Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Barbie

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:54 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I currently have a 3.25/157 would bumping my score up to a 160 make a huge difference?

I practice test in the mid 160s but I dont want to get to optimistice.

I think so! Where are you trying to go?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Barbie wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I currently have a 3.25/157 would bumping my score up to a 160 make a huge difference?

With current score or a 160
Santa Clara University
U of San Fran
American
Cardozo
Brooklyn
With this score I think I only really have a shot at SCU.

Mid 160s
realistically=
UC Hastings ED
Davis

I would like to stay in the bay area, but if I was going to leave the bay I would be looking at=

GWU
Boston College

Mid 160s would make my cycle much more exciting. I have hit 170 on practice tests but my actual test day experience has been much less glamorous.

I am also doing a paralegal certification course and have a 4.0. Dont know if this really matters at all.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:29 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Barbie wrote:

With current score or a 160
Santa Clara University
U of San Fran
American
Cardozo
Brooklyn

Mid 160s
realistically=
UC Hastings ED
Davis

I would like to stay in the bay area, but if I was going to leave the bay I would be looking at=

GWU
Boston College

Mid 160s would make my cycle much more exciting. I have hit 170 on practice tests but my actual test day experience has been much less glamorous.

I am also doing a paralegal certification course and have a 4.0. Dont know if this really matters at all.

The only GPA that matters is your UG. but a retake could be epic for you. I got my best score ever on the actual test (granted I only took 4 PTs to prepare, got a 163 on the last PT and a 163 on test day) so it is possible to max out your 170, esp if the 170 was on a recent test!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:54 pm

dukivich10 wrote:I am enjoying this thread. Ill jump in. 3.56 159. Decent WE. Fla resident. I have some money to blow on apps + i received quite a few fee waivers so im just hoping for one of my reaches to bite haha.

Reaches
Wake
George Mason
Alabama

Targets
UF
FSU.....UF and FSU are starting to look like reaches w/ their median LSAT jump
Miami
Stetson

Safety
Samford
Liberty
FIU maybe...

I am looking for more schools in the SE...Hopefully early apps help cause ive already sent 5 haha!

Any chance for a retake? UF and FSU are gonna probably need a higher LSAT, and Miami and Stetson aren't worth going to without scads of money, which you probably won't get.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:07 pm

rad law wrote:
dukivich10 wrote:I am enjoying this thread. Ill jump in. 3.56 159. Decent WE. Fla resident. I have some money to blow on apps + i received quite a few fee waivers so im just hoping for one of my reaches to bite haha.

Reaches
Wake
George Mason
Alabama

Targets
UF
Miami
Stetson

Safety
Samford
Liberty
FIU maybe...

I am looking for more schools in the SE...Hopefully early apps help cause ive already sent 5 haha!

Any chance for a retake? UF and FSU are gonna probably need a higher LSAT, and Miami and Stetson aren't worth going to without scads of money, which you probably won't get.

FSU will want a higher LSAT score. UF looks at GPA a good amt also. I don't know what their median GPA is though. You would have to be above it because you're below median with LSAT. I wish it hadn't gone up to 162!! Does anyone know the 75th percentiles for FSU and UF now?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:26 pm

Yes, a giant difference.

jarofsoup wrote:With current score or a 160
Santa Clara University
U of San Fran
American
Cardozo
Brooklyn

Mid 160s
realistically=
UC Hastings ED
Davis

GWU
Boston College

BC / GW aren't happening without a 165+ at the least.
Last edited by kalvano on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:35 pm

rad law wrote:

Reaches
Wake
George Mason
Alabama

Targets
UF
Miami
Stetson

Safety
Samford
Liberty
FIU maybe...

Agreed with rad & Barbs; UF & FSU are probably more reaches than targets. Liberty, don't even bother.

Might want to throw in Ole Miss, South Carolina, Arkansas & LSU if you are good with those regions. I think you'll get in all.

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:47 am

Ya I knew UF and FSU were going to be tough before their medians jumped... Thanks for the other suggestions. I will look into those.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:20 pm

deadpanic wrote:Agreed with rad & Barbs; UF & FSU are probably more reaches than targets. Liberty, don't even bother.

Might want to throw in Ole Miss, South Carolina, Arkansas & LSU if you are good with those regions. I think you'll get in all.

Agree with panic. However, I'd ask around about those markets. Anecdotally, if you're not from there/have family there/etc. employers might really wonder if you're truly committed to being there. Also I've heard anecdotal good 'ol boy network stories.

CurbYourEnthusiasm

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Radlaw, curious to hear what your thoughts were about my situation on the previous page. You seem to be well informed with these types of topics.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:36 pm

I am not really sure where I fit in/should apply this fall. I only have a 3.28 GPA, but I have a 170 LSAT and am retaking (shooting for 175, which is what I'm scoring in practice tests). For reach schools, I'm looking at Vanderbilt, Texas (in-state), Cornell, and maybe Penn or Michigan. My safety school is U of Houston because that's where I live and would be happy going. Not sure what other schools to consider. Maybe Wash U in St. Louis and USC (also reaches, probably?), and William & Mary or Wake Forest (would these be targets with a 175?).

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:54 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:I am not really sure where I fit in/should apply this fall. I only have a 3.28 GPA, but I have a 170 LSAT and am retaking (shooting for 175, which is what I'm scoring in practice tests). For reach schools, I'm looking at Vanderbilt, Texas (in-state), Cornell, and maybe Penn or Michigan. My safety school is U of Houston because that's where I live and would be happy going. Not sure what other schools to consider. Maybe Wash U in St. Louis and USC (also reaches, probably?), and William & Mary or Wake Forest (would these be targets with a 175?).

This thread is more for people who are barely breaking 160, but from what I've heard WUStL is your best bet. And Wake Forest is wayyyyy below you. Their median is 163 I think.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:58 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:I am not really sure where I fit in/should apply this fall. I only have a 3.28 GPA, but I have a 170 LSAT and am retaking (shooting for 175, which is what I'm scoring in practice tests). For reach schools, I'm looking at Vanderbilt, Texas (in-state), Cornell, and maybe Penn or Michigan. My safety school is U of Houston because that's where I live and would be happy going. Not sure what other schools to consider. Maybe Wash U in St. Louis and USC (also reaches, probably?), and William & Mary or Wake Forest (would these be targets with a 175?).

You should probably ask for fee waivers and start around #6 and work your way down. WUSTL is basically a lock with that LSAT, and several others should bite as well.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:59 pm

I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging or anything posting in this thread because I do realize my LSAT score is very good, but I am definitely worried about my GPA (I thought low numbers included <3.5).

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:00 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging or anything posting in this thread because I do realize my LSAT score is very good, but I am definitely worried about my GPA (I thought low numbers included <3.5).

That GPA isn't THAT bad (its actually the same one I have) but you have a 170+ to carry you around ;) dont worry.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:54 pm

CurbYourEnthusiasm wrote:Radlaw, curious to hear what your thoughts were about my situation on the previous page. You seem to be well informed with these types of topics.

Sure I'll bite

Reach
Fordham PT
Cardozo PT
Brooklyn

Target
St. Johns
Rutgers-Newark

In your situation, retake, retake, retake. Seriously, you need to retake, if at all possible. You're probably out at Fordham PT (which I wouldn't recommend even if you got in), and Cardozo and Brooklyn are incredibly dicey without tons of scholarship money, which you probably won't get if you get it. Same with St. John's, except it is worse that Dozo and Brooklyn.

Rutgers Newark could be okay. I'd inquire about the difficulty in transferring PT to FT, if that interests you. Make sure you're okay with working in New Jersey. And I wouldn't go without a hefty scholarship. Can you get in-state?

CurbYourEnthusiasm

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Ya I currently live in Jersey so I would get in state tuition. I'm curious are you more of a t14 or bust kind of guy? I can see your rational for everything you said except maybe Fordham. They place pretty decent given the current economy. Ya Jersey isn't bad, I would prefer to start out in New York though, just because I work there now and I love it. Rutgers places in New York, obviously not as well as Columbia, NYU and such, but it has a pretty solid reputation based on what I've read. Either way, I am going to have to place towards the top to make solid money no matter which of these schools I attend, but I still don't see the problem with Fordham. Hopefully I can hit my average preptest score, which is been about 165. Figure that will get me into Rutgers, hopefully with some money.

Birdlaw

Postby Birdlaw » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:16 pm

Wow I'm really glad I found this thread, I kind of feel like an idiot when I see nearly everyone here scored from the high 160's to the 170's.

3.81/159

Super Reach:
Notre Dame
Washington (STL)
GWU
Minnesota

50/50:
American
San Diego
University of Washington

Safety Schools:
UMKC
SLU
Loyola Chicago

I really want to go to GWU, especially after meeting with them at a law fair yesterday. Realistically it seems I'll have to score around a 166 on my retake in October to get in. Sadly my best practice test so far has been a 166 so heres hoping I can duplicate.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Birdlaw wrote:Wow I'm really glad I found this thread, I kind of feel like an idiot when I see nearly everyone here scored from the high 160's to the 170's.

3.81/159

Super Reach:
Notre Dame
Washington (STL)
GWU
Minnesota

50/50:
American
San Diego
University of Washington

Safety Schools:
UMKC
SLU
Loyola Chicago

I really want to go to GWU, especially after meeting with them at a law fair yesterday. Realistically it seems I'll have to score around a 166 on my retake in October to get in. Sadly my best practice test so far has been a 166 so heres hoping I can duplicate.

I have no idea about schools like that, but if you keep your current numbers I would add more targets!

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Birdlaw wrote:Wow I'm really glad I found this thread, I kind of feel like an idiot when I see nearly everyone here scored from the high 160's to the 170's.

3.81/159

Super Reach:
Notre Dame
Washington (STL)

Neither of these are happening. I would doubt Minnesota and GWU too, but I don't know as much about them. WUSTL loves them some high LSAT scores.

Birdlaw

Postby Birdlaw » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 pm

cubswin wrote:

3.81/159

Super Reach:
Notre Dame
Washington (STL)

Neither of these are happening. I would doubt Minnesota and GWU too, but I don't know as much about them. WUSTL loves them some high LSAT scores.

Exactly why I put the word "super" before the word reach, they were schools I targetted pre-LSAT and underperformed greatly on test day, I'm not ready to let go. Basically I need to murder my October LSAT which is sadly why I am not going out tonight and studying instead. I still think its pretty harsh that a GPA above a 3.75 doesn't have more weight in the admissions process. Yes, grading systems are different everywhere as well as school difficulties, but to maintain a GPA like that I have had to bust my ass and so would anyone else at any other school. It seems harsh that a test for just one day counts more than three years of hard work. Obviously I am completely biased because that is how my scores turned out, but it does suck to not be considered because of a subpar LSAT when I've worked hard all throughout college to only get a handful of B's so I would be considered for a great law school. Whereas a B student who scored in the 170's would have much better chances than mine. Clearly I haven't worked hard enough though so hopefully October 9th goes well for me. [hop off my soapbox]

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Birdlaw wrote:
cubswin wrote:

3.81/159

Super Reach:
Notre Dame
Washington (STL)

Exactly why I put the word "super" before the word reach, they were schools I targetted pre-LSAT and underperformed greatly on test day, I'm not ready to let go. Basically I need to murder my October LSAT which is sadly why I am not going out tonight and studying instead. I still think its pretty harsh that a GPA above a 3.75 doesn't have more weight in the admissions process. Yes, grading systems are different everywhere as well as school difficulties, but to maintain a GPA like that I have had to bust my ass and so would anyone else at any other school. It seems harsh that a test for just one day counts more than three years of hard work. Obviously I am completely biased because that is how my scores turned out, but it does suck to not be considered because of a subpar LSAT when I've worked hard all throughout college to only get a handful of B's so I would be considered for a great law school. Whereas a B student who scored in the 170's would have much better chances than mine. Clearly I haven't worked hard enough though so hopefully October 9th goes well for me. [hop off my soapbox]

I think even people, like me, who actually got helped out more by the LSAT than our GPAs, agree with you. I know that it is kind of unfair that someone worked really hard for a good GPA and others have sub3.0 GPAs but do well on a test and surpass a 3.9+. You can see why, though, because UG classes are pretty easy for the most part and aren't always the best indicator for someones intelligence or ability to do well on tough law school tests. But it's a losing battle to fight anyways :(

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:26 pm

Birdlaw wrote:
cubswin wrote:

3.81/159

Super Reach:
Notre Dame
Washington (STL)

Not really. I'm a political science/history dual major at a top 50 school (I know it's nothing good), and I have a 3.78 LSAC gpa with my senior year remaining, and I haven't had to bust my butt at anything.

Maybe 2 hours of studying a week? Although I did cram right before finals week.

And I'm not even smart. I'm averaging maybe a 168-170 on my PT LSATs, which is pretty subpar.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:43 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Birdlaw wrote:
cubswin wrote:

3.81/159

Super Reach:
Notre Dame
Washington (STL)

Not really. I'm a political science/history dual major at a top 50 school (I know it's nothing good), and I have a 3.78 LSAC gpa with my senior year remaining, and I haven't had to bust my butt at anything.

Maybe 2 hours of studying a week? Although I did cram right before finals week.

+1. I had a 3.79 when I graduated and I barely worked at all in undergrad. I'd show up to class, do nothing most nights (drink, video games, hang out, etc.), then crank out a great paper the night before it was due and get an A in the class. I wouldn't even say I am that smart, although I did have a pretty solid command of my major and I could write pretty good essays. But yeah, if I can pull a 3.7+ with minimal work and average intelligence, anybody can. The only people I am ever really impressed by are people with 4.0s, or people who had good GPAs in the hard sciences or something.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:23 pm

He's lying. Romo doesn't get impressed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”