Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Notor

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby Notor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:10 pm

curiouslaw wrote:if i would retake and get my average of 164, what schools should i then be looking into?

A 164 with a 3.6 would make you competitive for pretty much every school from the mid-to-high 20's on down. According to LSN, you'd need a 166+ to get a full ride at Cardozo. I'd broaden my geographic horizons if I were you.

accent

Postby accent » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:13 pm

[quoteI thought about creating a similar thread! I'm glad its been done. I have strong softs, work experience, first gen college student and non-trad. I'm a 155/3.8 gpa debating on whether or not to retake, here's my school list:

Reach
Notre Dame
Lewis and Clark

Target
IU Indy
IU B
MSU
Depaul
Loyola
Chicago Kent

Safety
Valparaiso
John Marshall][/quote]

You are definitely in at MSU. I know people who have been accepted with lower numbers.

nj05nets

Postby nj05nets » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:42 pm

3.46 163
Im in some debt from undergrad, so money is gonna play a larger roll in my application process than i would like it too. is it possible to get 3/4 or better scholly offers at decent schools with my numbers?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:48 pm

alicrimson wrote:
darby girl wrote:I agree. Does anyone know much about UNC or wake forest? I feel like UNC is a super long shot for me, but I would love to go there even for sticker. I think that ED can be helpful to us too. Anyone considering American? UF?

UF here. I only got a 160 so I'll be retaking. I'm also going to apply to Miami and Florida State. Though if my retake goes well, maybe some other places as well.

Forgot numbers:

:)
Last edited by Barbie on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Notor

Postby Notor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:50 pm

nj05nets wrote:3.46 163
Im in some debt from undergrad, so money is gonna play a larger roll in my application process than i would like it too. is it possible to get 3/4 or better scholly offers at decent schools with my numbers?

Apply to whatever your state school is an try to get in-state tuition. With your numbers I'd say look at LSN for schools at the very bottom of t1/top of t2 and see who was offering big $$$ to people with your stats.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Not sure where you are trying to go, but around here we have Stetson, which I am almost sure offers pretty good schollys to those numbers.

I haven't made a list yet and would LOVe some help! I want a few reaches within reason and a few targets.
Last edited by Barbie on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Notor

Postby Notor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:56 pm

darby girl wrote:

Not sure where you are trying to go, but around here we have Stetson, which I am almost sure offers pretty good schollys to those numbers.

I haven't made a list yet and would LOVe some help! I want a few reaches within reason and a few targets. All within the south east!! Again, 163/3.3. I'd really appreciate the input. Chances at Alabama or Wake? I don't know...

Use LSN...

Out at Alabama, probable waitlist at Wake barring URM status.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:02 pm

I see. Waitlisted almost for sure at Wake (one or two exceptions). It seems that 164 would put me into the accept category. ehh.
Last edited by Barbie on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angiej

Postby angiej » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Notor wrote:
angiej wrote:I thought about creating a similar thread! I'm glad its been done. I have strong softs, work experience, first gen college student and non-trad. I'm a 155/3.8 gpa debating on whether or not to retake, here's my school list:

Reach
Notre Dame
Lewis and Clark

Target
IU Indy
IU B
MSU
Depaul
Loyola
Chicago Kent

Safety
Valparaiso
John Marshall

If you are debating whether to retake or not, then retake. If you went up just 2-3 points you'd be in business for the majority of the t2 50-100 schools and could probably eek out a WL at a few of the lower t1's. I'd prepare everything (LOR's, PS, apps) and submit them super early, informing the schools to please wait for your Sept/Oct score before considering you.

Okay - so go ahead and apply as I normally would (early Oct at the latest) and go ahead and put on my app I will be retaking in Oct? I just worry that my app will be incomplete or it will be held until my Oct score even if I'm already within the school's range, and then I won't get the benefit of having submitted early.

angiej

Postby angiej » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 pm

accent wrote:
angiej wrote:I thought about creating a similar thread! I'm glad its been done. I have strong softs, work experience, first gen college student and non-trad. I'm a 155/3.8 gpa debating on whether or not to retake, here's my school list:

Reach
Notre Dame
Lewis and Clark

Target
IU Indy
IU B
MSU
Depaul
Loyola
Chicago Kent

Safety
Valparaiso
John Marshall

You are definitely in at MSU. I know people who have been accepted with lower numbers.

Great! Its another one I would be super happy at. Any chance I could get $ from MSU where I stand now with my numbers?

curiouslaw

Postby curiouslaw » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:38 pm

with my grades, where shoudl i be looking for schools/grades

accent

Postby accent » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:05 pm

angiej,

My best friend from undergrad goes to MSU. I do not know whether it is true or not, but she told me that some students who had offers from other law schools basically went to the admissions office and asked for money/or more money. Please be advised that I cannot confirm the above. I have only heard stories. If I have to be honest, I do not think that people can just go to the admissions office and start bargaining for a better scholarship.

Good luck!

angiej

Postby angiej » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:34 pm

accent wrote:angiej,

My best friend from undergrad goes to MSU. I do not know whether it is true or not, but she told me that some students who had offers from other law schools basically went to the admissions office and asked for money/or more money. Please be advised that I cannot confirm the above. I have only heard stories. If I have to be honest, I do not think that people can just go to the admissions office and start bargaining for a better scholarship.

Good luck!

Wow, like you, I think that seems almost *too* easy, but nevertheless I hope I have similar luck. Does your bf from undergrad go to MSU for law? Would you be willing to pass along my contact info to him/her? I'd like to get in touch with a student to get their perspective on the school, etc.

I'm still debating whether I want to retake, but either way MSU is def on my list.

accent

Postby accent » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:18 pm

Yes, she goes to the MSU College of law. Please pm me your info, so I can forward it to her. She will be glad to give you info.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Ok I made my list.
Last edited by Barbie on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:52 pm

darby girl wrote:Ok I made my list. Please tell me if with my numbers some of these are in the wrong section (or shouldnt be in a section :( ) Again they are 163/3.3

(Big) Reach
UGA, Alabama, Wake Forest, Notre Dame

Good Fit
UF, American, FSU, GA state, Tenn, Kentucky

Safe/ $?
Miami
Penn State
LSU
Denver
Stetson $$$ hopefully
Ole Miss

Would you realy be happy living in and making a career in Mississippi, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Colorado, D.C., Alabama, the midwest, etc. Do you just not care where you live?
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:53 pm

darby girl wrote:Ok I made my list. Please tell me if with my numbers some of these are in the wrong section (or shouldnt be in a section :( ) Again they are 163/3.3

(Big) Reach

Good Fit

Safe/ $?
Miami
Penn State
LSU
Denver
Stetson $$$ hopefully
Ole Miss

FWIW I know a poster on this site with almost your exact numbers who was in my section at UF. She was a wl--> accept I believe.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:19 am

Last edited by Barbie on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:20 am

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:23 am

darby girl wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

(Big) Reach

Good Fit

Safe/ $?
Miami
Penn State
LSU
Denver
Stetson $$$ hopefully
Ole Miss

FWIW I know a poster on this site with almost your exact numbers who was in my section at UF. She was a wl--> accept I believe.

So does that mean you think it should be a reach rather than a good fit?

*shrug*

If anything it means you have a shot. She actually has her cycle results posted, this might be helpful, even though it was about 2 years ago now.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10285

Edit: Oh, I just checked her LSN, looks like you've got a better chance than I thought.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:27 am

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:30 am

darby girl wrote:Says she got a small scholly! Her numbers must be better than mine.

Nope, those are her real numbers she posted (at least, I think).

I am kind of jealous now, she had 1 more point on the lsat than me and got 3k out of it. And my gpa was much better.

Lame.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:31 pm

This thread is awesome, it's nice to see some fellow June LSATers in here too. I'm glad there are people on TLS other than those attending t-14. What do you guys think of this list? My background is I'm Hispanic and I'm from Houston. My numbers are 158/3.5 and my list looks like:

University of Houston
STCL
Denver
Loyola Marymount
Baylor
Miami
U of San Francisco
SMU
Temple
San Diego

My top choice would probably be U of H as I completed a month long summer pre-law program at the law school and really liked it. What's the verdict?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:54 pm

maxm2764 wrote:This thread is awesome, it's nice to see some fellow June LSATers in here too. I'm glad there are people on TLS other than those attending t-14. What do you guys think of this list? My background is I'm Hispanic and I'm from Houston. My numbers are 158/3.5 and my list looks like:

University of Houston
STCL
Denver
Loyola Marymount
Baylor
Miami
U of San Francisco
SMU
Temple
San Diego

My top choice would probably be U of H as I completed a month long summer pre-law program at the law school and really liked it. What's the verdict?

I think as a URM you could aim even higher. I don't know much about Texas, but Denver is gorgeous I hear. I'm not even considering Texas schools because I'm trying to avoid similar weather to what we have here in FL. I'd throw a few more stretches in there though, for sure.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:21 pm

darby girl wrote:
maxm2764 wrote:This thread is awesome, it's nice to see some fellow June LSATers in here too. I'm glad there are people on TLS other than those attending t-14. What do you guys think of this list? My background is I'm Hispanic and I'm from Houston. My numbers are 158/3.5 and my list looks like:

University of Houston
STCL
Denver
Loyola Marymount
Baylor
Miami
U of San Francisco
SMU
Temple
San Diego

I think as a URM you could aim even higher. I don't know much about Texas, but Denver is gorgeous I hear. I'm not even considering Texas schools because I'm trying to avoid similar weather to what we have here in FL. I'd throw a few more stretches in there though, for sure.

Thanks for the response Darby, I'm definitely trying to get all the input I can find. I've heard great things about Denver too and I've got some family up there so it wouldn't be too bad of a fit. What schools do you think would be good stretches for me? I just don't want to over-shoot and spend money on applications if it's just going to be an auto-ding. Oh and by the way, I go to LSU undergrad and I'm sure you'd be getting some serious scholly money with those numbers. Let me know if you have any questions about LSU and I'd be glad to give all the info that I have.

Anyone else have suggestions/predictions on my list?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”