Does LSAC factor in UG school/average GPA at your school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ilovemulch

Bronze

Does LSAC factor in UG school/average GPA at your school?

Post by ilovemulch » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:35 pm

I've heard different things about this. Does LSAT bump up your GPA if you went to an UG school that's non HYP Ivy or known to be a "hard" school? Also, I've heard they may bump it up a little if your GPA is above the average GPA at your college. Is this the average GPA of your whole school, or the school/department within your university? Is this even true?

I calculated my LSDAS GPA using lawschoolpredictor.com and it came out exactly the same as my transcript GPA - how accurate is this website?

If anyone knows the answers to any of these Q's, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks!

Gold

Re: Does LSAC factor in UG school/average GPA at your school?

Post by 094320 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:51 pm

ilovemulch

Bronze

Post by ilovemulch » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:56 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
ilovemulch wrote:I've heard different things about this. Does LSAT bump up your GPA if you went to an UG school that's non HYP Ivy or known to be a "hard" school? Also, I've heard they may bump it up a little if your GPA is above the average GPA at your college. Is this the average GPA of your whole school, or the school/department within your university? Is this even true?

I calculated my LSDAS GPA using lawschoolpredictor.com and it came out exactly the same as my transcript GPA - how accurate is this website?

Thanks!
There isn't a lot of evidence that they bump ppl for going to non HYP Ivy's or "hard" schools. Like, maybe maybe maybe it helps you in a very small way, but in that case, it's not small enough for you to calculate into your school targeting decisions. I haven't heard about them bumping it up if it's above the GPA of your college--they wouldn't know your dept. GPA, only your school. Unless you have multiple transcripts or your school calculates GPA differently(for ex, a lot of universities have 3.7's which get converted to 3.67 by LSDAS), then there's no reason for it to be any different.
Thanks for your input. I actually read it on an old thread on this website that lsac bumps your GPA a little bit if your GPA is above the school average. I guess I'm trying to boost my confidence since I feel iffy about my 3.69 GPA. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to apply ED to NYU (171 LSAT, just took it once)...not sure how much of a boost I'll get from ED as opposed to just getting in my app really early.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:01 pm

ilovemulch wrote:I've heard different things about this. Does LSAT bump up your GPA if you went to an UG school that's non HYP Ivy or known to be a "hard" school? Also, I've heard they may bump it up a little if your GPA is above the average GPA at your college. Is this the average GPA of your whole school, or the school/department within your university? Is this even true?

Thanks!

You seem to have some misconceptions about how the application process works. LSAC, through the LSDAS, compiles the transcripts you send them, and then uses a formula for determining GPA. There may be some slight variations from your college's gpa for you, and LSAC's gpa for you. Lawschoolpredictor uses the LSDAS formula, so you should be in good shape. On your LSDAS report to law schools, they do list your undergrad school's average gpa overall. I'd be surprised if they (law schools) even looked at this number. Unless you are at a service academy (west point, etc) or something, this just won't make a difference.

An entirely separate issue is how law schools treat an applicant's gpa. Law Schools claim to use a holistic approach, and thus take into account major, difficulty of school, etc. However, by and large, you will be evaluated based on the gpa that LSAC assigns to you. You get only very slight bumps due to major, or school, etc. By and large, this will not affect your application cycle.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:12 pm

As for whether you should ED at NYU, you really need to think long and hard on this. You are not a bad candidate for regular admissions. Not great, but by no means are your prospects terrible. The key is that you are at their median LSAT score. Are you willing to pay sticker? Because you most certainly are going to have to if you ED to NYU and get in. You have good numbers and might get a nice scholarship in the lower T14. It's a tough call all around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovemulch

Bronze

Post by ilovemulch » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 pm

sumus romani wrote:As for whether you should ED at NYU, you really need to think long and hard on this. You are not a bad candidate for regular admissions. Not great, but by no means are your prospects terrible. The key is that you are at their median LSAT score. Are you willing to pay sticker? Because you most certainly are going to have to if you ED to NYU and get in. You have good numbers and might get a nice scholarship in the lower T14. It's a tough call all around.
yep, I know, lol. Thank you for all of your input - I really appreciate it. One more thing, do you (or anyone reading this) have any idea how much applying ED actually improves your chances vs. applying early in the cycle but no ED? (It's not like NYU needs to worry about YP with me!)

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:44 pm

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks!
LSAC won't bump your grades based on your school's rank, but the schools you apply to will definitely take in to account your undergraduate school and the rigor of your major.

digitalcntrl

Bronze

Post by digitalcntrl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:17 am

artichoke88 wrote:

Thanks!
LSAC won't bump your grades based on your school's rank, but the schools you apply to will definitely take in to account your undergraduate school and the rigor of your major.
Half right, LSAC won't bump your grades, however, unless you are going to an elite law school (T14?) they don't care about your UG institution or the difficulty of your major. All non-elite schools are looking to game the UNSWR rankings so all they care about is your GPA and LSAT score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:18 am

:P
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:21 am

artichoke88 wrote:

Thanks!
LSAC won't bump your grades based on your school's rank, but the schools you apply to will definitely almost never take in to account your undergraduate school and the rigor of your major.

ilovemulch

Bronze

Post by ilovemulch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:41 am

digitalcntrl wrote:
artichoke88 wrote:

Thanks!
Half right, LSAC won't bump your grades, however, unless you are going to an elite law school (T14?) they don't care about your UG institution or the difficulty of your major. All non-elite schools are looking to game the UNSWR rankings so all they care about is your GPA and LSAT score.
I'm planning on applying to schools within T14...some as reaches, some as targets. My UG was a non-HYP ivy but my major was fairly average in difficulty, definitely not considered a "hard" major. I suppose it probably doesn't really affect my application in this case? Thanks!

digitalcntrl

Bronze

Post by digitalcntrl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:29 am

ilovemulch wrote:
digitalcntrl wrote:
artichoke88 wrote:

Thanks!
I'm planning on applying to schools within T14...some as reaches, some as targets. My UG was a non-HYP ivy but my major was fairly average in difficulty, definitely not considered a "hard" major. I suppose it probably doesn't really affect my application in this case? Thanks!
Your institution's prestige/major may matter to a certain extent in the T14, however, grades/LSAT score are what predominate. Even those in the T14 game the UNSWR rankings to a certain extent.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

afa_brandon

New

Post by afa_brandon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:25 pm

sumus romani wrote: I'd be surprised if they (law schools) even looked at this number. Unless you are at a service academy (west point, etc) or something, this just won't make a difference.

What impact will this have? I read something about it in "The Ivey Guide," but this is the only place i've heard it.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:33 pm

afa_brandon wrote:
sumus romani wrote: I'd be surprised if they (law schools) even looked at this number. Unless you are at a service academy (west point, etc) or something, this just won't make a difference.

What impact will this have? I read something about it in "The Ivey Guide," but this is the only place i've heard it.

Since West Point is considered by many to be the most prestigious school in the country due to the admission requirements, I'd say people from West Point probably get a bump.

SeanT228

New

Post by SeanT228 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:37 pm

West Point is the most prestigious? What do USAFA & USNA grads and USMA grad have in common? They all were accepted to West Point ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”