Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
beachbum

Gold

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Post by beachbum » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:42 am

mikey101 wrote:
Dave Davely wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:
atresia wrote: My request got rejected by Emory. Surprising, considering my GPA is >75% and my LSAT is 2 points below the "166 wall."
Don't feel too bad. With Peace Corps (which got me like 15 waivers by itself) and a 3.85/170 Emory still rejected my request for a fee waiver.
Is Emory only giving out a bare handful of fee waivers or what (and if so, to who?)? Despite within a few hours of the school and having very strong numbers by almost any standard, they 100% denied my request for a fee waiver. Emory is the only law school that I plan(ned) on applying to that didn't grant me a fee waiver.

Does anyone know what's up with Emory's fee waiver policy?
Emory was really weird. They responded to my request by asking me for documentation of my LSAT score and a pdf of my transcript with my GPA. Haven't heard back since they requested that. My numbers aren't super impressive either: 167/3.8.
If I've learned anything from the past few months, it's that Emory doesn't have any idea what it's doing. With anything.

wwaideli

New

Post by wwaideli » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:43 am

I got Emory with a 3.4 167, but I'm not applying (don't really want to end up in Atlanta). But I didn't get Washington which everyone else seemed to get with similar numbers to me. Maybe they play a little bit of a regional game trying to pull people who don't live close to the school.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:50 am

emory said no based off my previous score, then sent me an LSAT fee waiver BEFORE my October score was released.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:14 am

Emory is loopy. Maybe they need the 70 bucks?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 am

no they're pretty waiver happy. i don't know what they think, but i definitely think they don't like being hounded asking for fee waivers which is weird, because they are supposedly very kind with giving out scholarship $.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:41 am

If they really are giving out a lot of waivers, it seems there is no logic to who gets them and who doesn't. Has anybody figured out their criteria?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:59 am

over their LSAT median, good UG?

lookingglass3

New

Post by lookingglass3 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:57 am

I gotten many I don't plan on using cause I am an URM. Those that I will probably use off the top of my head are USC, BU, UCLA, Northwestern, Duke (with priority track), UVA, NYU (via snail mail), and Chicago. I have gotten several e-mails from Historically black and hispanic schools. The best was FAMU. Their e-mail probably took 4 minutes and didn't even include a fee waiver. Or Alabama for their 20 free songs on Itunes offer. I'm still waiting/hoping for Michigan, UPenn, and Columbia.

PS. How do you check for hidden? Do you have to fill out the whole application?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:45 am

I just wanted to give some respect to NYU for not including a massive viewbook in their mailing. The viewbooks are online, and we don't care anyways. Stop wasting money and paper.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:25 am

ahduth wrote:I just wanted to give some respect to NYU for not including a massive viewbook in their mailing. The viewbooks are online, and we don't care anyways. Stop wasting money and paper.

Plus nyu was the only viewbook I've seen that was proud to have been printed on post consumer paper with vegetable ink. So plus one in my view for less waste :)

lyman03

New

Post by lyman03 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:37 am

Has anyone received a fee waiver from Ohio State yet? Snail mail or email or hidden?

willyj

New

Post by willyj » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:19 am

Yeah, I got Ohio State by snail mail, but I couldn't tell you when it came through, being that it went to my parents' house, and the only reason I know about it is because I finally took my semi-annual visit there last weekend. My mother, the Michigan grad, came very close to throwing it away, it would seem.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:24 am

I got one after the Feb test in the spring, but not since then.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:40 am

Just got a fee waiver and scholarship offer from Charlotte School of Law. Never heard of it before today but after a little research I must say I am not impressed.

These last few weeks have really opened my eyes to the number of substandard law schools out there. I wonder how many people see that scholarship offer in their inbox and think they've hit the jackpot, not realizing what they're getting into. Scary stuff.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:40 pm

i got the scholarship too! wow 15k total to go to an unaccredited for profit. that is totally an amazing situation. i'd much rather take charlotte's 15k total than a better ranked school's 100k. do they really think they'll get anyone with decent #'s? why do they even try?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:42 pm

justadude55 wrote:i got the scholarship too! wow 15k total to go to an unaccredited for profit. that is totally an amazing situation. i'd much rather take charlotte's 15k total than a better ranked school's 100k. do they really think they'll get anyone with decent #'s? why do they even try?
You only got 15k huh? :wink:

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:40 pm

vegenator wrote: Plus nyu was the only viewbook I've seen that was proud to have been printed on post consumer paper with vegetable ink. So plus one in my view for less waste :)
USC's little study abroad pamphlet says "Mixed sources: product group from well-managed forests and other controlled sources." I don't know what that means...diversity in paper?! :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Has anyone had success requesting a fee waiver from Cornell? Want to share how you were able to snag one? I got passed up for a waiver in their CRS search while others with my numbers got them (maybe they were averaging LSATs rather than taking highest??).

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:i got the scholarship too! wow 15k total to go to an unaccredited for profit. that is totally an amazing situation. i'd much rather take charlotte's 15k total than a better ranked school's 100k. do they really think they'll get anyone with decent #'s? why do they even try?
Don't brag lol. I got a little more that that but whatever. This school is completely irrelevant. I agree, why do they even try?

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:44 pm

Just to add to the list for reference: fee Waivers started coming in mid-October for me. I took the LSAT in December of 2009, but put off applying for a year. Updated my CRS the last week of September (I believe). Fee waivers that have come in so far - in no particular order, except CA schools in front:

University of the Pacific - McGeorge
Santa Clara
Whittier
Thomas Jefferson
Southwestern
Western State
Cal Western
Texas Wesleyan
University of Kentucky
University of Iowa
University of Tennessee
Penn State University
Samford University
University of South Carolina
University of Mississippi
Marquette University
University of Dayton
Campbell University
Case Western Reserve

I asked for a fee waiver and Chapman and UNM, and they both turned me down, saying they only granted need-based fee waivers off of the LSAC site.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:06 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Don't brag lol. I got a little more that that but whatever. This school is completely irrelevant. I agree, why do they even try?
Do they have a committee sitting around trying to figure out what to offer? "Okay, this guy has a 174. He's gonna be a little tougher to woo to Charlotte School of Law... give him $17,000!"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:26 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Do they have a committee sitting around trying to figure out what to offer? "Okay, this guy has a 174. He's gonna be a little tougher to woo to Charlotte School of Law... give him $17,000!"
Ouija board?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Cool, real cool. Charlotte School of Law, another prestigious institution of legal education here who doesn't seem to think I exist.

I should email them saying I'll underbid you guys. "14k and I'm totally in. Let's get this thing done."

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:07 pm

ahduth wrote:Cool, real cool. Charlotte School of Law, another prestigious institution of legal education here who doesn't seem to think I exist.

I should email them saying I'll underbid you guys. "14k and I'm totally in. Let's get this thing done."
Don't sell yourself out. They were offering 22K as well. Save money + unaccredited degree (not including UCi) = profit :)

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:09 pm

ahduth wrote:Cool, real cool. Charlotte School of Law, another prestigious institution of legal education here who doesn't seem to think I exist.

*pat pat*
There's always that Columbia waiver, lol. :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”