I regret having gone to law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Re: I regret having gone to law school

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:04 pm

^^^ Matthies, this is why you are one of my favorite TLS posters. Very helpful, insightful, and practical advice. I know I will probably be bugging you for more specific tidbits in the fall when I finally get down to STL. :D

Still, just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will work for all, so I'd just be careful of making overbroad statements about how networking always works. A lot of great students and great people are out without jobs right now; I just heard from one of them that I went to high school with who went to Northwestern. I don't know if it is always fair to blame the victim, and I hope in 3 years if (god forbid) I am unemployed and I share my experience on TLS that I don't get attacked for it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:07 pm

romothesavior wrote: don't know if it is always fair to blame the victim, and I hope in 3 years if (god forbid) I am unemployed and I share my experience on TLS that I don't get attacked for it.

Let's start a scamblog and become JDU trolls who get perpetually banned.

altoidz

Postby altoidz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:08 pm

this is a fun thread

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:08 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote: don't know if it is always fair to blame the victim, and I hope in 3 years if (god forbid) I am unemployed and I share my experience on TLS that I don't get attacked for it.

After my 1L grades come back and I am below median, I will move down to Nashville and live in my aunt's basement and we'll get right on this.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:09 pm

altoidz wrote:this is a fun thread

A little too serious and meme-free for my tastes, but it has been pretty good.

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:

After my 1L grades come back and I am below median, I will move down to Nashville and live in my aunt's basement and we'll get right on this.

I don't think I have met a single TLS regular who is below median...

MAYBE one or two.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:12 pm

mistergoft wrote:I don't think I have met a single TLS regular who is below median...

MAYBE one or two.

I don't like those odds.

altoidz

Postby altoidz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:14 pm

mistergoft wrote:I don't think I have met a single TLS regular who is below median...

MAYBE one or two.

a) they prolly lie
b) they prolly lie

camstant

Postby camstant » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:15 pm

rad law wrote:

MAYBE one or two.

I don't like those odds.

How many misguided posts do i need to make to get good grades? Im not even out of double digits yet :shock:

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:15 pm

MAYBE one or two.

Those don't talk about their grades. I know lots who are.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:16 pm

camstant wrote:How many misguided posts do i need to make to get good grades? Im not even out of double digits yet :shock:

I'd say you've got about 2737 to go to be competitive where you are going.

altoidz

Postby altoidz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:17 pm

camstant wrote:How many misguided posts do i need to make to get good grades? Im not even out of double digits yet :shock:

i think you need to be at least over 10k to be sure!!!

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:17 pm

altoidz wrote:

i think you need to be at least over 10k to be sure!!!

you've got some work to do, kitty

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:18 pm

mistergoft wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:Let's start a scamblog and become JDU trolls who get perpetually banned.

I don't think I have met a single TLS regular who is below median...

MAYBE one or two.

Me and Waterman will boldly go where no manboys have ever gone before.

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:18 pm

mallard wrote:

MAYBE one or two.

:| :? :(

Oh noes.

camstant

Postby camstant » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:

If addition and subtraction is on the exams you're probably right

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:21 pm

mistergoft wrote:
mallard wrote:

MAYBE one or two.

:| :? :(

Oh noes.

I mean, I think we tend to be above median, I guess.

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:25 pm

mallard wrote:I mean, I think we tend to be above median, I guess.

Well, tbf, if you were below median at your school (or really, anyone at a t10) you'd still probably be in a better position than the vast majority of the people at my school outside of the top, say, 15%.

So there is that...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:26 pm

camstant wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

If addition and subtraction is on the exams you're probably right

Best way to rack up posts is to get in on the ground floor of a thread like this while it is developing:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=120236&start=425

Or join these guys:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=103658&start=172575

Although I would never, in good conscience, recommend getting involved with that thread. It will suck your soul out.

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:27 pm

Though I hesitate to wade into this thread, I was wondering if I could ask the OP something:

Do you want to be a lawyer?

All this advice in this thread is very useful/easy to take advantage of if you love the law and want to be a lawyer. I could be reading between the lines too much but it sure sounded like from your original post that you don't really want to be a lawyer. If you love the law, what people here are calling "networking" is really very easy since its what you already want to do: talk to other lawyers, participate in law associations, and hone your craft. If you don't love the law, "networking" will be like pulling teeth.

I could be very wrong about this, but I believe that if you truly WANT to be a lawyer and pratice the law because you love it and can't imagine doing anything else with your life, then by all means go to law school even if the best school you can get into is a "TTT" school. If you don't want to be a lawyer or hate law, then even going to Yale won't get you hired: interviewers can smell apathy from a mile away.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:28 pm

lsat_fear wrote:
Matthies wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
How much do you make?

Enough to keep me happy and pay my bills, and work from home (which is a HUGE plus in my book). I do public interest environmental and water law mostly. But working through law school means I still own a townhouse in downtown Denver, drive an Audi, own 1/4 of a ski condo in Breck, have a few flat screens, a bunch of computers and other shit that people who make more than me can't do because they got more debt.

aintchu sumtin else! seriously dude, I hope the legal profession is not filled with douchebags as stuck on themselves as you. . .

He asked how much i made, that's pretty douchy, hence my douchy reposne, but in all likleyhood I'm mild on the level of douchness you will encounter in the legal profesion

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:31 pm

itsfine wrote:I don't think anyone should be surprised, unless they are just now thinking about law for the first time and they think they are gonna make 160k....those people do benefit from reading this...

as for me, and most other people on this forum, any type of investment, whether it be education, stocks, businesses, comes with inherent risk. it WILL not pan out for everyone. There are people who have MBAs right now that are saying.."i should have went to law school" bc they cant find a job...

ultimately, whats the answer?? Go back to college, major in bio or chem, take the mcat, and become a doctor.

This is so true!

Doctors are getting screwed as well. Nothing is guaranteed anymore.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Matthies wrote:
lsat_fear wrote:aintchu sumtin else! seriously dude, I hope the legal profession is not filled with douchebags as stuck on themselves as you. . .

He asked how much i made, that's pretty douchy, hence my douchy reposne, but in all likleyhood I'm mild on the level of douchness you will encounter in the legal profesion

Matthies is perhaps the least douchey person I've met on TLS. He has helped me on multiple occasions and he is a generally friendly dude.

Not at all like those radlaw, miamiman, romothesavior, and camstant characters.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Miracle wrote:
itsfine wrote:I don't think anyone should be surprised, unless they are just now thinking about law for the first time and they think they are gonna make 160k....those people do benefit from reading this...

as for me, and most other people on this forum, any type of investment, whether it be education, stocks, businesses, comes with inherent risk. it WILL not pan out for everyone. There are people who have MBAs right now that are saying.."i should have went to law school" bc they cant find a job...

ultimately, whats the answer?? Go back to college, major in bio or chem, take the mcat, and become a doctor.

This is so true!

Doctors are getting screwed as well. Nothing is guaranteed anymore.

Please expound on that point.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:Matthies is perhaps the least douchey person I've met on TLS. He has helped me on multiple occasions and he is a generally friendly dude.

Not at all like those radlaw, miamiman, romothesavior, and camstant characters.

STFU GTFO

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”