Where could I realistically go????

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
njgal

Where could I realistically go????

Postby njgal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:08 am

I just want to know what type of schools I could realistically get in with my information. I am aiming for top 20 but I know how difficult that is.

Attend UVA undergrad (not a virginia resident)
Varsity athlete
Accounting/marketing major
internship every summer
3.67 GPA
167 LSAT
White female
Also have the traditional softs like volunteering, sorority position, etc...

am060459

Re: Where could I realistically go????

Postby am060459 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:20 am

i would apply from T10-T30ish.

T30s will most definitely give u scholly money. apply early.

phoenixwright83

Postby phoenixwright83 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:25 am

You have a good chance all the way up to the Top14. Then it becomes very iffy.

My advice is apply to some schools where you will have an opportunity to get a full merit scholarship and then apply to some reach schools. Keep your options open. Try to narrow your choices down by: 1) availability of scholarship money 2) location 3) programs If you like the VA area, try W&M and W&L. Your numbers should give you a good shoot at a lot of money.

PM with any questions you have, I just went through a tough application cycle and may be able to answer some of your questions. Also, if you think you can increase your LSAT score, a couple more points can make a big difference. However, be weary, I was confident I would increase mine and my scores were : 163, 164, 167 .... I believed I would have done better on both my retakes.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:17 am

Wherever you decide to settle for.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:22 am

An okay shot from Cornell thru Vandy. In beyond that. Good $$$ from 20 and beyond.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:56 am

TheTopBloke wrote:Wherever you decide to settle for.

About as useless and dick of a response as I've seen on TLS.

njgal

Postby njgal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 am

Thanks for the replies everyone....I should mention that while scholarship money is always nice ultimately funding for law school is not an issue and will not drastically affect my decision. Also, I am not really tied to staying in the Virginia area (I should mention the midwest is not for me). After 4 years in Charlottesville I am more interested in living in a city like enviroment (so W&M is a no). From what you guys are saying it seems like I am right on in my schools that I think I have a good shot at. The following are some that I am aiming for:

UT (my dad is an alum I don't know if that factors in at all)
Emory (mom is an alum...once again don't know if this is a factor)
USC
Vanderbilt
GW

Then I figured I would throw in 1-3 reaches just to see what happens. Also, what is a reasonable/good amount of schools to apply to? I do not want to go over board with the applications but I also do not want to limit myself. Once again thanks for the help.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 am

These are solid choices. I'd thrown an app to Cornell too.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:38 am

njgal wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone....I should mention that while scholarship money is always nice ultimately funding for law school is not an issue and will not drastically affect my decision. Also, I am not really tied to staying in the Virginia area (I should mention the midwest is not for me). After 4 years in Charlottesville I am more interested in living in a city like enviroment (so W&M is a no). From what you guys are saying it seems like I am right on in my schools that I think I have a good shot at. The following are some that I am aiming for:

UT (my dad is an alum I don't know if that factors in at all)
Emory (mom is an alum...once again don't know if this is a factor)
USC
Vanderbilt
GW

Then I figured I would throw in 1-3 reaches just to see what happens. Also, what is a reasonable/good amount of schools to apply to? I do not want to go over board with the applications but I also do not want to limit myself. Once again thanks for the help.

a lot of schools in your reach will send you fee waivers. if you feel like living in the midwest, uminn might be a good choice - you should get some very respectable money from them, and minneapolis is an awesome city

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:40 am

sundance95 wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:Wherever you decide to settle for.

About as useless and dick of a response as I've seen on TLS.

I try.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”