I regret having gone to law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GeorgiaPeach

New

I regret having gone to law school

Post by GeorgiaPeach » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Dear all,

I want to share with you my story. I'll be brief. I graduated from college with something I believed was a worthless degree. My parents and friends said I should apply to law school. I scored through the roof on the LSAT. I couldn't believe it when I got accepted into a great school, my school of choice. I knew the cost was high but I thought that I would work in my hometown in a middle firm for $60,000 and get on by. I applied to everything in sight. I ended up without an offer. My case was far from unique. It was the ones who got satisfying jobs that are unique. I guess I can teach for BarBri or Kaplan or something now. It's just not worth it.

Please don't write back with something pathetic about how I didn't try hard enough.

Diamond

Re: I regret having gone to law school

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:51 pm

GeorgiaPeach wrote:Dear all,

I want to share with you my story. I'll be brief. I graduated from college with something I believed was a worthless degree. My parents and friends said I should apply to law school. I scored through the roof on the LSAT. I couldn't believe it when I got accepted into a great school, my school of choice. I knew the cost was high but I thought that I would work in my hometown in a middle firm for $60,000 and get on by. I applied to everything in sight. I ended up without an offer. My case was far from unique. It was the ones who got satisfying jobs that are unique. I guess I can teach for BarBri or Kaplan or something now. It's just not worth it.

Please don't write back with something pathetic about how I didn't try hard enough.
Where did you go to school?

GeorgiaPeach

New

Post by GeorgiaPeach » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Where did you go to school?
Between T10 and T14.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:53 pm

Have you tried applying in jobs that aren't in your hometown?

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:54 pm

I don't think anyone should be surprised, unless they are just now thinking about law for the first time and they think they are gonna make 160k....those people do benefit from reading this...

as for me, and most other people on this forum, any type of investment, whether it be education, stocks, businesses, comes with inherent risk. it WILL not pan out for everyone. There are people who have MBAs right now that are saying.."i should have went to law school" bc they cant find a job...

ultimately, whats the answer?? Go back to college, major in bio or chem, take the mcat, and become a doctor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:54 pm

It's not like you're shit out of luck for the rest of your life. Keep applying to offices all over. Start some crazy networking.
Last edited by Tanicius on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Surely "It is the ones who got satisfying jobs that are unique" is false. The hiring market is scary enough without overstatement. But I do appreciate reading someone's honest expression about law school. Good luck.

GeorgiaPeach

New

Post by GeorgiaPeach » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Thirteen wrote:Have you tried applying in jobs that aren't in your hometown?
Duh! Come on Thirteen.

truffleshuffle

New

Post by truffleshuffle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Did you have a plan for what you wanted to do with a law degree?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:02 pm

Thinking a good school or even good grades along will get you a job? You probably would have benefited from a year or two off to mature a bit.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:04 pm

Sounds as if you were a loser with small, undefined goals and a lack of personal motivation.

Your tale is neither telling, nor unique, nor interesting.

Guy who wants to just get by and never leave his hometown goes to law school on the urging of his parents. Guy with the predisposition to bitch about it on an anonymous internet forum doesn't take the initiative and fails to outperform his classmates.

Guy with the, "Don't blame it on my work ethic, it's not my fault" attitude fails to make worthwhile connections with actual human beings that can help him land a position.

None of this is surprising.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:05 pm

You can thank your friends and parents for making your law school decision for you. Since you seem to value their advice, why don't you ask them what you should do now with your JD and WORTHLESS undergrad degree? Did you ask them which panties to put on this morning? I'd go with the lacy red thong. Might as well feel sexy.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Your reaction to thirteen's post is a possible reason why you are frustrated in your job search.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Your reaction to thirteen's post is a possible reason why you are frustrated in your job search.
'splain, please.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:You can thank your friends and parents for making your law school decision for you. Since you seem to value their advice, why don't you ask them what you should do now with your JD and WORTHLESS undergrad degree? Did you ask them which panties to put on this morning? I'd go with the lacy red thong. Might as well feel sexy.
+1. I lost all capacity for sympathy when I read:
GeorgiaPeach wrote:My parents and friends said I should apply to law school.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:09 pm

What place in your class did you rank, and what year did you graduate?

Also is this a corsair alt.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:10 pm

You never mention anywhere how you actually DID in law school. Just because you went to a good one doesn't mean you're guaranteed a job. Did you get in the top 20%? 30%? Above median?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Also is this a corsair alt.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:11 pm

1) How were your law school grades?
2) How far is your school from your target market?
3) Did you/do you know any attorneys in the area of your hometown? If so have you tried calling them?
4) Have you tried talking to attorneys in the market near your school?
5) What year are you? Rising 2L? Rising 3L? Recent grad? This is important, because I couldn't tell if you were talking about a 1L summer firm job, a 2L summer firm job or if you were a grad with no job. If you're a grad, where did you work 1L and 2L summer? Can go back and talk to any of those attorneys and see if they know anyone who might be looking for someone?
Last edited by keg411 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:You can thank your friends and parents for making your law school decision for you. Since you seem to value their advice, why don't you ask them what you should do now with your JD and WORTHLESS undergrad degree? Did you ask them which panties to put on this morning? I'd go with the lacy red thong. Might as well feel sexy.

Sorry, but I wanted Canadian Wolf to explain his comment. I just don't get it, and I guess I'm missing something. The OP just said that applying outside her target market was both obvious and unfruitful. Am I missing some implicit meaning?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:14 pm

sumus romani wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:

Sorry, but I wanted Canadian Wolf to explain his comment. I just don't get it, and I guess I'm missing something. The OP just said that applying outside her target market was both obvious and unfruitful. Am I missing some implicit meaning?
The OP made it sound like the person only applied for jobs in his/her hometown.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:14 pm

sumus romani wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:

I tend to think CanadianWolf was referring the tone and word choice ("DUH!"), which indicate that the OP is the immature, petulant child that his/her post paints them to be.

Azmatt

Bronze

Post by Azmatt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:15 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Thinking a good school or even good grades along will get you a job? You probably would have benefited from a year or two off to mature a bit.
Seriously. What did you expect? Moreover, how did you go through lawschool and graduate without having a clue about how it was going to be?

I call flame.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:15 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Your reaction to thirteen's post is a possible reason why you are frustrated in your job search.
GeorgiaPeach wrote:
Duh! Come on Thirteen.CanadianWolf

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:15 pm

Ty Webb wrote: I tend to think CanadianWolf was referring the tone and word choice ("DUH!"), which indicate that the OP is the immature, petulant child that his/her post paints them to be.
I concur 100%.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”