I regret having gone to law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paz

New

Re: I regret having gone to law school

Post by paz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:37 pm

rad law wrote:
Ty Webb wrote: Almost 11,000 posts in 1.5 years makes me think that you know very little about networking or its merits. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but the tens of thousands of posts internet forum guy doesn't strike me as the kind who can spark meaningful relationships with influential people.
This logic is asinine.
+1

i think you're making quite the stretch with this assumption -- if anything, his strong activity/vocal presence might even prove otherwise.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
General Tso wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Also is this a corsair alt.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OP reeks of flame
OP reeks of 30% of lower T14 2010 grads, and 95% of TTT grads from any year.

Nothing about this is a flame. If it is a flame, its a stupid one, since he is describing thousands of people.
how many "lower T14 2010 grads" want to work in their hometown @ 60k at a midsized firm? Please...

Most midsized firms don't even pay that kind of salary, any legit T14 person would know this. This reeks of the 'lawis4losers' moron.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:39 pm

rayiner wrote:All the 0Ls ITT should chill the fuck out. You're not going to "network your ass off" or "gun your ass off and be 10%".
rayiner wrote:Think about that.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:40 pm

rad law wrote:
icydash wrote:There are a ton of jobs that are now open (or more open) to you with a JD, and the learning and personal growth you've achieved over the last 3 years counts for a lot, too.
Actually everything I've read/heard indicates that it will make you overqualified for most non-legal jobs.
It depends on your path. If you want to start / run a business, a JD can be a fantastic thing. It also qualifies you to be a professor, work in some govt jobs (as a non-attorney), looks good if you go for politics/like to work on political campaigns, and so on.

While I'm sure there is such a thing as being over qualified, unless we're talking about McDonalds-esque jobs here, I've never run into a situation (nor do I personally know anyone else who has) where someone has said to me "we loved your personality...and your work experience...and your resume...we think you'd be a great fit....the only problem is we think you might just do too darn good a job!...so we're not gunna hire you."

...in business / engineering / (and maybe law?) it's pretty much a rule of thumb to try and surround yourself with people much smarter than you...it's how you learn.
Last edited by icydash on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

altoidz

New

Post by altoidz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:40 pm

sweet. now i want icecream on top of chinese good

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:41 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
rayiner wrote:The response is really unwarranted. You went to a top school with a reasonable expectation of getting a good job at graduation. All the comments about networking and finishing in the top 20% are retarded. Getting in the top 20% involves beating 4 out of 5 classmates, all of whom had great LSATs and GPAs. Networking isn't as easy as you'd think. If you're a typical straight out of UG student, you have nothing to distinguish yourself from the masses of other straight out of UG students.

All the 0Ls ITT should chill the fuck out. You're not going to "network your ass off" or "gun your ass off and be 10%". Think about that.
Almost 11,000 posts in 1.5 years makes me think that you know very little about networking or its merits. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but the tens of thousands of posts internet forum guy doesn't strike me as the kind who can spark meaningful relationships with influential people.
Ty Webb wrote:For a history degree holder, the only opportunity I'm trading in is a life of coaching high school football and teaching geography at some bullshit South Carolina private school named after a prolific 1800s racist
Yeah good luck parlaying that into meaningful relationships with influential people.

As for 10k posts... the heinously dorky engineers who worked for companies that hired IP lawyers and worked with regulators are in a far better position to network than your average law student.

I'm not saying it's not possible to network, but without a pre-LS career you can leverage it involves a lot of luck and is not something I'd want to have to count on.
Last edited by rayiner on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:41 pm

altoidz wrote:sweet. now i want icecream on top of chinese good
YOU'LL HAVE RIBS AND LIKE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:42 pm

paz wrote:
rad law wrote:
Ty Webb wrote: Almost 11,000 posts in 1.5 years makes me think that you know very little about networking or its merits. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but the tens of thousands of posts internet forum guy doesn't strike me as the kind who can spark meaningful relationships with influential people.
This logic is asinine.
+1

i think you're making quite the stretch with this assumption -- if anything, his strong activity/vocal presence might even prove otherwise.
Sorry, but you have to, you know, leave your computer chair (typically) to develop relationships with people who can help you. Internet forum activism isn't exactly a staple of networking prowess (at least in the real world).

With that, I'm off to play a round of golf, while simultaneously helping underprivileged children. :lol:

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:43 pm

Hey, I never claimed I knew everything about networking. Was simply pointing out that you're likely not in a position to offer an opinion on its effectiveness, given the nature of your "social" life (as indicated by 1000000000000000000 posts on an internet forum).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

altoidz

New

Post by altoidz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:43 pm

Ty Webb wrote: With that, I'm off to play a round of golf, while simultaneously helping underprivileged children. :lol:
i hope you stay in socala.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:44 pm

icydash wrote: While I'm sure there is such a thing as being over qualified, unless we're talking about McDonalds-esque jobs here, I've never run into a situation (nor do I personally know anyone else who has) where someone has said to me "we loved your personality...and your work experience...and your resume...we think you'd be a great fit....the only problem is we think you might just do too darn good a job!...so we're not gunna hire you."
It's more a question of them not hiring you because they think you'll bolt for a legal job at your first opportunity.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Hey, I never claimed I knew everything about networking. Was simply pointing out that you're likely not in a position to offer an opinion on its effectiveness, given the nature of your "social" life (as indicated by 1000000000000000000 posts on an internet forum).
Social life = drinking with other 25 y/o's who can't help you get a job (but might get you laid).
Networking = drinking with old wrinkly men who know firm partners (but won't get you laid).

Thousands of internet posts might interfere with the former, but not the latter.

In summary: I'm having lunch with a firm partner on Tuesday but my nearest prospect for getting laid is like August. :(
Last edited by rayiner on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Have you tried injecting your JD with steroids?

You went to law school simply because you could. Shame on you. You dug your own grave. Didn't you know that parents and relatives never have good advice? It's alright to inform your relatives about crap in your life, but to depend on the worthless bullshit they have to offer is ridiculous. Prime example is you.

In all honesty, stop sucking the teet and go hunting. You need to learn to kill and this cannot be done if you are afraid to fall of the nest. Go fly little birdie!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:49 pm

rad law wrote:
icydash wrote: While I'm sure there is such a thing as being over qualified, unless we're talking about McDonalds-esque jobs here, I've never run into a situation (nor do I personally know anyone else who has) where someone has said to me "we loved your personality...and your work experience...and your resume...we think you'd be a great fit....the only problem is we think you might just do too darn good a job!...so we're not gunna hire you."
It's more a question of them not hiring you because they think you'll bolt for a legal job at your first opportunity.
They may be right in some circumstances. But as long as you lie a little bit and say you tried law and decided it wasn't for you, etc, you should be fine.

And honestly, if I was them, that wouldn't even be a concern. If you do bolt as soon as you get a legal job, then they got someone who's worth 160k/year working for only 20-50k/year for X amount of time. They definitely made out on that deal. And if they have to go find someone else to fill your place when they need to... ITE, not a big deal.
Last edited by icydash on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

altoidz

New

Post by altoidz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote: YOU'LL HAVE RIBS AND LIKE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now you are just teasing me :'(

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:51 pm

rad law wrote:
This is always something I wondered about. Can't you leave your JD off your resume for jobs in which you may be "overqualified"? You don't need to disclose everything you've ever done. Tailor your resume to the job you are applying for.

altoidz

New

Post by altoidz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:51 pm

rayiner wrote:
In summary: I'm having lunch with a firm partner on Tuesday but my nearest prospect for getting laid is like August. :(
loser!! you hsould go play golf and simultaneously help underprivileged children!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:52 pm

pugalicious wrote:
rad law wrote:
This is always something I wondered about. Can't you leave your JD off your resume for jobs in which you may be "overqualified"? You don't need to disclose everything you've ever done. Tailor your resume to the job you are applying for.
Yeah, I believe this is accurate, too....Though a 3 year gap on your resume may make employers wonder...
Last edited by icydash on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:52 pm

rayiner wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Hey, I never claimed I knew everything about networking. Was simply pointing out that you're likely not in a position to offer an opinion on its effectiveness, given the nature of your "social" life (as indicated by 1000000000000000000 posts on an internet forum).

Social life = drinking with other 25 y/o's who can't help you for shit!get a job (but might get you laid).

Networking = drinking with old wrinkly men who know firm partners and high class callgirls (but won't get you laid).

Thousands of internet posts might make high class callgirls fuck you silly cause they love internet geeks. ]interfere with the former, but not the latter.
FTFY!
Last edited by SwollenMonkey on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:53 pm

Though a 3 year gap on your resume may make employers wonder
Last edited by yinz on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:53 pm

Law firm jobs = 30% school + 60% grades + 10% everything else. The fact that people on this site bank on the "everything else" dimension of the equation never ceases to amuse me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cardnal124

Bronze

Post by cardnal124 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:56 pm

icydash wrote:
rad law wrote:
They may be right in some circumstances. But as long as you lie a little bit and say you tried law and decided it wasn't for you, etc, you should be fine.

And honestly, if I was them, that wouldn't even be a concern. If you do bolt as soon as you get a legal job, then they got someone who's worth 160k/year working for only 20-50k/year for X amount of time. They definitely made out on that deal. And if they have to go find someone else to fill your place when they need to... ITE, not a big deal.
I think the bigger problem is that companies worry that someone who is overqualified will get bored and angry at the world and do a poor job. The poor performance would then be exacerbated by excessive absences from "doctor's appointments" that are interviews for other, more fulfilling work.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 pm

miamiman wrote:Law firm jobs = 30% school + 60% grades + 10% everything else. The fact that people on this site bank on the "everything else" dimension of the equation never ceases to amuse me.
some might argue that it is 60% school, 30% grades, 10% everything else (roughly) ... as in if you didn't go to a good enough school, no one will be looking at your grades. Some might also argue that is is 90% everything else (see: children of firm partners, children of clients of firms, etc). to put a hard and fast equation like this on the table isnt very.. practical.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:58 pm

miamiman wrote:Law firm jobs = 30% school + 60% grades + 10% everything else. The fact that people on this site bank on the "everything else" dimension of the equation never ceases to amuse me.

Yah, it's pretty weird. So weird it makes it seems as if TLS was an accurate representation of the legal world.

Prime example is me: I mentioned TLS at a gathering of a bunch of lawyers and they all looked at me funny like I was some internet antisocial geek. Really weird shit.

Moral of the story: What happens on TLS stays on TLS.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:58 pm

In my experience, connections help when you're in the ballpark already, unless it's something like you're uncle working at a firm.

During my 1L job search, I leveraged connections with three firm partners. My grades were way above their usual targets. I went 0/3, with the response "we'd *love* to take you on, but we're just not hiring any more 1Ls."

You can't network your way into jobs that aren't there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”