Military and Law School but no JAG?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mike19

Military and Law School but no JAG?

Postby Mike19 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:54 am

So I have a question for anyone who might have experience with this. I am commissioning into the military (Army) next summer and was toying with the idea of going to law school. I don't want to practice law, but I would like the degree so that if I ended up in some sort of government agency later in life then I would be able to use some of what I learned. My school told me that if I went to law school (note: Im going active duty) then I would almost certainly be sent to JAG (with or without my consent).

I hate to say that Im being driven by numbers...but I have a 170/3.83 and would hate to wait more than 5 years and have to retake the LSAT.

I understand that if the military pays for my law school then they might expect a lawyer. But if I were to get ed delay and then offer to fund it myself would that work? Is that even possible? (I would probably apply to the ED program at GWU and pray...)

I already know that I will choose the military over law school, so that's not the issue. I'd just like to know if the two can go hand in hand and still allow me to pursue something other than JAG.

Bildungsroman

Re: Military and Law School but no JAG?

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:31 am

Mike19 wrote: I don't want to practice law,

Don't go to law school, then.

imacpa

Postby imacpa » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:32 am

First, congrats on your desire to serve our country!

If you're going active duty, you can apply to the Army's FLEP program where you can be selected to attend law school on the military's tab. However, it's very competitive from what I understand. I can't say whether you'll be sent involuntary to JAG school. I don't believe that's true and I can't say I haven't heard that before but maybe policies have recently changed (it's been a few years since I was in the miliary).

Or you can pay for it on your own like you mentioned via ED Delay. However, I don't think the military will expect you to become a JAG officer immediately especially since they're not footing the bill for your education. However, you will be expected to make up time as a result of the ED Delay.

I think your best bet is to do the ED route because you're not likely to be expected to go straight to JAG unless you apply. Or just go into a part-time program but that's not likely to be feasible given the likelihood of deployment.

Mike19 wrote:So I have a question for anyone who might have experience with this. I am commissioning into the military (Army) next summer and was toying with the idea of going to law school. I don't want to practice law, but I would like the degree so that if I ended up in some sort of government agency later in life then I would be able to use some of what I learned. My school told me that if I went to law school (note: Im going active duty) then I would almost certainly be sent to JAG (with or without my consent).

I hate to say that Im being driven by numbers...but I have a 170/3.83 and would hate to wait more than 5 years and have to retake the LSAT.

I understand that if the military pays for my law school then they might expect a lawyer. But if I were to get ed delay and then offer to fund it myself would that work? Is that even possible? (I would probably apply to the ED program at GWU and pray...)

I already know that I will choose the military over law school, so that's not the issue. I'd just like to know if the two can go hand in hand and still allow me to pursue something other than JAG.

Mike19

Postby Mike19 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:39 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

I'd like to study law..just not be a lawyer.

But thanks to the other poster for the informative response! I'll check into some of that.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:42 am

Mike19 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

I'd like to study law..just not be a lawyer.

But thanks to the other poster for the informative response! I'll check into some of that.

What does this even mean? THats what the library/internet is for. Do you even have a clue?

Mike19

Postby Mike19 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:59 am

Look, its really not a hard concept. At some point in my life I'd like to rotate back to a government agency where I'd be able to utilize my law degree. I mentioned that in my original post. For now, however, I won't be using my law degree for the conventional use.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:10 am

Mike19 wrote:Look, its really not a hard concept. At some point in my life I'd like to rotate back to a government agency where I'd be able to utilize my law degree. I mentioned that in my original post. For now, however, I won't be using my law degree for the conventional use.

I don't think the Army would force you into the JAG corp if you don't want to.....if you look at their website, there is a story about a lawyer (who practiced for two years) that joined the infantry before he got his JAG commission.

Anyhow, a JD + military service could come in handy when applying to FBI.

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 am

BigFatPanda wrote:
Mike19 wrote:Look, its really not a hard concept. At some point in my life I'd like to rotate back to a government agency where I'd be able to utilize my law degree. I mentioned that in my original post. For now, however, I won't be using my law degree for the conventional use.

I don't think the Army would force you into the JAG corp if you don't want to.....if you look at their website, there is a story about a lawyer (who practiced for two years) that joined the infantry before he got his JAG commission.

They won't involuntarily assign you to JAG if you pay for it yourself. However, if they pay, you bet your boots they will be expecting to get a shiny minted lawyer out of the deal.

If you're going active next summer, that means you haven't even selected a branch yet. IIRC, you'll find out accession results this fall (are you a Pointer, btw?). Call Cadet Command and ask, or have someone from your school give a holler to HRC to find out how they'd handle your situation. Here's one problem I can see -- they may deny your ED request if you aren't planning on using your degree to benefit the service. This is why you should call someone knowledgeable and ask the question.

Mike19

Postby Mike19 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Paichka wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:

They won't involuntarily assign you to JAG if you pay for it yourself. However, if they pay, you bet your boots they will be expecting to get a shiny minted lawyer out of the deal.

If you're going active next summer, that means you haven't even selected a branch yet. IIRC, you'll find out accession results this fall (are you a Pointer, btw?). Call Cadet Command and ask, or have someone from your school give a holler to HRC to find out how they'd handle your situation. Here's one problem I can see -- they may deny your ED request if you aren't planning on using your degree to benefit the service. This is why you should call someone knowledgeable and ask the question.

thanks for the heads up. Na, Im not at WP. Im at one of the senior military colleges. Ill be an end of camp commissionee though, so Im trying to figure it all out. Thanks for the info

Mike19

Postby Mike19 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:29 am

figured I'd post the answer I found just in case anyone on this thread ever has a similar question.

Because I would be delaying my entry and getting an ed delay then I would be forced into JAG upon graduation of law school (assuming I didnt outright fail each and every one of my classes). I would also be required to pay for law school up front but would be given the option of loan repayment at a later date.

owt

Postby owt » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:47 am

I was under the impression that Delayed Entry students still have to apply for JAG. If you are not selected then you go into another MOS.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:27 am

You'd be much better to serve a few years and separate with the Post 9/11 GI Bill anyhow. Between the GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon I have a full-ride with living expenses. None of the services tuition reimbursements pay that much. (If I remember right $60K-90K is the limit set by congress...)

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:55 am

You can have them pay for it and not go JAG. Had that happen to a friend of mine. Spent 2 years in Iraq in combat arms (and the two years in between in, I think, GA) after they paid for him to go to a T2. All you had to do at the time is mention you were a liberal democrat, would have voted for Kennedy, and BAM! no advising on the legality of Guantanamo for you! Obviously this is pretty much a career ender (to have them pay for LS and then not go JAG), but I thought I would mention it.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:11 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:You can have them pay for it and not go JAG. Had that happen to a friend of mine. Spent 2 years in Iraq in combat arms (and the two years in between in, I think, GA) after they paid for him to go to a T2. All you had to do at the time is mention you were a liberal democrat, would have voted for Kennedy, and BAM! no advising on the legality of Guantanamo for you! Obviously this is pretty much a career ender (to have them pay for LS and then not go JAG), but I thought I would mention it.

This is entirely variable. If they need JAGs, you are going to JAG. If they don't, you go elsewhere. Everything is their needs. Also, LOL at them caring about your political leanings. As a JAG you aren't doing anything that that would matter. (And that was the White House Counsels office who weighed in on the legality of Gitmo...)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”