Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Deuce

Silver

Re: Application Fee Waivers - Fall 2011 Applicants

Post by Deuce » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Woohoo LSAC fee waiver, is it true some schools will waive if you are approved by LSAC?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:26 pm

pu_golf88 wrote:I finally went home and saw the packets from Seton Hall and Tennessee. I would have never considered Seton Hall, but in their packet it said I was qualified for 15,000 to a full ride to start this Fall. I'm assuming it would be about the same if I apply for next fall and a full ride wouldn't be so bad.
I really have no idea how these schools go about recruitment. I live in TN and so far have never received as much as a postcard from either state school. Its weird.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Ildeuce wrote:Woohoo LSAC fee waiver, is it true some schools will waive if you are approved by LSAC?
Yeah, a lot of law schools will give you a need-based waiver if you have an LSAC waiver.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:18 pm

zworykin wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
Rudy wrote:
trudat15 wrote:I have a 174 (retake from a 164) and emailed Georgetown asking for a fee waiver, as I saw others on the forum have gotten them (some based on lower LSATs as I know Georgetown takes highest) and heard back today that I dont qualify for a merit based fee waiver. And I actually went to Georgetown undergrad! Too bad as I really wanted to and probably will still apply there.
Is your GPA bad? Its either that, or the trend I noticed before is true in fact indicative of their policy, that being only to give fee waivers to URM's with good hards.
Not fantastic, but not like horrible. 3.45. I figured with my score and gpa, it makes me very competitive for their school, add to the fact that I went there for undergrad, I thought getting a fee waiver would be a formality. I guess I was wrong. Maybe you're right and they are just going to URMs with good numbers.
3.66/176/non-URM and I got one. :shrug: They must just work in mysterious ways.
Your numbers are better than mine. Maybe I just missed the GPA cutoff or something.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:19 pm

eskimo wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
Rudy wrote:
trudat15 wrote:I have a 174 (retake from a 164) and emailed Georgetown asking for a fee waiver, as I saw others on the forum have gotten them (some based on lower LSATs as I know Georgetown takes highest) and heard back today that I dont qualify for a merit based fee waiver. And I actually went to Georgetown undergrad! Too bad as I really wanted to and probably will still apply there.
Is your GPA bad? Its either that, or the trend I noticed before is true in fact indicative of their policy, that being only to give fee waivers to URM's with good hards.
Not fantastic, but not like horrible. 3.45. I figured with my score and gpa, it makes me very competitive for their school, add to the fact that I went there for undergrad, I thought getting a fee waiver would be a formality. I guess I was wrong. Maybe you're right and they are just going to URMs with good numbers.
Or they might have been able to tell you'd apply anyway. If it were me, I wouldn't give up the $80-$90 (or however much the application fee is) that I could get from an applicant since they'd probably apply regardless.

Not that I don't empathize, though, that does suck. They probably just saw Gtown undergrad + good numbers = application whether we give him a fee waiver or not.
Could be true too. I did have them pretty high on my list of where to apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Got another email from Charlotte Law School today reminding me of my fee waiver and reminding me that I could still get a scholarship. They asked if I was planning on enrolling in the Spring instead.

Can someone confirm if this is a mass email? :?

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:14 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Got another email from Charlotte Law School today reminding me of my fee waiver and reminding me that I could still get a scholarship. They asked if I was planning on enrolling in the Spring instead.

I got it. 22k scholly if i apply by july 29 i believe the email stated.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:22 pm

lsathelp wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Got another email from Charlotte Law School today reminding me of my fee waiver and reminding me that I could still get a scholarship. They asked if I was planning on enrolling in the Spring instead.

Yup. Same thing

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:28 pm

lsathelp wrote:

I got the same e-mail but it was only for $19K

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zworykin

Bronze

Post by zworykin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:23 pm

gokickrocks wrote:
lsathelp wrote:

I got the same e-mail but it was only for $19K
Man, they're only offering me 17! Hahaha...

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:06 am

Got another thomas cooley flyer today.

And got a flyer from Duncan (no idea) with fee waiver.

JohnBoy

Bronze

Post by JohnBoy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm not sure about Georgetown either....I got a waiver with a 170/3.69.

starlight007

New

Post by starlight007 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Not a fee waiver but a Columbia email about an August informational session. I just need to score a miracle on the LSAT to even consider applying there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itseightfortyfive

New

Post by itseightfortyfive » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:42 pm

As far as the Minnesota fee waiver, double check that email. I got an email on 7/7 from them but it did not include a fee waiver.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:47 pm

itseightfortyfive wrote:As far as the Minnesota fee waiver, double check that email. I got an email on 7/7 from them but it did not include a fee waiver.
Mine was also 7/7, with the subject being University of Minnesota Law School Application Fee Waiver and a bolded section saying this e-mail is a fee waiver. Guessing they sent both an informational and fee waiver e-mail based on the following system:

1. Student's LSAT & GPA
2. ?????
3. Profit.

itseightfortyfive

New

Post by itseightfortyfive » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
itseightfortyfive wrote:As far as the Minnesota fee waiver, double check that email. I got an email on 7/7 from them but it did not include a fee waiver.
Mine was also 7/7, with the subject being University of Minnesota Law School Application Fee Waiver and a bolded section saying this e-mail is a fee waiver. Guessing they sent both an informational and fee waiver e-mail based on the following system:

1. Student's LSAT & GPA
2. ?????
3. Profit.

Well i dont have my GPA posed but my lsat was 165 which is higher than some others who have recieved fee waivers. Maybe it is bc i dont have my GPA posted yet.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:17 pm

itseightfortyfive wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

1. Student's LSAT & GPA
2. ?????
3. Profit.

Well i dont have my GPA posed but my lsat was 165 which is higher than some others who have recieved fee waivers. Maybe it is bc i dont have my GPA posted yet.
I had my LSAT/GPA both on file (165/over 3.75 category) but didn't get a waiver :( Maybe because I didn't have Minnesota listed as one of my states of interest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:34 pm

msch0i wrote:
itseightfortyfive wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

1. Student's LSAT & GPA
2. ?????
3. Profit.

I had my LSAT/GPA both on file (165/over 3.75 category) but didn't get a waiver :( Maybe because I didn't have Minnesota listed as one of my states of interest.
Trust me, me neither. I'm a die hard Packers fan.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:47 pm

msch0i wrote:
itseightfortyfive wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

1. Student's LSAT & GPA
2. ?????
3. Profit.

Minnesota is not listed as a state of interest for me...I somehow got a fee waiver from them (received two emails) - the first was the fee waiver and I don't remember what the second one was about...

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:57 pm

I did email them back expressing interest, though. They sent me a fee waiver application. Does that count? :lol: Does anyone know what that means? It doesn't say it's guaranteed or anything, it just directs me to mail them the fee waiver application after I apply on LSAC.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:24 am

Fee waivers I would like to see in my inbox/mailbox in the coming months:

Penn
Duke
UCLA
Cornell
Michigan
WUSTL
GW
UVA
UT

plz and thnx

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yoitsmebenny

Bronze

Post by yoitsmebenny » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:21 am

Ildeuce wrote:
msch0i wrote:
itseightfortyfive wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

This is a guy I can support. Born and raised in Green Bay right here.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:23 am

yoitsmebenny wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
msch0i wrote:
itseightfortyfive wrote:
You must be immune to the cold.

yoitsmebenny

Bronze

Post by yoitsmebenny » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:26 am

Knockglock wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
msch0i wrote: Trust me, me neither. I'm a die hard Packers fan.
You must be immune to the cold.
Cold? What cold? I run every day, and I don't put a shirt on until the first snowfall every year.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:27 am

you can add 171 to George Mason and Charlotte...still no GTown :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”