GPA question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sharpshooter
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:46 am

GPA question

Postby sharpshooter » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:18 pm

first off i play football and i am always strapped for time to study during the fall and my gpa shows it. so my question is should i write an addendum for this difference?

Freshman year
fall: 2.7 spring: 3.1
Sophomore year
fall: 3.0 spring: 3.5
junior year
fall: 3.2 spring: 3.6

cumulative: 3.2

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: GPA question

Postby jks289 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:21 pm

sharpshooter wrote:first off i play football and i am always strapped for time to study during the fall and my gpa shows it. so my question is should i write an addendum for this difference?

Freshman year
fall: 2.7 spring: 3.1
Sophomore year
fall: 3.0 spring: 3.5
junior year
fall: 3.2 spring: 3.6

cumulative: 3.2


I don't think an addendum makes sense here. There isn't a consistent upward trend, and even the 2.7 doesn't show a huge difference. I would focus on getting an awesome LSAT and making spending some time distancing yourself from the GPA. Also are you still in school (hence no senior years grades)? If so LOAD UP on courses. Forget football. Seriously, unless you are a draft pick just quit and focusing on adding as much to that GPA as humanly possible. Taking a bunch of community college courses before you officially graduate is a great and inexpensive way to do this.

sharpshooter
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:46 am

Re: GPA question

Postby sharpshooter » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:24 pm

well i think its pretty consistent. i mean there is at least a .4 difference between football season and the offseason as well as improvement every year. i have taken alot of CC courses that i didnt factor in that would raise my lsac gpa to a 3.4.

sharpshooter
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:46 am

Re: GPA question

Postby sharpshooter » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:25 pm

o and im not quitting football for my grades. there is a lot more to life than grades and school for me.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: GPA question

Postby jks289 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:29 pm

sharpshooter wrote:well i think its pretty consistent. i mean there is at least a .4 difference between football season and the offseason as well as improvement every year. i have taken alot of CC courses that i didnt factor in that would raise my lsac gpa to a 3.4.


It may seem consistent to you, but to an outside observer it looks like two steps forward one step back. That is just the reality of the numbers. Schools have show time and again they do not considering playing sports (or being in a fraternity, etc) as any kind of excuse. Only serious illness or caring for a family member seem to be considered (and even then, not so much.) If I were you I wouldn't bring up the football thing at all. That said a 3.4 is a hell of a lot better than a 3.2.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: GPA question

Postby jks289 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:30 pm

sharpshooter wrote:o and im not quitting football for my grades. there is a lot more to life than grades and school for me.


That's fine. This is just random internet advice. But schools will not care. At all. So football also need to be more important to you than where you get into law school and all of the lifelong ramifications that go with it. Good luck.

sharpshooter
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:46 am

Re: GPA question

Postby sharpshooter » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:38 pm

i dont think you are understanding what im asking or the trend im trying to show. i want to show the difference between the season and offseason and how once i get out of ug and im done with football i can focus on my studies and that is why my spring gpa is a better judge of my ability.

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: GPA question

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Its a pretty clear trend in your GPA breakdown, I think a brief addendum would help explain it.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: GPA question

Postby jks289 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

sharpshooter wrote:i dont think you are understanding what im asking or the trend im trying to show. i want to show the difference between the season and offseason and how once i get out of ug and im done with football i can focus on my studies and that is why my spring gpa is a better judge of my ability.


Yes, I fully understand what you are saying. What I am saying is that no school anywhere is going to even remotely care or consider that you did worse during football season then when you had more time. It isn't an excuse that is relevant or interesting to them. They are going to take your GPA at what it is and writing an addendum about how football make it tough for you to study is going to raise questions about your maturity level. Even if you can show you did better in the off season. Thems the facts. I'm not trying to be a dick, but a simple query on this site or LSN is going to back that up.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: GPA question

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:44 pm

This is addendum worthy, but it won't help much if at all.

sharpshooter
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:46 am

Re: GPA question

Postby sharpshooter » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:49 pm

thanks for the honesty. i guess ill write one, cant hurt.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests