ED to Michigan or NYU?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vicuna

ED to Michigan or NYU?

Postby vicuna » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:26 pm

I got a 17x on the June LSAT and have a 3.7x GPA at a non-HYP Ivy undergrad. My softs are good, though not exceptional. My dilemma is that I really want to go to NYU, but, according to Law School Predictor, I will probably fall short. My LSAT/GPA index score is slightly below their median and only about 49% of applicants with similar numbers (according to LSN) are accepted. It would appear that my chances, even if I applied early, would be worse than a coin flip at getting accepted.

On the other hand, my index is about at the 55-63% range for Michigan, Virginia, and Penn, and a solid majority of applicants with similar numbers are accepted. Though not assured, it seems that I have a decent shot at getting into all three, or at least two, of these schools. Michigan seems to be the mostly prestigious and has the most generous LRAP, which is relevant because I am considering PI/Governmental Law. An ED application at any of these schools would seem to guarantee admission. On the downside, my scholarship possibilities would be seemingly reduced.

All of this said, I will probably retake in October. Should I ED to NYU regardless of the October score or ED to Michigan to ensure acceptance? Or ED nowhere?

Thanks.
Last edited by vicuna on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moxie

Re: ED to Michigan or NYU?

Postby Moxie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Try ED to NYU if it is your first choice. Your numbers are already very competitive for Michigan RD.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:34 pm

Moxie wrote:Try ED to NYU if it is your first choice. Your numbers are already very competitive for Michigan RD.

+1

vicuna

Postby vicuna » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Follow-up question: Is NYU considered receptive to ED applicants?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”