Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:48 am

darby girl wrote:
naterj wrote:Yeah Darby your original study plan was a joke. 6 practice tests isn't shit, I had improved quite a bit by my 6th but I plateaued for quite awhile. It takes time to have substantial breakthroughs and I can almost guarantee your only at a fraction of your potential. Do 10 more PT's and then go ahead and look me up on TLS and thank me.

How about I study some each week and take a PT a week until school starts, which will be ab 7 tests. If one of them is over 163, I'll retake. If I'm scoring in the 150's then ... I suck!

You really should be focusing more on Kaplan Mastery and the Powerscore Bibles. You need to learn how to do the problems and pick them apart so you can improve. Just doing constant PTs will help, but not nearly as much as true studying.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:56 am

romothesavior wrote:
darby girl wrote:
naterj wrote:Yeah Darby your original study plan was a joke. 6 practice tests isn't shit, I had improved quite a bit by my 6th but I plateaued for quite awhile. It takes time to have substantial breakthroughs and I can almost guarantee your only at a fraction of your potential. Do 10 more PT's and then go ahead and look me up on TLS and thank me.

How about I study some each week and take a PT a week until school starts, which will be ab 7 tests. If one of them is over 163, I'll retake. If I'm scoring in the 150's then ... I suck!

You really should be focusing more on Kaplan Mastery and the Powerscore Bibles. You need to learn how to do the problems and pick them apart so you can improve. Just doing constant PTs will help, but not nearly as much as true studying.

If I extend the time (this may be everyone though) I get almost perfect scores on the LSAT all the time. I easily get 100% on LG, 96+% on LR, and still high on the RC. But thats if I take like, 45-50 minutes per section (except LG, I can usually get 100% on that in 30 minutes... or less, damn you June!)

So timing is huge I guess.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:13 am

This was roughly my study plan as I remember it, the books I used are available only from the PR class, I bought them off craigslist.

Week 1
1st Diagnostic (score 149) (I completely freaked out, I was probably more like a 155 first timer)

PR core concepts book 1, 3 hours a day

Week 2
Repeat core concepts 3 hours a day (no PTs this week)

Week 3
Started book 2, worked on it 3 hours a day
2nd PT scored a 160

Week 4
finished book 2 started working on book 3 and logic games workbook
3 HOURS A DAY AT LEAST!!
oh and I think at least one PT

Week 5
3 hours a day, book 3 and logic games workbook
so on and so on you get the idea.

Once I got to week 10 (which was 6 weeks before my LSAT) I started doing 2 PT's a week and the questions I got wrong I would cut out and photocopy and then randomly work problems again and again. Not only that but I broke down my percentiles of every section and took notice of the questions I was repeatedly getting wrong. I knew exaclty which RC categories were stronger and what order I would do everything in. I didn't hit my first 165 until two weeks before my test and my best PT was 172. I got a 167 on the actual.

You get the idea of what it takes to gain substantial improvements so try to make the time to do it, like everyone has been saying it's too important not to.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:19 am

darby girl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
darby girl wrote:

If I extend the time (this may be everyone though) I get almost perfect scores on the LSAT all the time. I easily get 100% on LG, 96+% on LR, and still high on the RC. But thats if I take like, 45-50 minutes per section (except LG, I can usually get 100% on that in 30 minutes... or less, damn you June!)

So timing is huge I guess.

Doing individual questions and picking apart questions/answers will help your endurance a lot. LSAC uses the same question types over and over, meaning that over time, you'll be able to see a question stem and question and you'll know exactly how to attack it.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:13 pm

Just wanted to BUMP the thread because I sometimes get tired of seeing all the awesome 170s on TLS. Anyone have any apps out, or want to share their list of places they are applying, etc? :)

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Add me to this list!

I have a X and PTing around X.

I think I might shoot for Berkeley as a reach.
Last edited by neonx on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:15 pm

159, 3.24, non-urm, decent softs
retaking in october (my pt average was a 158ish so im not looking for much gain but hoping for at least a 160).

Target:
Miami
Penn State
Case Western Reserve

Reach:
Indiana-Bloomington (possibly ED)
Wisconsin
American
Florida State

last day to cancel the lsat is the 17th. i should have at least 4 PTs done by then. If im not seeing improvement or possibility of improvement i will apply with a 159.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:27 pm

am060459 wrote:159, 3.24, non-urm, decent softs
retaking in october (my pt average was a 158ish so im not looking for much gain but hoping for at least a 160).

Target:
Miami
Penn State
Case Western Reserve

Reach:
Wisconsin
American
Florida State

last day to cancel the lsat is the 17th. i should have at least 4 PTs done by then. If im not seeing improvement or possibility of improvement i will apply with a 159.

I'm applying to most of the schools you've listed, minus American and Case Western. I am scheduled to take the LSAT in OCt but I am pushing it back to December because I haven't done enough studying to make a gain. So I'm applying now and maybe using my new LSAT score in December (if it is higher than my 163) to leverage scholarship money or move on a waitlist!

I didn't know Bloomington did ED. Is it binding?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Target:
Miami
Penn State
Case Western Reserve

Reach:
Wisconsin
American
Florida State

Miami isn't worth going to unless you can get close to full tuition, which you won't get. The market is just too crowded.
Penn State, IU-B, FSU, Wisconsin would be worth it if you can get in-state.
American is dicey, as it is overshadowed my many other schools in a crowded and intensely competitive market.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:41 pm

rad law wrote:

Target:
Miami
Penn State
Case Western Reserve

Reach:
Wisconsin
American
Florida State

Miami isn't worth going to unless you can get close to full tuition, which you won't get. The market is just too crowded.
American is dicey, as it is overshadowed my many other schools in a crowded and intensely competitive market.

Pretty sure that Penn State students all pay the same regardless of residency.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:44 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
rad law wrote:

Target:
Miami
Penn State
Case Western Reserve

Reach:
Wisconsin
American
Florida State

Good catch. Just looked. It's mega expensive. Don't pay anywhere near that.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:45 pm

rad law wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:
rad law wrote:

Good catch. Just looked. It's mega expensive. Don't pay anywhere near that.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that Penn State is generous with scholarship money. No?

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:15 pm

Hey alright, I thought I was the only one on TLS with low numbers. 160/3.0 for me. I retook from a 155, so I guess im gonna see what happens with these numbers. I wanna work in Boise, so im really consdiering U of idaho since 90% of attorneys in Idaho went there, super low tuition and close to home. So far I have applied to U of Oregon, Williamette, U of Nebraska-Lincoln, Creighton and once the others open up I will apply to Idaho, Seattle, Denver...and maybe a few more reaches for the hell of it. I really hope some school bites for me, my resume and softs aint nothing to brag about, soooooo....... I think im almost guaranteed in at Idaho, but I wanna keep my options open. good thread! good luck to all of us retards who cant hit the 170's

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Barbie wrote:I may be wrong but I was under the impression that Penn State is generous with scholarship money. No?

Not in my experience.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:24 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:Hey alright, I thought I was the only one on TLS with low numbers. 160/3.0 for me. I retook from a 155, so I guess im gonna see what happens with these numbers. I wanna work in Boise, so im really consdiering U of idaho since 90% of attorneys in Idaho went there, super low tuition and close to home. So far I have applied to U of Oregon, Williamette, U of Nebraska-Lincoln, Creighton and once the others open up I will apply to Idaho, Seattle, Denver...and maybe a few more reaches for the hell of it. I really hope some school bites for me, my resume and softs aint nothing to brag about, soooooo....... I think im almost guaranteed in at Idaho, but I wanna keep my options open. good thread! good luck to all of us retards who cant hit the 170's

hey there, far from retards :) I don't think 80th percentile + is something to mock, especially 90+. It just seems that way on this site. Anyways, what is Idaho's ranking? I know nothing about it.
You seem like you would get into Denver to me, which is the only school you are applying to that I am familiar with. I'm a south-eastern girl, sorry :)

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:00 pm

This thread is good for me too! 164/3.3 (although that may change slightly). I'm also planning to retake in October, but I'm trying to put together a list of reasonable schools in the case that the retake doesn't help as much as I think it will.

I want to practice in Boston, but I want to do PI work not necessarily in a law firm. (Dream job is lawyer/social advocate at a comprehensive immigrant services agency, but that's another story). So far I've got Northeastern, Cardozo, Loyola Chicago, and Suffolk as reasonable choices for my current numbers. Thoughts?

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Barbie wrote:
GoBroncos22! wrote:Hey alright, I thought I was the only one on TLS with low numbers. 160/3.0 for me. I retook from a 155, so I guess im gonna see what happens with these numbers. I wanna work in Boise, so im really consdiering U of idaho since 90% of attorneys in Idaho went there, super low tuition and close to home. So far I have applied to U of Oregon, Williamette, U of Nebraska-Lincoln, Creighton and once the others open up I will apply to Idaho, Seattle, Denver...and maybe a few more reaches for the hell of it. I really hope some school bites for me, my resume and softs aint nothing to brag about, soooooo....... I think im almost guaranteed in at Idaho, but I wanna keep my options open. good thread! good luck to all of us retards who cant hit the 170's

hey there, far from retards :) I don't think 80th percentile + is something to mock, especially 90+. It just seems that way on this site. Anyways, what is Idaho's ranking? I know nothing about it.
You seem like you would get into Denver to me, which is the only school you are applying to that I am familiar with. I'm a south-eastern girl, sorry :)

Idaho is just a T3 school but it places better in state than any school I know of, they are very loyal here...I guess unless your T14 (which im not even 100% on) I really want to work in Boise so its a pretty good option for me, all the firms I have looked at seem to have 1/2+ of their employees from Idaho, or a northwest school. But I am very interested in Denver to, I think I have a decent shot there, considering im right at their 75% lsat but my GPA is whats killin me, so well see-I really love the Denver area

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:31 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Idaho is just a T3 school but it places better in state than any school I know of, they are very loyal here...I guess unless your T14 (which im not even 100% on) I really want to work in Boise so its a pretty good option for me, all the firms I have looked at seem to have 1/2+ of their employees from Idaho, or a northwest school. But I am very interested in Denver to, I think I have a decent shot there, considering im right at their 75% lsat but my GPA is whats killin me, so well see-I really love the Denver area

T14 is pretty much out for everyone in this thread, unless URM status. I'm looking at the 30-40 range for reaches, 40-60 for target, and anything below that hopefully safetyish. I think with lower numbers like ours it makes sense to cast a wider net and see who bites :)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:This thread is good for me too! 164/3.3 (although that may change slightly). I'm also planning to retake in October, but I'm trying to put together a list of reasonable schools in the case that the retake doesn't help as much as I think it will.

I want to practice in Boston, but I want to do PI work not necessarily in a law firm. (Dream job is lawyer/social advocate at a comprehensive immigrant services agency, but that's another story). So far I've got Northeastern, Cardozo, Loyola Chicago, and Suffolk as reasonable choices for my current numbers. Thoughts?

Don't bother with Dozo or Loyola if you want Boston.

CurbYourEnthusiasm

Postby CurbYourEnthusiasm » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:28 am

Great thread. 3.22 GPA, been PTing around 164. Right now I have a small list of schools. I want to attend law school in NY/NJ area. This is what I am at assuming I hit my average score or above:

Reach
Fordham PT
Cardozo PT
Brooklyn

Target
St. Johns
Rutgers-Newark

Would love to get into Fordham, otherwise, I will gladly take Rutgers and their in state tuition. Pretty respectable school from what I've read on this forum, and other articles. I've had some people tell me to put Hofstra and Seton Hall down as targets/safety, but my reasoning is I would gladly go to Rutgers over those schools even with scholarship money, and for some reason if I can't get in, then I would look to go to Rutgers PT, for which their admissions numbers are much, much lower.

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:24 am

I am enjoying this thread. Ill jump in. 3.56 159. Decent WE. Fla resident. I have some money to blow on apps + i received quite a few fee waivers so im just hoping for one of my reaches to bite haha.

Reaches
Wake
George Mason
Alabama

Targets
UF
FSU.....UF and FSU are starting to look like reaches w/ their median LSAT jump
Miami
Stetson

Safety
Samford
Liberty
FIU maybe...

I am looking for more schools in the SE...Hopefully early apps help cause ive already sent 5 haha!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:38 am

dukivich10 wrote:I am enjoying this thread. Ill jump in. 3.56 159. Decent WE. Fla resident. I have some money to blow on apps + i received quite a few fee waivers so im just hoping for one of my reaches to bite haha.

Reaches
Wake
George Mason
Alabama

Targets
UF
FSU.....UF and FSU are starting to look like reaches w/ their median LSAT jump
Miami
Stetson

Safety
Samford
Liberty
FIU maybe...

I am looking for more schools in the SE...Hopefully early apps help cause ive already sent 5 haha!

What median LSAT jump?? :shock:

and I think Samford is a good safety if you wouldn't mind working in Birmingham. Stetson will probably offer you some money, maybe Miami too. Stetson is a pretty school. If i didn't break 160 on the LSAT that would have been high on my list (my GPA is a good bit lower than yours!)

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:50 am

Another thread mentioned UF n FSUs median LSATs jumping 2 points each.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=128236

Edit: UF +1 FSU +2

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:53 am

dukivich10 wrote:Another thread mentioned UF n FSUs median LSATs jumping 2 points each.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=128236

Edit: UF +1 FSU +2

Do you think the 75th percentile changed much? Thats where I was at....

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:52 pm

I currently have a 3.25/157 would bumping my score up to a 160 make a huge difference?

I practice test in the mid 160s but I dont want to get to optimistice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”