I regret having gone to law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
altoidz

Re: I regret having gone to law school

Postby altoidz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Your cat is hypnotizing. If I stared at it straight for 5 minutes, you could convince me to go out and flip tricks in the back of Denny's at 3 in the morning.

its good at pushing people away!
i will hypnotise you to make me more ribsS!!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:00 pm

altoidz wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Your cat is hypnotizing. If I stared at it straight for 5 minutes, you could convince me to go out and flip tricks in the back of Denny's at 3 in the morning.

its good at pushing people away!
i will hypnotise you to make me more ribsS!!

Your....wish....is....my....command....master.

doublefocus4

Postby doublefocus4 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:32 pm

keg411 wrote:
GeorgiaPeach wrote:Dear all,

I want to share with you my story. I'll be brief. I graduated from college with something I believed was a worthless degree. My parents and friends said I should apply to law school. I scored through the roof on the LSAT. I couldn't believe it when I got accepted into a great school, my school of choice. I knew the cost was high but I thought that I would work in my hometown in a middle firm for $60,000 and get on by. I applied to everything in sight. I ended up without an offer. My case was far from unique. It was the ones who got satisfying jobs that are unique. I guess I can teach for BarBri or Kaplan or something now. It's just not worth it.

Please don't write back with something pathetic about how I didn't try hard enough.

1) How were your law school grades?
2) How far is your school from your target market?
3) Did you/do you know any attorneys in the area of your hometown? If so have you tried calling them?
4) Have you tried talking to attorneys in the market near your school?
5) What year are you? Rising 2L? Rising 3L? Recent grad? This is important, because I couldn't tell if you were talking about a 1L summer firm job, a 2L summer firm job or if you were a grad with no job. If you're a grad, where did you work 1L and 2L summer? Can go back and talk to any of those attorneys and see if they know anyone who might be looking for someone?

I'm sorry, but without answering all these questions, I have little sympathy for you.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:35 pm

I want to share with you my story. I'll be brief. I graduated from college with something I believed was a worthless degree. My parents and friends said I should apply to law school. I scored through the roof on the LSAT. I couldn't believe it when I got accepted into a great school, my school of choice. I knew the cost was high but I thought that I would work in my hometown in a middle firm for $60,000 and get on by. I applied to everything in sight. I ended up without an offer. My case was far from unique. It was the ones who got satisfying jobs that are unique. I guess I can teach for BarBri or Kaplan or something now. It's just not worth it.

Please don't write back with something pathetic about how I didn't try hard enough.

talk about getting rid of the competition.

nickwar

Postby nickwar » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:40 pm

rayiner wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Hey, I never claimed I knew everything about networking. Was simply pointing out that you're likely not in a position to offer an opinion on its effectiveness, given the nature of your "social" life (as indicated by 1000000000000000000 posts on an internet forum).

Social life = drinking with other 25 y/o's who can't help you get a job (but might get you laid).
Networking = drinking with old wrinkly men who know firm partners (but won't get you laid).

Thousands of internet posts might interfere with the former, but not the latter.

In summary: I'm having lunch with a firm partner on Tuesday but my nearest prospect for getting laid is like August. :(

Wow, sweet man.

LawMuns

Postby LawMuns » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:43 pm

I am sorry to hear that. Don't feel locked into law just because you went to law school. A JD will make you good at a lot of non-law jobs.

I would spend some time figuring out a career that would make you happy, and pursue that. You are obviously not dumb, but I think a lot of people just figure if they go to the right school and get the right degree riches and happiness will follow. If you figure out what makes you happy and pursue it with passion, money will most likely take care of itself. If not, at least you are doing something that makes you happy.

yo!

Postby yo! » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I got my first job by fucking a guys chubby daughter.

TCR

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:23 am

Curiosity, re: networking. What exactly do people mean by networking? Do they mean generally being a friendly person and then once in a while someone might coincidentally have some connection or be a connection that can help your career, or actively trying to befriend people just because you think they can help you? Because I must admit that I'm not inclined to do the latter and while I do the former naturally, the idea that *needing* to befriend people with ulterior motives for my career is unsettling.

Iuvo

Postby Iuvo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:24 am

acrossthelake wrote:Curiosity, re: networking. What exactly do people mean by networking? Do they mean generally being a friendly person and then once in a while someone might coincidentally have some connection or be a connection that can help your career, or actively trying to befriend people just because you think they can help you? Because I must admit that I'm not inclined to do the latter and while I do the former naturally, the idea that *needing* to befriend people with ulterior motives for my career is unsettling.

What they mean is sexual favors.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:32 am

Ty Webb wrote:Sounds as if you were a loser with small, undefined goals and a lack of personal motivation.

Your tale is neither telling, nor unique, nor interesting.

Guy who wants to just get by and never leave his hometown goes to law school on the urging of his parents. Guy with the predisposition to bitch about it on an anonymous internet forum doesn't take the initiative and fails to outperform his classmates.

Guy with the, "Don't blame it on my work ethic, it's not my fault" attitude fails to make worthwhile connections with actual human beings that can help him land a position.

None of this is surprising.

I know T14 grads from Cornell, Duke, GULC, and Northwestern CAN wind up without jobs (though not necessarily traditional ones), but those law degrees are still highly marketable. It's possible that OP has poor interviewing skills, poor verbal and writting skills and/or poor motivation. Even in this ecponomy, it's difficult to believe that grads from such schools can't find decent paying jobs if they work and search hard enough. A Cornell, GULC or Berkeley grad is still a Cornell, GULC or Berkeley grad. The names of those schools open doors if you are a go-getter. I call OP's fault.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:21 am

proof LSAT #'s don't mean jack shit.

olanderp

Postby olanderp » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:24 am

PDaddy wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Sounds as if you were a loser with small, undefined goals and a lack of personal motivation.

Guy who wants to just get by and never leave his hometown goes to law school on the urging of his parents. Guy with the predisposition to bitch about it on an anonymous internet forum doesn't take the initiative and fails to outperform his classmates.

Guy with the, "Don't blame it on my work ethic, it's not my fault" attitude fails to make worthwhile connections with actual human beings that can help him land a position.

I know T14 grads from Cornell, Duke, GULC, and Northwestern CAN wind up without jobs (though not necessarily traditional ones), but those law degrees are still highly marketable. It's possible that OP has poor interviewing skills, poor verbal and writting skills and/or poor motivation. Even in this ecponomy, it's difficult to believe that grads from such schools can't find decent paying jobs if they work and search hard enough. A Cornell, GULC or Berkeley grad is still a Cornell, GULC or Berkeley grad. The names of those schools open doors if you are a go-getter. I call OP's fault.

Obvious 0L. A JD is completely worthless outside of law (not merely worthless in the field).

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:16 am

olanderp wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

Obvious 0L. A JD is completely worthless outside of law (not merely worthless in the field).

Not true at all. JD's are working in a variety of fields outside of law. The degree itself may not get you in the door, but it does broaden your skill set. Anyways, it sounds like OP doesn't have anything other than a law degree going for him, and that's the problem. People who have taken the time to develop other experiences and skill sets don't have to rely strictly on their JD's if they can't get law jobs.

If you have experience as a Wall Street broker to go with your law degree, why not try consulting? If you were an English major, why not use your law degree to write stories dealing with legal issues and get them published? Why not be an entreprenuer? Everybody acts like having a law degree means someone owes them something. An MD is a completely different thing. MBA's and JD's need to make it happen for themselves. And to the extent that other fields don't value JD's, it's our job to make them understand what contributions we are capable of making. OP sounds lazy. That's my take on this, and I'll stick with it.

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:53 am

PDaddy wrote: If you were an English major, why not use your law degree to write stories dealing with legal issues and get them published? Why not be an entreprenuer?

I hope my OCS has other fantastic career recommendations like this one.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:06 am

PDaddy wrote: why not try consulting? If you were an English major, why not use your law degree to write stories dealing with legal issues and get them published? Why not be an entreprenuer?

Why not kiss frogs until you meet your prince? Why not drive a magic school bus? Why not ride unicorns into the sunset?

Tsispilos

Postby Tsispilos » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:03 am

What the fuck crawled up your urethra?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:30 am

so many douche trucks in this thread :lol:

pugalicious wrote:
PDaddy wrote: why not try consulting? If you were an English major, why not use your law degree to write stories dealing with legal issues and get them published? Why not be an entreprenuer?

Why not kiss frogs until you meet your prince? Why not drive a magic school bus? Why not ride unicorns into the sunset?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:49 am

Man, some of the 0Ls and 1Ls on this thread really need to check their attitude.

Yes, it's possible that OP could do more to get a job, and it's possible that if he keeps plugging away he'll eventually find something. But there are simply far fewer legal jobs to be had than there were a few years ago, and there are simply not enough for every qualified grad. Yes, OP should reach out to alumni and attend events and all that. But it's a bit dickish to make assumptions that he must have poor interviewing skills or not be making an effort. If anything, you guys are all just engaging in "it can't happen to me" rationalization because you don't want to face that you're taking a risk.

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:52 am

blsingindisguise wrote:Man, some of the 0Ls and 1Ls on this thread really need to check their attitude.

Yes, it's possible that OP could do more to get a job, and it's possible that if he keeps plugging away he'll eventually find something. But there are simply far fewer legal jobs to be had than there were a few years ago, and there are simply not enough for every qualified grad. Yes, OP should reach out to alumni and attend events and all that. But it's a bit dickish to make assumptions that he must have poor interviewing skills or not be making an effort. If anything, you guys are all just engaging in "it can't happen to me" rationalization because you don't want to face that you're taking a risk.

Also, job-seekers almost never have the power to create jobs through networking. The state of the legal market is such that somebody else is after the job you're looking for. Somebody is going to end up screwed, even if everybody works hard in law school and networks constantly.

lsat_fear

Postby lsat_fear » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:22 am

blsingindisguise wrote:Man, some of the 0Ls and 1Ls on this thread really need to check their attitude.

TITCR

Tsispilos wrote:

What the fuck crawled up your urethra?

TITCR

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:27 am

acrossthelake wrote:Curiosity, re: networking. What exactly do people mean by networking? Do they mean generally being a friendly person and then once in a while someone might coincidentally have some connection or be a connection that can help your career, or actively trying to befriend people just because you think they can help you? Because I must admit that I'm not inclined to do the latter and while I do the former naturally, the idea that *needing* to befriend people with ulterior motives for my career is unsettling.

You do the former first in hopes that the latter will come naturaly. To the last part, then maybe law is not the carear for you, its more like sales than accounting, at some point you need to make rain or your out. You can just write memos forvere and expect to get your salary doubled every year.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 am

Possibly, or maybe some folks on this thread won't give up so esialy when they are faced with finding a job. Finding a job is a fulltime job, and quiting that job or doing it halfassed will lead to poor results.

Tsispilos

Postby Tsispilos » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:33 am

Matthies wrote:

Possibly, or maybe some folks on this thread won't give up so esialy when they are faced with finding a job. Finding a job is a fulltime job, and quiting that job or doing it halfassed will lead to poor results.

NOTE: Law school is also a full-time job. So is a summer associateship/internship. You don't have all the time in the world to just go around "networking." Not saying you don't have ANY time for that, but spending too much time "networking" may mean shitty law school and summer job performance, which can hurt the hard factors that many prospective employers will care about. There's just not an easy formula to follow that will get you employed.

Also, what makes you think OP gave up easily? It's totally possible right now for someone in his position to fight to the bitter death in the job-hunting arena and end up bitterly dead in that search.
Last edited by Tsispilos on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:35 am

Law school is not a full-time job.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:45 am

Tsispilos wrote:
Matthies wrote:

NOTE: Law school is also a full-time job. So is a summer associateship/internship. You don't have all the time in the world to just go around "networking." Not saying you don't have ANY time for that, but spending too much time "networking" may mean shitty law school and summer job performance, which can hurt the hard factors that many prospective employers will care about. There's just not an easy formula to follow that will get you employed.
Also, what makes you think OP gave up easily? It's totally possible right now for someone in his position to fight to the bitter death in the job-hunting arena and end up bitterly dead in that search.

And you know this how? Me, well let's see, I went to law school part-time at night, worked fulltime during the day and networked, was active in the local bar and a member of an Inn of court, along the way I also got an LLM/MLS and graduated 13th in my class and have job thanks to the contacts I made . So yea, it can be done.

As the OP giving up easily

I applied to everything in sight. I ended up without an offer. My case was far from unique. It was the ones who got satisfying jobs that are unique. I guess I can teach for BarBri or Kaplan or something now. It's just not worth it.

If he is the class of 2010 he has not even taken the bar yet, if class of 2009, its a not even a year since he got results.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”