Old LOR's?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
username99

Old LOR's?

Postby username99 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Hey all, I'm going to be applying for next year. I previously applied during my senior year of college ('06) and got three academic letters of recommendation during that time. I haven't kept in touch with my professors and it would be difficult for me to go back and get new letters (though I now have professional LORs from my bosses). Would it be to my detriment to submit my old academic LORs with my app? Would that be looked upon strangely/poorly? Obviously there would be nothing to update with those anyway, as I've had no new academic experience. Thanks for your advice.

capitalacq

Re: Old LOR's?

Postby capitalacq » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:03 pm

username99 wrote:Hey all, I'm going to be applying for next year. I previously applied during my senior year of college ('06) and got three academic letters of recommendation during that time. I haven't kept in touch with my professors and it would be difficult for me to go back and get new letters (though I now have professional LORs from my bosses). Would it be to my detriment to submit my old academic LORs with my app? Would that be looked upon strangely/poorly? Obviously there would be nothing to update with those anyway, as I've had no new academic experience. Thanks for your advice.

I think you'll be OK sending 2 of them with your recent professional LOR.

jackalope11

Re: Old LOR's?

Postby jackalope11 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:06 pm

capitalacq wrote:
username99 wrote:Hey all, I'm going to be applying for next year. I previously applied during my senior year of college ('06) and got three academic letters of recommendation during that time. I haven't kept in touch with my professors and it would be difficult for me to go back and get new letters (though I now have professional LORs from my bosses). Would it be to my detriment to submit my old academic LORs with my app? Would that be looked upon strangely/poorly? Obviously there would be nothing to update with those anyway, as I've had no new academic experience. Thanks for your advice.

I think you'll be OK sending 2 of them with your recent professional LOR.

I thought this was a pretty interesting question, and it sounds like capitalacq is on to something... I would think they would have to be okay, since you're allowed to use your LSAT scores for five years, right?

As you said, it isn't like anything has changed academically since you received the LOR, so it would be difficult to argue that the profs' opinions were likely to have changed...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”