Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
D. H2Oman

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Not sure if you saw earlier, but she isn't your typical low-GPA slacker. She had cancer, and then got a 3.9 after she recovered.

What's your excuse? :D

--ImageRemoved--

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:56 pm

darby girl wrote:
rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:BTW Darby, if that's your real LSAT in your profile, you are an FSU auto admit with either GPA>

163/3.3 vs. 163/3.9 is a big difference. And I doubt I'm an auto admin for either... I'm consider on law school predictor!

Just looked at LSN. You're probably good.

It is nice that FSU doesn;t have a "wall" like UGA. It seems UF is a little more difficult than FSU. weird, my friend just got accepted to UF and denied from FSU.

http://florida.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Well you're story sounds legit, I would bet Romo's entire monthly salary that you're in at both UF and FSU

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:58 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Well you're story sounds legit, I would bet Romo's entire monthly salary that you're in at both UF and FSU

Are we talking my salary now, or my legal salary after graduation? (Hint: My legal salary after graduation is lower risk.)

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Are we talking my salary now, or my legal salary after graduation? (Hint: My legal salary after graduation is lower risk.)

Legal salary???? WUSTL placing people in JD positions now?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:02 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Legal salary???? WUSTL placing people in JD positions now?

DLA Piper East St. Louis is a solid firm, man.

STL to 190 50!!!

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:05 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Honestly looks like a great place for hipsters to gentrify

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:57 am

So, back here again to hang out with all my lower number brethren...

It looks like for me, at least, a lot of the schools that I'm considering seem to WL people with my stats on LSN (LSAT 167, GPA 3.14). I'm particularly referring to W&M and WUSTL. Besides having my app complete, is there anything else that can make my splitter self (or other splitters on this thread) more likely to be amongst the admits than the WL? Is it worth it to spend money on a professional edit/review to make sure my PS (still in beta) is awesome? Or is this the curse of the splitter... just throw a bunch of apps out there and hope that for at least 1 school you're amongst the admits and not the WL?

Thanks so far for the great advice everyone!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:14 am

snapdragon wrote:So, back here again to hang out with all my lower number brethren...

It looks like for me, at least, a lot of the schools that I'm considering seem to WL people with my stats on LSN (LSAT 167, GPA 3.14). I'm particularly referring to W&M and WUSTL. Besides having my app complete, is there anything else that can make my splitter self (or other splitters on this thread) more likely to be amongst the admits than the WL? Is it worth it to spend money on a professional edit/review to make sure my PS (still in beta) is awesome? Or is this the curse of the splitter... just throw a bunch of apps out there and hope that for at least 1 school you're amongst the admits and not the WL?

-You're in at WUSTL so long as their median LSAT doesn't change (no reason to think it will)
-You're waitlisted at W&M. You need another point or two to have a shot at avoiding a waitlist.
-Neither school is worth sticker, so you should retake
-Don't spend money on a professional edit. TLS has an entire thread dedicated to PS writing, and if you put out a request for readers, you could probably get 10-12 people to look at it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:13 am

snapdragon wrote:So, back here again to hang out with all my lower number brethren...

Just apply to a bunch of splitter friendly schools and hope for $. WUSTL, Emory, IU-B, UIUC, etc. Forget Vandy, UCLA, Texas. You're probably not gonna get a school with national appeal so pick a region (or regions) you want to live in and target that region.

And retake.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:08 pm

everyone keeps saying retake retake retake. i still don't know if i should. spend hours and hours studying (because i didn't before!) and try to get a score better than the one i have, which is already equal to the best PT i've ever taken (again, i only took maybe 6 ever) but the point is, if i do all the studying and effort and come out with even WORSE ill feel like such a jackass that should have applied in september and been on my marry way...

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:10 pm

darby girl wrote:everyone keeps saying retake retake retake. i still don't know if i should. spend hours and hours studying (because i didn't before!) and try to get a score better than the one i have, which is already equal to the best PT i've ever taken (again, i only took maybe 6 ever) but the point is, if i do all the studying and effort and come out with even WORSE ill feel like such a jackass that should have applied in september and been on my marry way...

Study and retake. Easy call, nothing to lose.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:15 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
darby girl wrote:everyone keeps saying retake retake retake. i still don't know if i should. spend hours and hours studying (because i didn't before!) and try to get a score better than the one i have, which is already equal to the best PT i've ever taken (again, i only took maybe 6 ever) but the point is, if i do all the studying and effort and come out with even WORSE ill feel like such a jackass that should have applied in september and been on my marry way...

Study and retake. Easy call, nothing to lose.

except a LOT of time that I really dont have... not to mention having my apps being some of the very first read (which i think is important, i really want them to be fresh reading my PS and addendum because they are important to me. don't want them blown off at all from burnt out app readers..)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:48 pm

darby girl wrote:except a LOT of time that I really dont have... not to mention having my apps being some of the very first read (which i think is important, i really want them to be fresh reading my PS and addendum because they are important to me. don't want them blown off at all from burnt out app readers..)

Darbs, I applied mid-Jan to the school I'm going to. Scoring higher > early app, especially when your app won't even be late, as you'll probably know your score by early November. 6 PTs isn't enough to gauge anything. Retake and get into UGA. It is your dream.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:11 pm

rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:except a LOT of time that I really dont have... not to mention having my apps being some of the very first read (which i think is important, i really want them to be fresh reading my PS and addendum because they are important to me. don't want them blown off at all from burnt out app readers..)

Darbs, I applied mid-Jan to the school I'm going to. Scoring higher > early app, especially when your app won't even be late, as you'll probably know your score by early November. 6 PTs isn't enough to gauge anything. Retake and get into UGA. It is your dream.

I can't apply early and then after I take the LSAT, assuming I score higher (still think I wont) send them an update?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:13 pm

darby girl wrote:
rad law wrote:

I can't apply early and then after I take the LSAT, assuming I score higher (still think I wont) send them an update?

Send the apps and tell them to wait on your new score. The schools should see you have an LSAT pending and wait to review the application anyways.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:25 pm

rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:
rad law wrote:

Send the apps and tell them to wait on your new score. The schools should see you have an LSAT pending and wait to review the application anyways.

:( i honestly dont believe ill break 163. and when is the oct test even being administered? i work full time and go to school full time, both of which will suffer if i decide to do legit studying. then the 1 month wait will KILL me!! i really want the 165. its SO key! but i dont even believe i CAN get it :( :( :( ughhhh

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:34 pm

darby girl wrote::( i honestly dont believe ill break 163. and when is the oct test even being administered? i work full time and go to school full time, both of which will suffer if i decide to do legit studying. then the 1 month wait will KILL me!! i really want the 165. its SO key! but i dont even believe i CAN get it :( :( :( ughhhh

Probs. early Oct. And you don't know until you try. With that attitude you never will, hon. This is wildly different career opportunities 3 years down the line we're talking here.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:43 pm

^ seriously, darby, I think you should retake. You will definitely be early enough. I talked to the admission's office at Notre Dame, and they said if I took the LSAT in October that would be early enough for their early decision process.

That's not even the regular process. Besides, even if you don't have time to prep applications this summer and fall, then what is one more year off, working and saving money for law school, rather than going right away and spending money, when you could have gotten more $ from some schools to go to law school? If anything that is better than racking up major debt at a lower tier law school. For example, with UF, I'm sure a couple more points could help you considerably in getting some money.

Or you could apply, see where you get in, and if it's not what you wanted, don't accept any school's offers, retake the LSAT in June, and apply again the following fall.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm going to Hastings with a 160 and 3.7--not numbers to brag about, so I'm extremely happy

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:54 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:I'm going to Hastings with a 160 and 3.7--not numbers to brag about, so I'm extremely happy

I have similar #'s, 161 and a 3.88 GPA, but I am looking at a retake here. No way do I want to waste my GPA and the magna cum laude status I achieved, being top 3% of my graduating class.

Still, I think I would be semi-happy with UC Hastings or Davis, but I think I would regret it, if I didn't give it one third and final go. And in case you guys were wondering, first score = 152, so don't think a big improvement is impossible.

I took Testmasters the first time too, and still improved the second time around when I used Blueprint. This time, however, I am using TLS way...I kind of wish I had found this forum sooner...

3.7 is a decent GPA...you didn't retake? I think you could have probably pushed up your LSAT score at least a few points more...

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:20 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:^ seriously, darby, I think you should retake. You will definitely be early enough. I talked to the admission's office at Notre Dame, and they said if I took the LSAT in October that would be early enough for their early decision process.

That's not even the regular process. Besides, even if you don't have time to prep applications this summer and fall, then what is one more year off, working and saving money for law school, rather than going right away and spending money, when you could have gotten more $ from some schools to go to law school? If anything that is better than racking up major debt at a lower tier law school. For example, with UF, I'm sure a couple more points could help you considerably in getting some money.

Or you could apply, see where you get in, and if it's not what you wanted, don't accept any school's offers, retake the LSAT in June, and apply again the following fall.

I've already waited a year! I'm done with my PS (I will be looking for readers soon for final edits though) and I have my LORs and transcripts and everything completed. I work at a law firm full time now and take a few honors courses at USF just to stay in the groove but thats it. I don't want to waste another year. I fear if I continue to work then I'll conitnue to postpone law school and don't want to do that. I agree about improving though. My first LSAT I got a 154, but that was completely cold. I took a few practice tests, prob 6 or so, and read a few pages on how to control LR, and got a 163. But that was my peek, so I'm worried I won't do better. I think, since the cycles continuously get more difficult, my numbers will put me at a WL for UF, which ticks me off. I have an appt to go speak with them soon so hopefully they will give me some advice. Will a 164 for me, even with my 3.3, put me likely in @ UGA & Wake? Its hard to tell from this past years numbers, because when I compare them to the year before they are similarly much more competitive..

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:26 am

darby girl wrote:
My first LSAT I got a 154, but that was completely cold. I took a few practice tests, prob 6 or so, and read a few pages on how to control LR, and got a 163.

Rigorous studying for the LSAT requires 2-3 months and about 3 hours a day, at least. 6 practice tests and a few pages on how to do LR is not enough studying.

If what you just described is really all you did, then I'd say your potential for improvement is HUGE. I'm talking like upper-160s or lower 170s. I mean no offense, but your study plan (if it is as you described) was quite poor. This test is the most important test of your life and will determine a whole lot of your future; you need to put in the requisite time. I have no doubt that with a good study plan, you can improve a ton. The difference between lower 160s and upper 160s is huge, and will bring lots of new acceptances onto the radar, as well as big money to UF and FSU.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:34 am

romothesavior wrote:
darby girl wrote:
My first LSAT I got a 154, but that was completely cold. I took a few practice tests, prob 6 or so, and read a few pages on how to control LR, and got a 163.

Rigorous studying for the LSAT requires 2-3 months and about 3 hours a day, at least. 6 practice tests and a few pages on how to do LR is not enough studying.

If what you just described is really all you did, then I'd say your potential for improvement is HUGE. I'm talking like upper-160s or lower 170s. I mean no offense, but your study plan (if it is as you described) was quite poor. This test is the most important test of your life and will determine a whole lot of your future; you need to put in the requisite time. I have no doubt that with a good study plan, you can improve a ton. The difference between lower 160s and upper 160s is huge, and will bring lots of new acceptances onto the radar, as well as big money to UF and FSU.

I work 9 hours a day and take a full time course load of classes. I don't possibly see how I could devote more than a few hours each weekend... I would say at most 10 hours throughout the week...

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:25 am

FWIW, I have lower numbers than you, and I was outright accepted to WUSTL with $$... I can't remember where it is, but there is a link on the forums to the most splitter friendly schools, and I believe WUSTL is close to the top of the list.

I agree with the other posters that a professional edit is probably not needed, just make sure to highlight why you think you would be the best candidate.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:32 am

darby girl wrote:But that was my peek, so I'm worried I won't do better.

I wouldn't say you're at your peak, considering you barely studied.

Will a 164 for me, even with my 3.3, put me likely in @ UGA & Wake? Its hard to tell from this past years numbers, because when I compare them to the year before they are similarly much more competitive..

This year, 164 was solid gold for UGA. Maybe this cycle it will be a 165. Who knows. This should be compelling evidence FOR a retake, not against it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”