Is it necessary to visit law schools you're considering?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Very Necessary
14%
Probably a Good Idea
76%
Unnecessary
11%

Total votes: 37

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:01 pm

I'm thinking about visiting three law schools that I'm interested in attending. Is this even necessary, though? Please comment on your vote.

kalvano

Re: Is it necessary to visit law schools you're considering?

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:03 pm

You're planning on spending 3 important years of your life there. I would.

A school that I was very high on, I withdrew after visiting. Just didn't like it.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:05 pm

kalvano wrote:You're planning on spending 3 important years of your life there. I would.

A school that I was very high on, I withdrew after visiting. Just didn't like it.

For my undergrad I didn't visit (as I think most people don't), but it seems like law school is different - People feel that it is more important.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Like I said, I was very high on one school and withdrew after visiting.

It's up to you, but once you nail it down to two or three distinct possibilities, I would visit just to get a feel for the place.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:12 pm

I accepted at Georgetown sight-unseen- mostly out of necessity. I only had the money to travel to one school- to get housing set up.

It's important that you not be miserable for three years, but I'm not convinced that a visit necessarily gives people an accurate impression of a school. You could get a tour guide who is having a bad day, you might sit in on a particularly bad class, or you might not go long enough to appreciate the merits of a particular place (or the problems with it).

There are some classes I have taken that would have left a visiting prospective student with the perception that GULC is a terrible school. There are others that would have left the same student with the perception that it is the greatest school ever .

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Dude not only is it 3 years of your life, but most likely around $150k... check the school out first. I almost accepted Pacific McGeorge because I have some connects up in Sac-Town for a good legal job. Then I visited the school and decided that I DGAF how much money they were offering me, I would not ever attend that god-awful campus.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:14 pm

honestabe84 wrote:I'm think about visiting three law schools that I'm interested in attending. Is this even necessary, though?

I would strongly recommend applying to more than 3 schools. Scholarship negotiations can have a big impact on debt. If you apply to lots of schools, you increase your chances for gaining leverage for negotiations. (assuming you're applying in the upcoming cycle)

Good Luck!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:21 pm

honestabe84 wrote:I'm thinking about visiting three law schools that I'm interested in attending. Is this even necessary, though? Please comment on your vote.

If you can't afford to visit all of them, wait until you're admitted. The only reason I'd suggest visiting beforehand is if you intend to ED. Otherwise, why spend money to visit a school that might not accept you?

If you get your apps in early enough, you should have a period of at least a couple months between when you get your acceptances and when you have to put deposits down. In that case, you might be able to keep things to just one visit; go visit your favorite of the schools that accepts you first, and if you like it, then you're done.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:I'm think about visiting three law schools that I'm interested in attending. Is this even necessary, though?

I would strongly recommend applying to more than 3 schools. Scholarship negotiations can have a big impact on debt. If you apply to lots of schools, you increase your chances for gaining leverage for negotiations. (assuming you're applying in the upcoming cycle)

Good Luck!

I should have been more clear. I'm applying to probably around 10 schools, but the three schools that I planned on visiting are schools that are at the top of my list and that I think I have a good shot at getting accepted.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

get accepted first and then visit. if you are anything less then median don't even waste the time or $ going to look at the school before you have that acceptance letter in hand. if you are hit by the WL it might be helpful to visit and see if a) you want to wait it out and b) if you can sweet talk the adcomm and show your dedication by stopping by.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

nealric wrote:I accepted at Georgetown sight-unseen- mostly out of necessity. I only had the money to travel to one school- to get housing set up.

It's important that you not be miserable for three years, but I'm not convinced that a visit necessarily gives people an accurate impression of a school. You could get a tour guide who is having a bad day, you might sit in on a particularly bad class, or you might not go long enough to appreciate the merits of a particular place (or the problems with it).

There are some classes I have taken that would have left a visiting prospective student with the perception that GULC is a terrible school. There are others that would have left the same student with the perception that it is the greatest school ever .

What exactly happens on a typical visit. Does some random student give you a tour and then you just go to a 1L class? Do you just sit in the back of the class and observe?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:26 pm

Are you asking about visits pre- or post-acceptance? If pre, then wholly unnecessary. If post, then not necessary, but a very good idea. Visiting helped me narrow down my list of potential schools, and ultimately allowed me to make a well-reasoned choice.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:26 pm

gwuorbust wrote:get accepted first and then visit. if you are anything less then median don't even waste the time or $ going to look at the school before you have that acceptance letter in hand. if you are hit by the WL it might be helpful to visit and see if a) you want to wait it out and b) if you can sweet talk the adcomm and show your dedication by stopping by.

You actually meet with adcomms? That could make or break an acceptance.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:26 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:

Good Luck!

I should have been more clear. I'm applying to probably around 10 schools, but the three schools that I planned on visiting are schools that are at the top of my list and that I think I have a good shot at getting accepted.

If the schools are relatively close and you can afford the time and expense, then I think it is smart to go visit. But I don't think it is a huge mistake to commit to attending a school you've never seen. Just make sure you do your homework on the culture and location. I don't think there is any point visiting schools that haven't accepted you yet.

The argument that you might love a school on paper and hate it in person doesn't really work for me. You are just as likely to have a initial negative impression of a place you would end up loving.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:27 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:I'm thinking about visiting three law schools that I'm interested in attending. Is this even necessary, though? Please comment on your vote.

If you can't afford to visit all of them, wait until you're admitted. The only reason I'd suggest visiting beforehand is if you intend to ED. Otherwise, why spend money to visit a school that might not accept you?

If you get your apps in early enough, you should have a period of at least a couple months between when you get your acceptances and when you have to put deposits down. In that case, you might be able to keep things to just one visit; go visit your favorite of the schools that accepts you first, and if you like it, then you're done.

As usual, vanwinkle speaks the truth... Did this exact thing and ended up ruling out a school I thought for sure I would attend, and ended up attending a school that I had not strongly considered prior to being admitted (both decisions in large part due to the visits).

Great advice.

luhrenzo

Postby luhrenzo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:29 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:

Good Luck!

he said visit not apply. it'd be ridiculous to visit all schools you apply to. wait and see where you get in then narrow it down.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:30 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Are you asking about visits pre- or post-acceptance? If pre, then wholly unnecessary. If post, then not necessary, but a very good idea. Visiting helped me narrow down my list of potential schools, and ultimately allowed me to make a well-reasoned choice.

I was mainly asking about pre, but I'm also interested in post. Like I mentioned before, I was planning on doing this with only three schools that are A) At the top of my list, and B) That I think I have a good shot of being admitted to.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:33 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

As usual, vanwinkle speaks the truth... Did this exact thing and ended up ruling out a school I thought for sure I would attend, and ended up attending a school that I had not strongly considered prior to being admitted (both decisions in large part due to the visits).

Great advice.

This is interesting. I can't imagine a visit would influence my decision that much. I wouldn't care if all of the T-10 looked like San Quentin prison. I would still attend over something around 20.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:37 pm

What exactly happens on a typical visit. Does some random student give you a tour and then you just go to a 1L class? Do you just sit in the back of the class and observe?

I'm sure it depends on the school. When I visited GULC (after putting down deposit), they were in finals, so the admissions office just gave me a visitor's pass and let me walk around. Some schools will have an accepted students weekend, which usually involves a tour, sitting in on a class, and maybe a social activity or two.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:42 pm

honestabe84 wrote:This is interesting. I can't imagine a visit would influence my decision that much. I wouldn't care if all of the T-10 looked like San Quentin prison. I would still attend over something around 20.

I was actually prepared to attend a school in the 20 range, despite having an acceptance at a T10, because I was thinking the scholarship $$$ and the location would make a huge positive difference for me. Visits to both changed my mind. That particular T20 was in a very inconvenient and expensive location, the higher COL partially nullified the scholarship benefits, the long distance of the school from the nearby city diminished the value of wanting to live "in" that city... and I fell in love with the T10, and the neighborhood around it, right after I visited.

You never know how visits will affect you until you visit. I was sure I had my mind made up, and then I flipped very quickly.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:10 pm

It is very necessary, but only once you know you are in. No point in wasting money flying/driving to the school if it might not even be a possibility.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”