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:48 am

Valpo waiver - 176 from last September, so maybe some schools will give out waivers to people who took the LSAT last year

lizzylove

New

Post by lizzylove » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:56 am

Canarsie wrote:How are you getting these waivers? Asking the schools, signing up on a mailing list, through LSAC/CRS?
I applied through Lsac and got it. I sent in all the docs they asked for and within two days they told me I was approved. Two free LSATs, Free study guide, 4 free reports, and of course now im more likely to have all my app fees waived. Try it! I didn't think I was going to get it because I kept reading you had to be below the poverty line but I did. Saved over 1,000!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:22 am

Brick_Tamlin wrote:Valpo waiver - 176 from last September, so maybe some schools will give out waivers to people who took the LSAT last year
Really?? 177 from December and I have still received nothing.

dukivich10

Bronze

Post by dukivich10 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:25 am

I got a chapman fee waiver by snail mail yesterday...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:31 am

dabbadon8 wrote:Emailed 16 schools today. Got a UVA fee waiver. Most said they either didn't give merit based waivers, would give them out via LSAC (couldn't request them), or said they weren't starting distributing them till september. For example WUSTL, told me I qualified but I had to email back after they begin accepting apps.

Thanks for the info. Would you mind sharing the list of schools you emailed and some of their responses? I need some info to help restrain myself from sending a bunch of request emails right now...

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:37 am

Oh, and I, too, tried calling LSAC to ask about the fee waivers on my account. The rep was super unhelpful and claimed that she had never heard of such a thing as hidden waivers that don't appear until you submit an app... Grrr.

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:26 am

Dittoing Valp. 177, this June.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Valpo waiver yesterday. Brings it up to 6? or 7? I am forgetting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”