How to get a ~4.0 with a healthy social life in undergrad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KingJames6

New

Re: How to get a ~4.0 with a healthy social life in undergrad?

Post by KingJames6 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:24 am

just do all your assignments and start papers before the day they are due. don't go out the week/weekend before finals.

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:45 am

There are multiple routes to a high GPA with lots of free time. My roommate and I both graduated with 3.9+ GPAs, and we had polar opposite work habits. She did all of her assignments as they were given to her and studied a little each day so when exams came around she only had to review a bit. She was always ahead of her work and had time to go out nearly every evening and had a good deal of her weekends free. I was a procrastinator and never started anything earlier than the day before it was due and didn't do any reading unless I was sure it would end up on a test/paper. This calls for a few all-nighters here and there, but I usually did 0 work on the weekends and I did very little work during the week outside of midterms and finals week.

Some common denominators between us:
1. Relied heavily on ratemyprofessor.com
2. Were friends with other people who cared about their GPAs.
3. Above average intelligence, at least compared to other students at our UG.
4. Social science majors

Another tip I would suggest is finding out early on whether you prefer essay tests or MC tests and gearing your class selections based on that. I looked for classes where there were 3 exams rather than just a midterm and a final so in case I didn't do well on one exam I wasn't locked out of an A. I also would be very open to changing my schedule around the first week of classes in case I sat in a class and realized that the teaching and grading style of the professor didn't fit well with me. Final piece of advise: Take midterm and finals week seriously. People tend to party the hardest around those times but two weeks of skipping parties and studying hard during the whole semester is not going to kill you.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:32 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:There are multiple routes to a high GPA with lots of free time. My roommate and I both graduated with 3.9+ GPAs, and we had polar opposite work habits. She did all of her assignments as they were given to her and studied a little each day so when exams came around she only had to review a bit. She was always ahead of her work and had time to go out nearly every evening and had a good deal of her weekends free. I was a procrastinator and never started anything earlier than the day before it was due and didn't do any reading unless I was sure it would end up on a test/paper. This calls for a few all-nighters here and there, but I usually did 0 work on the weekends and I did very little work during the week outside of midterms and finals week.

Some common denominators between us:
1. Relied heavily on ratemyprofessor.com
2. Were friends with other people who cared about their GPAs.
3. Above average intelligence, at least compared to other students at our UG.
4. Social science majors

Another tip I would suggest is finding out early on whether you prefer essay tests or MC tests and gearing your class selections based on that. I looked for classes where there were 3 exams rather than just a midterm and a final so in case I didn't do well on one exam I wasn't locked out of an A. I also would be very open to changing my schedule around the first week of classes in case I sat in a class and realized that the teaching and grading style of the professor didn't fit well with me. Final piece of advise: Take midterm and finals week seriously. People tend to party the hardest around those times but two weeks of skipping parties and studying hard during the whole semester is not going to kill you.
The best advice I can give is to want it. I know that sounds ridiculously simple, but it is profoundly true. If you set that goal and work your ass off for it, you'll accomplish it. It's college, so the social life will be there regardless. Just work hard and even if you don't get a 4.0, if you are really committed to your school work, you will do well.

Also, become friendly with the professors. The effect of this is three-fold. First, you'll be one of the few who do that and they will like you and be more predisposed to give you better grades. Second, you'll get to know what they want to see from you and be able to fulfill and exceed their expectations. Third, recommendations and connections. So do that.

Lastly, it's college. Have fun. If you're asking the question about getting a 4.0 and are committed to working hard, you will do well regardless of whether or not you have a social life. The important thing is balance. Go out. Have fun. Enjoy it because we all know it goes by too damn fast. And just make sure you balance the goal of a 4.0 with the mindset that you need to enjoy it.

That is all.

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:39 pm

username99 wrote:The best advice I can give is to want it.
This is very true as well. You have to go into every class with the mindset that you can and will walk away with an A.

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 pm

It's all about the people you surround yourself with. Surround yourself with people who take school seriously but also like to party. They'll respect you when you say you have three tests the next day, but they'll be there for you when that tests are done to drink and have a good time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Do a shitload of adderall all the time.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:56 pm

truffleshuffle wrote:It's not the material that's challenging, it's the discipline.

Treat school like a job and you can get A's and have plenty of time for fun.
TCR.. college isnt hard, you just have to set a work schedule and stick to it. Frosh year never studied, partied 4-5 times a week, went to maybe 70% of my classes.. ~2.7 gpa. Soph/Junior year cut the partying back to 2 days a week, went to 99% of classes and set a study schedule.. 4.0+ gpa. Econ major, Bio minor... those 4.0s include As in cell bio, organic chem, game theory, econometrics and plant systematics among others

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Time management. It's entirely time management. In my undergrad major Electrical Engineering, even the big gunners were only only working 80 hours with class included. That leaves plenty of time if you plan your shit out.

Never waste an hour just doing nothing. Cut out timewasters like video games, mindless TV (if you have favorite shows, record or download them and watch on your schedule), internet.

Or do Poli Sci. Those guys were stoned 6-7 days a week. Just read the materials, do the homework and studying early.

vale1rd

New

Post by vale1rd » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:04 pm

I put more emphasis on the material that I had/wanted to learn (i.e. major/minor) and then just memorized and forgot all the useless classes my university makes me take. I think I have a 4.0 in my major/minor classes, but those damn classes that I hate and are required to take brings my overall to a 3.7

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Time management. It's entirely time management. In my undergrad major Electrical Engineering, even the big gunners were only only working 80 hours with class included. That leaves plenty of time if you plan your shit out.

Never waste an hour just doing nothing. Cut out timewasters like video games, mindless TV (if you have favorite shows, record or download them and watch on your schedule), internet.

Or do Poli Sci. Those guys were stoned 6-7 days a week. Just read the materials, do the homework and studying early.
DF had a great GPA. Heed his advice.

Or do Poli Sci. Easiest. Major. Ever.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:02 pm

Don't procrastinate, do the work first. Then play. Many people lose points and drop grades because they don't allot enough time to study/finish work. If you do school work first, you won't have that problem. Even 20-year career veterans have problem accurately estimate time needed to complete work, why would college students do better? There is plenty of time for social life, you just have to prioritize. There is PLENTY of time to take on max credits, have a social life (and squeeze time for work too), I know.

I went to school in China before coming here, I was beaten into the habit of doing my 2-3 hours of homework every night before doing ANYTHING else... Since first grade. American schools don't teach proper work ethic, and you have to overcome that to establish better habits.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Time management. It's entirely time management. In my undergrad major Electrical Engineering, even the big gunners were only only working 80 hours with class included. That leaves plenty of time if you plan your shit out.

DF had a great GPA. Heed his advice.

Or do Poli Sci. Easiest. Major. Ever.
I'm the case study in how to fail. I did the opposite of this. Procrastinated. Played shitty video games, watched reruns.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Don't work...actually, work in the summer time, but not during school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Get a girlfriend. If you aren't devoting every waking hour to chasing ass, you'll do well in school.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:50 pm

billyez wrote:Don't work...actually, work in the summer time, but not during school.
if you can't work and study at the same time ... you need to reexamine how you study. I worked 30 hours while taking 24 credits and my son was just born. No it isn't easy but it is managable. Oh and I lived 1 hour away from school so I drove 2 hours everyday. It was actually plenty of time to get some social time in on the weekends.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:03 pm

I can't believe people had to actually put this much effort into getting good grades in undergrad. I guess I really am a special snowflake! :D

I put in very minimal effort and had a 3.8, and it could have been higher with just a small bit more effort. I think the combination of 1) easy majors and 2) a natural ability for working under pressure (aka procrastinating until the last minute but still producing A-quality work) was what did it for me.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:12 pm

I'm sure that I'll be in the minority here, but I recommend against seeking out easy classes and majoring in easy majors. Let me explain.

I understand that the OP is asking just about gpa and social life; and not about the bigger question about how to do undergrad. But even asking the question of the thread title makes an unwarranted presupposition.

First, a 4.0 and a 151 won't get you in anywhere worth attending. So cultivating one's reading and reasoning skills is super-important. To do this, you must take harder classes. Second, 1Ls are assigned classes and these classes are graded on a curve. So, one who takes as often as possible only easy classes will not be ready for this kind of rigor. Graduating even remotely close to the bottom of the class from pretty much all law schools will leave you unemployed.

Well, I just thought that I'd say what was one my mind about the fault behind the sort of question that the OP is asking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:15 pm

sumus romani wrote:I'm sure that I'll be in the minority here, but I recommend against seeking out easy classes and majoring in easy majors. Let me explain.

I understand that the OP is asking just about gpa and social life; and not about the bigger question about how to do undergrad. But even asking the question of the thread title makes an unwarranted presupposition.

First, a 4.0 and a 151 won't get you in anywhere worth attending. So cultivating one's reading and reasoning skills is super-important. To do this, you must take harder classes. Second, 1Ls are assigned classes and these classes are graded on a curve. So, one who takes as often as possible only easy classes will not be ready for this kind of rigor. Graduating even remotely close to the bottom of the class from pretty much all law schools will leave you unemployed.

Well, I just thought that I'd say what was one my mind about the fault behind the sort of question that the OP is asking.
Taking harder classes won't really impact your reasoning skills, or reading skills in any measurable way. Making hard classes might impact your work ethic, but I don't it's worth the GPA hit.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:a natural ability for working under pressure (aka procrastinating until the last minute but still producing A-quality work) was what did it for me.
This was my forte. All-nighters were the norm for me. But only because I had procrastinated a lot.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 pm

3.98...lsdas 3.95...
study and office hours. it's not THAT hard. You just have to care...

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:a natural ability for working under pressure (aka procrastinating until the last minute but still producing A-quality work) was what did it for me.
This was my forte. All-nighters were the norm for me. But only because I had procrastinated a lot.
me too...getting better tough

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Pick a major you like. You'll never drag yourself to class with a hangover to listen to an accounting professor. Also, learn to say no on occassion. Every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday does not need to end at a frat house.

But by far the best advice - start drinking earlier. I'm on the Rugby team, so we drink every Saturday after our games, socials begin at 4 pm. So I'm usually in bed by 10 and get plenty of rest. Of course others on the team party through the night, but they don't have my GPA now do they? =D

-3.96 Econ/Poli Sci double at a party school (private).

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm

I did it. Lib arts majors you're naturally good with to begin with are key.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:39 pm

Thirteen wrote:Get a girlfriend. If you aren't devoting every waking hour to chasing ass, you'll do well in school.
A 4.0 is not worth this.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:41 pm

go to cornell, major in ILR.

alternatively, find out if your school publishes median grade reports.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”