Dream School Application Maximization Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hey-O

Dream School Application Maximization Thread

Postby Hey-O » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:27 pm

So, it's Monday after we've gotten our LSAT scores for the June test. The goal of this thread is to track our progress and hopefully have a perfect application ready to send in to our dream schools on the first day that the application is opened.

Post your dream school, your numbers, and how your application is coming.

Stanford 172/3.85

Done:
PS
LORs (almost, I want one more)
LSDAS transcript

To do:
Why Stanford Essay
Get Great Job that makes me look awesome
Possibly get published online
Update my resume
Start volunteering somewhere that makes me look altruistic (and awesome)

RULE: NO SECOND CHOICES DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD! - You don't get to first by aiming for second.

Tanicius

Re: Dream School Application Maximization Thread

Postby Tanicius » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:35 pm

Michigan. 170/3.75

Done:
LSAT
LSDAS transcripts
legal public service volunteering

To do:
resume
2 professor LOR's
internship LOR
Why Michigan supplementary sssay
additional supplementary essay

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:43 pm

I like this idea... way to cut through summer boredom

Stanford 177/3.66

Done:
LORs
LSDAS report
Finance Intern

To Do:
PS/Diversity Statement
Resume

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Friendly bump

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Ha my fellow dreamers!

HYS 170/3.92
Ongoing:
re-working my essays - reapplying

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:Ha my fellow dreamers!

HYS 170/3.92
Ongoing:
re-working my essays - reapplying

I'm re-applying too! Glad to have a re-applying buddy. Are you going to re-write all your essays? I just don't know. I really love my PS and I don't think I could write a better one. I'm thinking of just writing an additional WHY X essay.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:03 am

Hey-O wrote:I'm re-applying too! Glad to have a re-applying buddy. Are you going to re-write all your essays? I just don't know. I really love my PS and I don't think I could write a better one. I'm thinking of just writing an additional WHY X essay.

Nice to meet you! I applied in way too late and missed out on all the early fun so this time I will be sure to enjoy it all. I love my PS too, but I didn't target it or write more about why I want to go to school x and study law y. So I am going to polish it up. I love my DS, I think I will just rework it a little bit. The rest of the work is going to be updating all the other stuff. I started a new job, in grad school now, published a thing or two, awards, etc... I think my application will look a lot different, and hopefully a lot better. The only thing that didn't improve was the LSAT, everything else has been bumped up a notch, noticeably my GPA so I feel good.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 am

Nightrunner wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I remember you. You rule.

I wish you nothing but the best.

Thank you! My life has been so great since I decided to come back to school. Even though LS didn't work out this cycle, everything has been awesome. I am at UPenn for the next year for grad school, I am extremely happy about that ...

Where are you going? Good luck! I enjoyed knowing many of you this past year :) and I look forward to the new crowd!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:14 am

r6_philly wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I remember you. You rule.

I wish you nothing but the best.

Thank you! My life has been so great since I decided to come back to school. Even though LS didn't work out this cycle, everything has been awesome. I am at UPenn for the next year for grad school, I am extremely happy about that ...

Where are you going? Good luck! I enjoyed knowing many of you this past year :) and I look forward to the new crowd!

I remember you too. +1 to saying you rule.

Dream school: HYS. 177-180/3.7-3.8 (going to stay vague till the cycle is over.)

Done:
LSAT
LSDAS transcripts
Asking profs for LORs
Draft of PS
Dean certification for S
Draft of Resume

To do:
Remind profs
Polish PS
Polish Resume
Look at NYU scholarship essays...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:21 am

I remember you too, good luck!

I am going to get my apps out on the first day lol I hope they haven't changed apps much.

What's the latest you can apply for scholarship consideration at Columbia and NYU?

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:34 pm

Cool idea

Stanford 172/3.7-3.8

Done:
LORs (One more though)
School
Softs

To do:
PS (hopefully will be done in the next few weeks)
Stanford Dean's Certification Letter
Why essay's for schools.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:I remember you too, good luck!

I am going to get my apps out on the first day lol I hope they haven't changed apps much.

What's the latest you can apply for scholarship consideration at Columbia and NYU?

You'll want your financial aid info to Columbia...sometime before end of Dec. I think(might be later, but I try to purposely misremember earlier dates). I'd just send your scholarship essay for NYU along with your regular app.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Hey-O wrote:I'm re-applying too! Glad to have a re-applying buddy. Are you going to re-write all your essays? I just don't know. I really love my PS and I don't think I could write a better one. I'm thinking of just writing an additional WHY X essay.

Nice to meet you! I applied in way too late and missed out on all the early fun so this time I will be sure to enjoy it all. I love my PS too, but I didn't target it or write more about why I want to go to school x and study law y. So I am going to polish it up. I love my DS, I think I will just rework it a little bit. The rest of the work is going to be updating all the other stuff. I started a new job, in grad school now, published a thing or two, awards, etc... I think my application will look a lot different, and hopefully a lot better. The only thing that didn't improve was the LSAT, everything else has been bumped up a notch, noticeably my GPA so I feel good.

Do you know if any schools punish people for sending in the same PS on re-application?

lawls

Postby lawls » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Yale 177-180/3.85-95

Done:
PS
LSDAS transcript
Resume

To do:

Yale 250
LORs
My "Why Not Harvard" essay
Last edited by lawls on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Cool thread! Best of luck to all you guys. Starting early is the way to go.

Oh, and lol @ why not Harvard essay.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Hey-O wrote:Do you know if any schools punish people for sending in the same PS on re-application?

From what I read so far, most schools want something fresh. I think if it wasn't good enough last year, it probably isn't going to be this year. I am changing parts of mine, even though I didn't apply to stanford last year and can use the same PS. My message got more developed this year and I think it will help me more if I updated it.

So I don't think they will punish you, but you are probably not doing yourself any favors.

psucane09

Postby psucane09 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:55 pm

I like where this thread is going... but I don't see any other DUKE hopefuls out there. I'm doing my LSAT prep now so it's hard to tell how realistic Duke is for me at this point but here it goes anyway.

Done:
3 Letters of Recommendation
Personal Statement
Transcripts (3.71 LSDAS GPA)

To Do:
LSAT
Why Duke

Currently living in Florida and hoping to stay on the east coast while avoiding cold weather like the plague, it seems like Duke is the obvious top choice in the southeast.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:04 pm

psucane09 wrote:I like where this thread is going... but I don't see any other DUKE hopefuls out there. I'm doing my LSAT prep now so it's hard to tell how realistic Duke is for me at this point but here it goes anyway.

Done:
3 Letters of Recommendation
Personal Statement
Transcripts (3.71 LSDAS GPA)

To Do:
LSAT
Why Duke

Currently living in Florida and hoping to stay on the east coast while avoiding cold weather like the plague, it seems like Duke is the obvious top choice in the southeast.

Wow! Good job being so prepared for your application. Good luck on the LSAT!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”