When To Apply

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
balzern

When To Apply

Postby balzern » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:35 am

I know everyone says to apply early - I am retaking in October. If I get my apps out by Thanksgiving is that early enough? I might apply to 1 or 2 safeties with my current score just to have some in the bank. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Grizz

Re: When To Apply

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 am

Schools probably won't look at your apps until after your retake score comes in.

Thanksgiving is probably fine.

balzern

Postby balzern » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:39 am

I couldn't apply with an old score to 1 or 2 schools and then use the newer one in November?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:41 am

balzern wrote:I couldn't apply with an old score to 1 or 2 schools and then use the newer one in November?

You can apply, but most (I believe all, correct me if I'm wrong) schools won't make a decision if they see you have a pending retake, which you do, and they will assuredly see it. I'd call the schools you're thinking of to be sure, but this is probably what's gonna happen.

balzern

Postby balzern » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:44 am

Ok, I will call them. Will it lessen my chance for admit if I apply to a safety in November rather than September, possibly with a better score.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:49 am

balzern wrote:Ok, I will call them. Will it lessen my chance for admit if I apply to a safety in November rather than September, possibly with a better score.

You should be fine. A score increase in November > early application. Check LSN to see if your safeties yield-protect. If so, be sure to write "Why X" essays if your scores are way above their range.

balzern

Postby balzern » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks man great advice. I am new to this application game so if you could answer this question too it would be really helpful. If my gpa is above school x's median and my LSAT is at their median would this be considdered an admit?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:02 am

balzern wrote:Thanks man great advice. I am new to this application game so if you could answer this question too it would be really helpful. If my gpa is above school x's median and my LSAT is at their median would this be considdered an admit?

Depends on the school, but you probably have a very very good shot.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”