Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 pm

rad law wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Tennessee or Kentucky?

TN - Not the best school in the state. Vanderbilt kids DO take jobs there. 36 stayed in 2009. Tennessee only graduates 160.

GET OUTTA HERE YOU FILTHY VANDY TROLL!!! THERE IS NO T17!!!

fenway

Postby fenway » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Eh, I will still hold a bet that pending a good PS/Add, you will be accepted to Georgia. I think Vandy, however, may be a little too ambitious. Nonetheless, if you wanna practice in the South, take a flyer on Emory and Vanderbilt--you could possibly sneak on a WL and then persist your way to an admission.

note: this may be emotionally slanted because my step-mom died of cancer after going through chemo, so I have an idea about what you had on your plate and what it means that you were able to make it through. In other words, a 3.9 right after chemo is f*ing boss. Adcoms at schools within your LSAT range will agree. Schools above your LSAT range will likely not. But you have a huge kicker and you might as well throw it out there and give it a shot. You earned it.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:42 pm

fenway wrote:Eh, I will still hold a bet that pending a good PS/Add, you will be accepted to Georgia. I think Vandy, however, may be a little too ambitious. Nonetheless, if you wanna practice in the South, take a flyer on Emory and Vanderbilt--you could possibly sneak on a WL and then persist your way to an admission.

note: this may be emotionally slanted because my step-mom died of cancer after going through chemo, so I have an idea about what you had on your plate and what it means that you were able to make it through. In other words, a 3.9 right after chemo is f*ing boss. Adcoms at schools within your LSAT range will agree. Schools above your LSAT range will likely not. But you have a huge kicker and you might as well throw it out there and give it a shot. You earned it.

I agree on taking the chance! I'm doing my UGA and Bama reach! I loooove them. No vandy here!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 pm

fenway wrote:Eh, I will still hold a bet that pending a good PS/Add, you will be accepted to Georgia. I think Vandy, however, may be a little too ambitious. Nonetheless, if you wanna practice in the South, take a flyer on Emory and Vanderbilt--you could possibly sneak on a WL and then persist your way to an admission.

Are you talking to OP? Because as much as I hope she does, there is really no shot at Emory or Vandy, but I think UNC and Georgia are possible. But I would take Florida in-state sticker over both of those in a heartbeat. Florida is very cheap (according to their TLS profile. And their app fee is only $30! What a deal.)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Are you talking to OP? Because as much as I hope she does, there is really no shot at Emory or Vandy, but I think UNC and Georgia are possible. But I would take Florida in-state sticker over both of those in a heartbeat. Florida is very cheap (according to their TLS profile. And their app fee is only $30! What a deal.)

Maybe, but UGA is my dream school. I would pay anything to go there... And it's okay guys, I have no desire for Emory or Vandy, even though I agree they are great schools!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:29 pm

poo wrote:
rad law wrote:
poo wrote:What do you you think my chances are @ UF/FSU/Miami with a 158/ ~3.95?

In, but don't go unless you're getting full tuition or close to it, so it's sort of pointless.

Well, In-state tuition for UF/ FSU.

Yeah my bad. I'd pay in-state at UF and FSU and wouldn't go to Miami without close to full. I thought you wanted to know about Miami. Hopefully one of UF or FSU will bite at your high GPA. I'd still retake to hit 160 or 161.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:GET OUTTA HERE YOU FILTHY VANDY TROLL!!! THERE IS NO T17!!!

Subtle T19 trolling...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:31 pm

darby girl wrote:
rad law wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Tennessee or Kentucky?

TN - Not the best school in the state. Vanderbilt kids DO take jobs there. 36 stayed in 2009. Tennessee only graduates 160.

you mean 36 stayed in tennessee?

Yes.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

darby girl wrote:Maybe, but UGA is my dream school. I would pay anything to go there... And it's okay guys, I have no desire for Emory or Vandy, even though I agree they are great schools!

I have faith you can pull off the 164+ on retake.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:12 am

ITT: Rad law tries to see how many posts he can make in a row without someone interrupting him.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:14 am

romothesavior wrote:ITT: Rad law tries to see how many posts he can make in a row without someone interrupting him.

C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

fenway

Postby fenway » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:15 am

romothesavior wrote:

*a "flyer" otherwise known as a "hail mary" or a "f*ck it, why not?" if I had a story like that I'd throw 200 bills at a shot in the dark. but fortunately OP is looking at schools she will likely get into, so my proposal is irrelevant. go bulldogs :)

fenway

Postby fenway » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:17 am

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:GET OUTTA HERE YOU FILTHY VANDY TROLL!!! THERE IS NO T17!!!

Subtle T19 trolling...

bueno

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:17 am

fenway wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

*a "flyer" otherwise known as a "hail mary" or a "f*ck it, why not?" if I had a story like that I'd throw 200 bills at a shot in the dark. but fortunately OP is looking at schools she will likely get into, so my proposal is irrelevant. go bulldogs :)

Although after looking at LSN, it looks like UGA may be an uphill battle as well.

fenway

Postby fenway » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:02 am

romothesavior wrote:
fenway wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Although after looking at LSN, it looks like UGA may be an uphill battle as well.

*LSN forgot to put in its brain tumor field

jk, numbers wise the situation could still be seen as kind of murky. but you'd have to hope that if there exists a human element to law admissions, it would show itself here.

romo, you should have your own thread where people can consolidate their hopes and dreams while you lay in the cyber cut ready to nintendo-duck-hunt the f*ck out of all the hapless chimeras that are brought before you

fenway

Postby fenway » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:17 am

although I have to say you are pretty effective even without your own exclusive forum haha. Officer Romo, TLS, Unit T-19, OIU, Optimism Investigation Unit.

ghenkis khan

Postby ghenkis khan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:25 am

160 (after PT avg. of 165), 3.3 GPA. Chances of getting into u conn or reasonable goal for schools?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:27 am

ghenkis khan wrote:160 (after PT avg. of 165), 3.3 GPA. Chances of getting into u conn or reasonable goal for schools?

Chances of UConn? Decent. Chances of jobs from UConn? Not so hot.

ghenkis khan

Postby ghenkis khan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:40 am

rad law wrote:
ghenkis khan wrote:160 (after PT avg. of 165), 3.3 GPA. Chances of getting into u conn or reasonable goal for schools?

Retake? Or any suggestions for schools that I'd have a shot at with any decent job prospects

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:41 am

ghenkis khan wrote:
rad law wrote:

Retake? Or any suggestions for schools that I'd have a shot at with any decent job prospects

fenway

Postby fenway » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:46 am

uconn is fine if you are cool with staying in conn/having a 5% shot at nyc/looking midlaw around the rest of new england--school has a solid, though not stellar, rep throughout NE. dunno if that satisfies what you want. facilities are spose to be great

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:48 am

ghenkis khan wrote:
rad law wrote:

If you're PTing at 165 use these 3 months to study and take the October. Give it one more shot.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 am

rad law wrote:

True it is not the best school in state, but I'm sorry rad, this is kind of ridiculous. If you have in-state tuition (or a significant scholarship), can't get in Vandy (w/$), don't care about BigLaw, and want to practice in TN, UT is a good option. Tennessee loves their Vols.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:55 am

I'm in a similar boat as many on here, but I'm not going to list my numbers. Why? Because they suck... :cry:

Anyway...

-I'm a FL resident
-4 years work experience
-Going to declare URM (25% Cherokee)
-Took LSAT 3 times (2 point increase between 1st and 2nd, and 5 point increase between 2nd and 3rd=totally a 7 point total increase)
-Have undergrad in English and minor in Philosopgy
-First gen college grad (even college attended and high school grad-is what it is...)
-Softs are damn strong (cancer surviver/father passed away when I was 8, etc-yes I know everyone has had it tough)

I'd like to go to Stetson, however I think this may be unobtainable. I'm not looking at schools such as Barry/FAMU (say what you want but they're accredited and ABA approved-plus Public and in-state tuition)/Nova Southeastern/Gulf Coast/Univ of Arkansas/Loloya/Mich State/WVU/Louisville/Charleston/Charlotte/etc-Note: Most of these are best on my LS Predictor possibilities. I'd like to stay in FL and based on my lower numbers I'm actually thinking that FAMU may be my best option (close to family and friends/instate tuition/they're accredited). But Barry in Orlando is also looking good too-although Private tuition.

Just figured I'd share. Yes I know a lot of you are better than me, etc...so please spare me of that. LOL :lol:

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:01 am

deadpanic wrote:
rad law wrote:

True it is not the best school in state, but I'm sorry rad, this is kind of ridiculous. If you have in-state tuition (or a significant scholarship), can't get in Vandy (w/$), don't care about BigLaw, and want to practice in TN, UT is a good option. Tennessee loves their Vols.

I'll give you that most of the Vanderbilt people who did stay in TN stayed in Nashville (about 30 IIRC). So perhaps I am overstating this.

If I had lower numbers and wanted to stay down South, I'd still try Ole Miss, Bama, South Carolina, and a couple others before TN though (if I could pay in-state, obviously).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”