Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Barbie

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby Barbie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:23 pm

akak179 wrote:with a 3.01/163 and applying as soon as the doors open....what are you wiley veterans thinking my chances are at...
IUB
Iowa
Wisconsin
Fordham PT
Temple
Nova
PSU
UC Davis
Florida
Florida St
Tulane
Wake Forest
GW PT
Syracuse

Trust me I know these schools are all over the map, but as of now I am torn between staying in the Philly area or finding somewhere else. Also, I know what LSP tells me for all of these schools, but I dont know how accurate that is when I look at LSN and people with my numbers, so please speak your knowledge

'

My numbers are a lot like yours (3.3/163) and I have an appt with UF next Thurs so hopefully I will know more! FSU told me I'm 80-90% in. They said get my LSAT up a point or 2 and i'm looking at scholly offers. Wake Forest, apparently, we are in the "WL"zone. No idea how that turns out. Syracuse is an easy IN! I'm thinking UC Davis is a no, and Wisconsin is prob @ 50% or so. Just guessing. Have no idea about the rest!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:Okay... let's get this thread back on the tracks. Any other prospective applicants with questions?

I heard the craziest thing... ever... from an FSU advisor. He told me that FSU will accept either your highest LS calculated Cumulative GPA, OR LS calculated degree granting GPA. I still don't believe me, but he said it!!! That takes me from a 3.3 to a 3.9. boom.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:37 pm

darby girl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Okay... let's get this thread back on the tracks. Any other prospective applicants with questions?

I heard the craziest thing... ever... from an FSU advisor. He told me that FSU will accept either your highest LS calculated Cumulative GPA, OR LS calculated degree granting GPA. I still don't believe me, but he said it!!! That takes me from a 3.3 to a 3.9. boom.

What is a LS calculated degree granting GPA? Is that just the GPA your undergrad gave you? I'm confused by the "LS" tag in front of it.

Or are you talking about your major GPA vs. your cumulative?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:38 pm

darby girl wrote:

He was 100% wrong.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:
darby girl wrote:

What is a LS calculated degree granting GPA? Is that just the GPA your undergrad gave you? I'm confused by the "LS" tag in front of it.

Or are you talking about your major GPA vs. your cumulative?

I went to 2 different universities. My cumulative includes every college grade I've ever recieved. My degree granting means only grades from the institution in which I am graduating from (my "degree granting" institution).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:38 pm

rad law wrote:
aas911 wrote:Also any word on the "ORM" anyone receiving a boost job at Cardozo? Or am I just dreaming?

Dreaming.

FTFY

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:39 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
darby girl wrote:

He was 100% wrong.

I told him I didnt believe that! He said if you have @60+ credits from the drgree granting then they take the highest of the 2.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:40 pm

darby girl wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
darby girl wrote:

He was 100% wrong.

I told him I didnt believe that! He said if you have @60+ credits from the drgree granting then they take the highest of the 2.

Yeah, I wish, but no.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:41 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
darby girl wrote:I told him I didnt believe that! He said if you have @60+ credits from the drgree granting then they take the highest of the 2.

Yeah, I wish, but no.

Do you know this for sure waterboy? I've never heard of a policy like this anywhere, but I wouldn't be shocked if some schools did it.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:42 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
darby girl wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:He was 100% wrong.

Yeah, I wish, but no.

Just curious, but what is your reference & experience? FSU student?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
darby girl wrote:I told him I didnt believe that! He said if you have @60+ credits from the drgree granting then they take the highest of the 2.

Yeah, I wish, but no.

Do you know this for sure waterboy? I've never heard of a policy like this anywhere, but I wouldn't be shocked if some schools did it.

I can't imagine this would be true. Doesn't US News make the schools report the LSAC GPA accepted? That means your GPA by your degree granting institution would mean jack.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Yeah, I wish, but no.

It's not like I've read through every school's policy, but they have to report the LSAC GPA. So, you know, numbers game and all that. I mean, sometimes, it can be a good soft because that shows an upward trend. But, I doubt that really helps much at any school.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:45 pm

Sounds like the Canadian system.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:46 pm

BTW Darby, if that's your real LSAT in your profile, you are an FSU auto admit with either GPA>

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:47 pm

Isn't it possible that a school uses a particular standard for admissions, but then reports the numbers that US News requests? I know it is improbable and kind of stupid on their part, but it is possible that some schools do this. But it could be a situation where they say one thing and mean another, Darby. Law schools are known to do that. (see: employment statistics, claims about holistic approaches to admission, etc.)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:48 pm

deadpanic wrote:I can't imagine this would be true. Doesn't US News make the schools report the LSAC GPA accepted? That means your GPA by your degree granting institution would mean jack.

LSN seems pretty standard - the higher your LSAT goes the more GPA points it will "buy" you.

http://fsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:48 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:BTW Darby, if that's your real LSAT in your profile, you are an FSU auto admit with either GPA>

Ya.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:49 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Yeah, I wish, but no.

It's not like I've read through every school's policy, but they have to report the LSAC GPA. So, you know, numbers game and all that. I mean, sometimes, it can be a good soft because that shows an upward trend. But, I doubt that really helps much at any school.

I'm just saying... I called 2 days ago to schedule an appt because I;m making my rounds while I have a week off work. We got to chattin, he was really helpful, I told him my numbers and mentioned I had an upward trend GPA. He asked if I went to a CC, I said no but I went to another Univ. He asked how many credits I have at my current univ. and I told him almost 60, and he said well we take the highest GPA of the two, both of which will be calculated on an LSAC scale. I understand the method of reporting to USN or whatever, but for that matter-- do the few schools who take LSAT medians REPORT the median? Or do the similarly report the highest LSAT? I think that is a comparable situation.. ya know?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:50 pm

rad law wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:BTW Darby, if that's your real LSAT in your profile, you are an FSU auto admit with either GPA>

Ya.

And if you are already in, they may throw you some scholarship money based on your great undergrad performance after your cancer. Just speculating.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:50 pm

163/3.3 vs. 163/3.9 is a big difference. And I doubt I'm an auto admin for either... I'm consider on law school predictor!

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:Isn't it possible that a school uses a particular standard for admissions, but then reports the numbers that US News requests? I know it is improbable and kind of stupid on their part, but it is possible that some schools do this. But it could be a situation where they say one thing and mean another, Darby. Law schools are known to do that. (see: employment statistics, claims about holistic approaches to admission, etc.)

I believe they could look at it as a soft. But any legit law school looking at someone with a 3.30 LSAC GPA as a 3.8 because that's what was on their degree. That's like a UFO to me, I believe it when I see it.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:51 pm

darby girl wrote:

163/3.3 vs. 163/3.9 is a big difference. And I doubt I'm an auto admin for either... I'm consider on law school predictor!

No, you are an auto admit. Trust me.

http://fsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:51 pm

darby girl wrote:

Just looked at LSN. You're probably good.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:52 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Isn't it possible that a school uses a particular standard for admissions, but then reports the numbers that US News requests? I know it is improbable and kind of stupid on their part, but it is possible that some schools do this. But it could be a situation where they say one thing and mean another, Darby. Law schools are known to do that. (see: employment statistics, claims about holistic approaches to admission, etc.)

I believe they could look at it as a soft. But any legit law school looking at someone with a 3.30 LSAC GPA as a 3.8 because that's what was on their degree. That's like a UFO to me, I believe it when I see it.

Not sure if you saw earlier, but she isn't your typical low-GPA slacker. She had cancer, and then got a 3.9 after she recovered.

What's your excuse? :D

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 pm

rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:

Just looked at LSN. You're probably good.

It is nice that FSU doesn;t have a "wall" like UGA. It seems UF is a little more difficult than FSU. weird, my friend just got accepted to UF and denied from FSU.

http://florida.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”