Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:37 pm

thwalls wrote:
kalvano wrote:
thwalls wrote:[So what you are saying is that he will not get into BC with those numbers because no one on the LSN graph gets in with those numbers. So your assumption is that the only people who apply, and are accepted, to BC post their numbers on LSN? That sounds like a faulty assumption.


There's a big difference between Temple at 72 and a T30 school that fell in the rankings.

There is no evidence to support any hope that anyone with those numbers save a URM will get in to BC. I'm saying he won't get in with those numbers because, well, he won't fucking get in. Boston College likes GPA.

Go look at their ABA sheet on LSAC. 621 applied with numbers like his. 20 got in. I'd lay money that of those 20, at least 18 were URM, if not all of them.

Especially after they fell in the rankings. They are going to be looking to boost their numbers.


You are saying there is evidence that he could get in with his numbers.



I think it's so cute how little you know about the world of admissions.

Really, it is.

Gumby
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby Gumby » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:46 pm

yo kalvano, you had similar numbers and still applied right?
not being mean, I'm just saying you must have thought you had an outside chance?
still might retake in OCT. I think its just a reach school, probably won't get in but can still apply.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:49 pm

kalvano wrote:
maxm2764 wrote:Hey romo I really appreciate your useful advice. I guess when you're working on 3000 posts in around a year and are in an admissions forum after already being admitted it really means you run shit. It's TLS superstars like you who make me hate these forums sometimes. Douche.



Preserved for posterity.


Actually maxm, the reason I struck out your post was because you said that it seems like radlaw knows what he is talking about. I was actually trying to be snarky towards radlaw because him and I are friends, but apparently I failed and it came off the wrong way.

I have no beef with you, sorry if it came off the wrong way.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:54 pm

maxm2764 wrote:Hey rad law would you mind chancing my earlier post? I'm just trying to get a realistic sense of my options and you seem to know your shit be a pompous internet douche. I appreciate it if you lend your advice but if you can't no worries.


FTF the response I usually get.

And lulz at Romo, I got the joke haha

In all serious though, I'm not very knowledgable about URM, and URMs are fairly unpredictable anyways. Best of luck.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:57 pm

Gumby wrote:yo kalvano, you had similar numbers and still applied right?
not being mean, I'm just saying you must have thought you had an outside chance?
still might retake in OCT. I think its just a reach school, probably won't get in but can still apply.



I never really thought I had a chance. I applied because I didn't want to wonder in 15 years.

Gumby
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby Gumby » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:58 pm

kalvano wrote:
Gumby wrote:yo kalvano, you had similar numbers and still applied right?
not being mean, I'm just saying you must have thought you had an outside chance?
still might retake in OCT. I think its just a reach school, probably won't get in but can still apply.



I never really thought I had a chance. I applied because I didn't want to wonder in 15 years.


Fair enough. I don't blame you at all.
Don't be critical if I would like to do the same and roll the dice.

User avatar
maxm2764
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby maxm2764 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Romo I have to apologize. I guess I misinterpreted your post as saying my question was useless. I've got no beef with you either so I'm sorry for the hostility. Honestly, I am not too sure why I got so worked up but it's my bad.

User avatar
apaint
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby apaint » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:10 pm

3.97, 158*

Solid career for 2 years, combat vet, strong softs, grad school experience

*Made a timing error during LG and scored 6 points lower than my lowest pt…..Definitely retaking! Realistically will score in the mid-160s.

Colorado
Arizona
SMU
ASU
TN
Washington
Lewis and Clark
Georgia State
DU

thwalls
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby thwalls » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:11 pm

kalvano wrote:
thwalls wrote:
kalvano wrote:
thwalls wrote:[So what you are saying is that he will not get into BC with those numbers because no one on the LSN graph gets in with those numbers. So your assumption is that the only people who apply, and are accepted, to BC post their numbers on LSN? That sounds like a faulty assumption.


There's a big difference between Temple at 72 and a T30 school that fell in the rankings.

There is no evidence to support any hope that anyone with those numbers save a URM will get in to BC. I'm saying he won't get in with those numbers because, well, he won't fucking get in. Boston College likes GPA.

Go look at their ABA sheet on LSAC. 621 applied with numbers like his. 20 got in. I'd lay money that of those 20, at least 18 were URM, if not all of them.

Especially after they fell in the rankings. They are going to be looking to boost their numbers.


You are saying there is evidence that he could get in with his numbers.



I think it's so cute how little you know about the world of admissions.

Really, it is.


Let me get this straight: The evidence that you provide actually damages your argument, so instead of challenging my claim directly you opt for sarcasm.

You're right though, I do not know anything about the admissions process and what goes on behind closed doors. But you know just as much about the process as me.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Gumby wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Gumby wrote:yo kalvano, you had similar numbers and still applied right?
not being mean, I'm just saying you must have thought you had an outside chance?
still might retake in OCT. I think its just a reach school, probably won't get in but can still apply.



I never really thought I had a chance. I applied because I didn't want to wonder in 15 years.


Fair enough. I don't blame you at all.
Don't be critical if I would like to do the same and roll the dice.



I'm not being critical. I'm simply saying you have basically no chance.

Too many people mistake being direct for being critical. I don't really care what you do with your applications. Apply to nothing but T14 if you want.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:17 pm

thwalls wrote:Let me get this straight: The evidence that you provide actually damages your argument, so instead of challenging my claim directly you opt for sarcasm.

You're right though, I do not know anything about the admissions process and what goes on behind closed doors. But you know just as much about the process as me.



You'll note I specifically exempted URM's from saying that people with those numbers will not get in. Then I also stated I would be willing to lay down money that of those 20 acceptances, most (if not all) were URM. The data I provided doesn't break down admissions by URM status.

Now obviously, it can't be proved. But all available data tracks with the assumption that they are URM.

But by all means, interpret a .03% chance as positively as you like.

User avatar
jackalope11
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby jackalope11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:23 pm

apaint wrote:3.97, 158*

Solid career for 2 years, combat vet, strong softs, grad school experience

*Made a timing error during LG and scored 6 points lower than my lowest pt…..Definitely retaking! Realistically will score in the mid-160s.

Colorado
Arizona
SMU
ASU
TN
Washington
Lewis and Clark
Georgia State
DU



Apaint, I would say that you might be aiming too low, if you hit the mid-160's.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby Barbie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:26 pm

:)
Last edited by Barbie on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby Barbie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:36 pm

::)
Last edited by Barbie on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:37 pm

You know what I love?

Watching optimism and hope being slowly crushed out of people by the cruel real world. It's such a tangy flavor, despair.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby Barbie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:39 pm

kalvano wrote:You know what I love?

Watching optimism and hope being slowly crushed out of people by the cruel real world. It's such a tangy flavor, despair.


I wouldn't know that taste. I don't put my hopes up TOO high, and know its a shot in the dark. When I get my UGA denial, I will not feel despair, nor anything negative. I expect it. Stop being so bitter! Jeez.

User avatar
apaint
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby apaint » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:39 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
apaint wrote:3.97, 158*

Solid career for 2 years, combat vet, strong softs, grad school experience

*Made a timing error during LG and scored 6 points lower than my lowest pt…..Definitely retaking! Realistically will score in the mid-160s.

Colorado
Arizona
SMU
ASU
TN
Washington
Lewis and Clark
Georgia State
DU



Apaint, I would say that you might be aiming too low, if you hit the mid-160's.


Yeah, I am looking for others. I would like to keep my debt under 100k, I am debt phobic. I have lived and enjoyed living in the south and west. I would also like to live in a big city, as my boyfriend will be coming with and needs to be able to get a job. He is a lawyer who works for a private business currently. I have some family connections for him in Dallas, Denver, and Seattle.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:39 pm

darby girl wrote:I have a question yall may be able to help me with. I am retaking in October, like I said before, with hopes to get a 164. BUT, a 163 was high for me. I didn't do much studying admittedly, but that was my highest PT score on the few I did take. Anyways, would it be beneficial for me to submit my apps extremely early anyways (I wanted to have mine into UF/FSU/Wake on the FIRST day they begin to accept them)? And then, if I do get the 164+, would I just send them the update? Or should I just wait it out, see what happens, and submit my applications later?



There won't be a big difference if you wait until after the October test. Just have everything else ready to go.

Ideally, you want everything in by Halloween, but definitely before Thanksgiving. Any time between there is "early" and will serve you well.

User avatar
jackalope11
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby jackalope11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:40 pm

kalvano wrote:You know what I love?

Watching optimism and hope being slowly crushed out of people by the cruel real world. It's such a tangy flavor, despair.



Is this a USS Pessimism sighting??? If so, do I get a prize??? I thought that thread had died months ago!

:lol:

Kidding... As one who just went through the admissions wringer, I have had my fill of the taste of despair.

User avatar
jackalope11
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby jackalope11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:40 pm

kalvano wrote:
There won't be a big difference if you wait until after the October test. Just have everything else ready to go.

Ideally, you want everything in by Halloween, but definitely before Thanksgiving. Any time between there is "early" and will serve you well.



+1

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:42 pm

kalvano wrote:You know what I love?

Watching optimism and hope being slowly crushed out of people by the cruel real world. It's such a tangy flavor, despair.


I like you.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Ok, I'll throw my numbers out here..

167 LSAT, 3.1 GPA. Thinking of:

BC
William & Mary
UIUC
Maryland
UNC
Wisconsin

I've also got a few more reasonable targets/safeties:

UConn
Pittsburgh
Richmond
Northeastern
UMaine
Suffolk
Quinnipiac

Am I wasting my time with the reaches? 4 years out of undergrad, average work experience, nothing else remotely special about me.

User avatar
jackalope11
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby jackalope11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:45 pm

apaint wrote:Yeah, I am looking for others. I would like to keep my debt under 100k, I am debt phobic. I have lived and enjoyed living in the south and west. I would also like to live in a big city, as my boyfriend will be coming with and needs to be able to get a job. He is a lawyer who works for a private business currently. I have some family connections for him in Dallas, Denver, and Seattle.



Well, then... I would have to say that you would be hard pressed to beat SMU's placement numbers, or their strength in market. If you like Dallas, they are certainly a strong candidate. If you hit that 160's goal, I would think you would get major $$ from them. I did, and I don't have near those numbers.


However, I would still stress that UT may be within your reach, with the right LSAT.

Good luck!!!
Last edited by jackalope11 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:45 pm

No problem maxm. One of the difficult parts of the interwebz is figuring out who is being serious.

And I'm not sure what you are trying to say, Kalvano. Was that a dig at me?

Also, I'm usually pretty helpful on here when I'm not being a smartass. You definitely got it right with regards to the TLS superstar thing, though.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:46 pm

snapdragon wrote:Ok, I'll throw my numbers out here..

167 LSAT, 3.1 GPA. Thinking of:

BC
William & Mary
UIUC
Maryland
UNC
Wisconsin

I've also got a few more reasonable targets/safeties:

UConn
Pittsburgh
Richmond
Northeastern
UMaine
Suffolk
Quinnipiac

Am I wasting my time with the reaches? 4 years out of undergrad, average work experience, nothing else remotely special about me.


Why not throw W&L or Wake on there?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: yhchoi1687 and 6 guests