Anyone else concerned about IBR being cut?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
honestabe84

Anyone else concerned about IBR being cut?

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:16 pm

For those of you that don't live on the moon, I'm sure well aware that we are drowning in debt right now. There's just a matter of time before certain government programs will be cut. I'm concerned that IBR will be the first to go, because the only people who will complain are students. What are all of your thoughts on this? Because I want to go into PI, I was planning on taking on more debt for a better school, but now I'm thinking that's a very risky decision.

Edit: Please save the politics for another thread. I just want your thought on whether or not we can expect this program to last.

General Tso

Re: Anyone else concerned about IBR being cut?

Postby General Tso » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:20 pm

honestabe84 wrote:For those of you that don't live on the moon, I'm sure well aware that we are drowning in debt right now. There's just a matter of time before certain government programs will be cut. I'm concerned that IBR will be the first to go, because the only people who will complain are students. What are all of your thoughts on this? Because I want to go into PI, I was planning on taking on more debt for a better school, but now I'm thinking that's a very risky decision.

Edit: Please save the politics for another thread. I just want your thought on whether or not we can expect this program to last.

how could anyone possibly know, or even make an educated guess? the dems have shown a decent level of commitment to students...if Palin or the teabaggers take over, probably not so much.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:23 pm

General Tso wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:For those of you that don't live on the moon, I'm sure well aware that we are drowning in debt right now. There's just a matter of time before certain government programs will be cut. I'm concerned that IBR will be the first to go, because the only people who will complain are students. What are all of your thoughts on this? Because I want to go into PI, I was planning on taking on more debt for a better school, but now I'm thinking that's a very risky decision.

how could anyone possibly know, or even make an educated guess? the dems have shown a decent level of commitment to students...if Palin or the teabaggers take over, probably not so much.

First of all, my question is whether or not everyone is concerned about this. Incidentally, I'd also like to know if it's influencing their decision.

Second, did you not even read my request not to post anything about politics. Damn do I hate people who argue politics online with perfect strangers.

Pennoyerrox

Postby Pennoyerrox » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:27 pm

Last edited by Pennoyerrox on Fri May 13, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Pennoyerrox wrote:Well, I really don't see how you can divorce the politics from it. It does depend to a great extent on who is in the White House / Congress.

Yes, that's no problem.

I'm talking about when people say things like "when the naive idealist left bankrupts the country, then then their will be no money left," or "if the teabagging right get in there, they will cut every program." All these types of comments do is get a bunch of nerds in an internet fight.

I guess what I'm mainly looking for is whether or not, from a historical standpoint, this type of program will likely be cut.
Last edited by honestabe84 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 pm

I'm pretty sure it will be cut because we will have no other choice, tax and spend leftist Democrats have pretty much bankrupted this country. Have you seen the deficit?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:34 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:I'm pretty sure it will be cut because we will have no other choice, tax and spend leftist Democrats have pretty much bankrupted this country. Have you seen the deficit?

sigh, you are a misguided idiot who doesn't understand macroeconomics. IBR will be fine unless Palin and the teabagging morons get elected, they will cut everything and plunge this country into depression.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Having fun there all by yourself?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 pm

sumus romani wrote:Having fun there all by yourself?

If you aren't going to contribute in a positive way to this discussion, I see no reason for you to post.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

If you aren't going to contribute in a positive way to this discussion, I see no reason for you to post.

+1

Pennoyerrox

Postby Pennoyerrox » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:38 pm

Last edited by Pennoyerrox on Fri May 13, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:41 pm

My plan is not to rely on IBR. Then again, it's probably not gonna go away; it seems like a fairly politically untouchable program. No one wants to be perceived as cutting education.

Then again, if it were to get cut and people had to actually pay what the owe or were able to discharge these debts in bankruptcy, tuition might go down.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:43 pm

WELL I for one am I libertarian. You may heard of us, we love freedom and justice and capitalism. We basically defend all that is sacred in the world and demand mini government with private road construction, defense, and trash collection. Sometimes people tell me about this book called Anarchy, State, and Utopia like it is relevant to what I'm saying but I'm skeptical. In the 11th grade I covered Adam Smith and that is all that is important, I'm plenty informed. Also, I don't like taxes (am I right ladies)!

In conclusion, IBR and Obamacare and the government should end.

/thread

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:45 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:WELL I for one am I libertarian. You may heard of us, we love freedom and justice and capitalism. We basically defend all that is sacred in the world and demand mini government with private road construction, defense, and trash collection. Sometimes people tell me about this book called Anarchy, State, and Utopia like it is relevant to what I'm saying but I'm skeptical. In the 11th grade I covered Adam Smith and that is all that is important, I'm plenty informed. Also, I don't like taxes (am I right ladies)!

/thread

See that's the problem with these corporate hacks. They don't understand the trees or Gaia or how IBR relates to this. People call me an ideologue, but mostly I just wear things made of hemp. I think the government is run by corporations, which it clearly is, and that this should end and IBR should stay! I also..

Posted from mobile phone in Toronto...Signal lost June 28th 9:45:51 P.M.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:46 pm

rad law wrote:My plan is not to rely on IBR. Then again, it's probably not gonna go away; it seems like a fairly politically untouchable program. No one wants to be perceived as cutting education.

Then again, if it were to get cut and people had to actually pay what the owe or were able to discharge these debts in bankruptcy, tuition might go down.

My only concern is that it might somehow get a bad rap, and then get cut. E.g. it subsidizes kids to go party at school no matter the cost, etc.

Ok, now, back to what I really think: No one can deny the perverse incentive it creates. I cannot tell you the number of people I have seen on this site who say that they don't care how much tuition is because they'll just use the program. There have been threads dedicated to it. I can definitely see it getting cut, but I sure hope it does not happen.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:46 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:WELL I for one am I libertarian. You may heard of us, we love freedom and justice and capitalism. We basically defend all that is sacred in the world and demand mini government with private road construction, defense, and trash collection. Sometimes people tell me about this book called Anarchy, State, and Utopia like it is relevant to what I'm saying but I'm skeptical. In the 11th grade I covered Adam Smith and that is all that is important, I'm plenty informed. Also, I don't like taxes (am I right ladies)!

/thread

See that's the problem with these corporate hacks. They don't understand the trees or Gaia or how IBR relates to this. People call me an ideologue, but mostly I just wear things made of hemp. I think the government is run by corporations, which it clearly is, and that this should end and IBR should stay! I also..

Wow joeshmo. You're so original and entertaining. I give you a cyber pat on the back.
Last edited by honestabe84 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:47 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

+1

So that's how you get over 9,000 posts! :lol:

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:48 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:

/thread

Yeah I dunno what that guys doing. Gettin' us off topic is all I know.
Last edited by joeshmo39 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acadec

Postby acadec » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:52 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

+1

I laughed for like ten minutes. Holy shit. You might be the funniest person ever.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:12 pm

Does anyone know what happens if you graduate, qualify for IBR, and then the government gets rid of the program? Are you just SOL, or is their some kind of agreement that states that once you're on it, you won't be cut off?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:21 pm

honestabe84 wrote:Does anyone know what happens if you graduate, qualify for IBR, and then the government gets rid of the program? Are you just SOL, or is their some kind of agreement that states that once you're on it, you won't be cut off?

depends on whether President Palin likes you or not

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:24 pm

I'm not at all worried about it. If they cut it, I would imagine current students would be grandfathered in.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:28 pm

rad law wrote:Then again, if it were to get cut and people had to actually pay what the owe or were able to discharge these debts in bankruptcy, tuition might go down.

I doubt it. The only way tuition is going to go down is if loans are actually underwritten instead of a blank check being given to anyone with a law school acceptance. That or the government nationalizing law schools and forcing them to lower tuition.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:33 pm

General Tso wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:Does anyone know what happens if you graduate, qualify for IBR, and then the government gets rid of the program? Are you just SOL, or is their some kind of agreement that states that once you're on it, you won't be cut off?

depends on whether President Palin likes you or not

You're one of those people whose life revolves around Palin isn't it? You have 15 posts in which you directly reference Palin, or entered a discussion about her.

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:17 am

Stringer Bell wrote:I'm not at all worried about it. If they cut it, I would imagine current students would be grandfathered in.

This.

The program may be cut in the future, but I don't think it is likely that any existing loans would be impacted.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”