Applied 4 Years Ago, Now Again

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
username99

Applied 4 Years Ago, Now Again

Postby username99 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:57 pm

I applied to schools for the 2006 year and decided in the end not to go to law school. I got into GW, Emory and got waitlisted at BU and Wash U, among others. I've since worked for 4 years, gotten 4 points higher on the LSAT (up to 167) and am now ready to apply again. Will my not going the first time impact how these schools evaluate my application? I can't imagine that it would, but I thought I would ask.

username99

Re: Applied 4 Years Ago, Now Again

Postby username99 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:05 am

Wow, nothing huh?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:25 am

username99 wrote:I applied to schools for the 2006 year and decided in the end not to go to law school. I got into GW, Emory and got waitlisted at BU and Wash U, among others. I've since worked for 4 years, gotten 4 points higher on the LSAT (up to 167) and am now ready to apply again. Will my not going the first time impact how these schools evaluate my application? I can't imagine that it would, but I thought I would ask.

Probably not.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:29 am

username99 wrote:I applied to schools for the 2006 year and decided in the end not to go to law school. I got into GW, Emory and got waitlisted at BU and Wash U, among others. I've since worked for 4 years, gotten 4 points higher on the LSAT (up to 167) and am now ready to apply again. Will my not going the first time impact how these schools evaluate my application? I can't imagine that it would, but I thought I would ask.

sorry dude, but i doubt many people on TLS are qualified to answer this........

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:34 am

I doubt it will, but keep in mind some of these schools (I'm thinking emory specifically) have had their stats go up by a nice bit since '06 so you may be less competitive now.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:34 am

On some applications, if not all, they ask if you applied there before. I guess you can state the reason why you didn't attend 4 years ago in the space provided or add an addendum as to why you didn't go.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:42 am

Even though it might not look good to apply to a school you ended up not going to, I don't think they would mind accepting you again just for your new and improved LSAT score.

Don't forget, in the end it's still a number's game.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:44 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Don't forget, in the end it's still a number's game.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:51 am

With 4 years work experience & a higher LSAT score, you are now a much stronger candidate for admission. It required guts, maturity & honest self evaluation for you to decline law school admissions offers several years ago; hopefully, law school admissions officers will recognize this.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:19 am

It might also depend on how you declined admission. If you withdrew courteously from the school, then I doubt they'll hold it against you. You'd probably be wise to address it on your application regardless.

username99

Postby username99 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:01 am

CanadianWolf wrote:With 4 years work experience & a higher LSAT score, you are now a much stronger candidate for admission. It required guts, maturity & honest self evaluation for you to decline law school admissions offers several years ago; hopefully, law school admissions officers will recognize this.

Wow, thanks. I like you.

Thanks to all. I'm hoping it won't affect things. I know their stats probably went up, but I'm thinking the 167 should off-set that, or at least I hope that's the case.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”