Chances for people w/ lower numbers! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 am

darby girl wrote: I work 9 hours a day and take a full time course load of classes. I don't possibly see how I could devote more than a few hours each weekend... I would say at most 10 hours throughout the week...
Honestly, that would be better than applying with your current score, because if you did 10 hours a week you would already have studied more than the first 2 times.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:45 am

rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote: I work 9 hours a day and take a full time course load of classes. I don't possibly see how I could devote more than a few hours each weekend... I would say at most 10 hours throughout the week...
Honestly, that would be better than applying with your current score, because if you did 10 hours a week you would already have studied more than the first 2 times.
very true. also, what should i study? LG was my BEST section prior (got 0-1 wrong on each PT) but on the actual test it is what killed me. I only got 1 right on the last game. I got almost none wrong on LR, and RC was better than usual, but it is usually my worst (ironic, huh, for an english major...) does anyone recommend any study material? I don't want to take a course; I don't have time for an instructor to teach at the pace of a group. I do have the Kaplan books (thanks to friends!) it has a bunch of practice tests in a book called endurance, then a bunch of questions in mastery. should I just practice? I can enroll in local practice tests through kaplan or blackstone each (or almost each) weekend. If i had my timing down better on RC I could do much better. LR I'm pretty much solid, I feel extremely well prepared in it. IIII dunno. I've heard of people lowering the PT time from 35 min to 30, or 27, or whatever minutes to improve timing. I think that was my worst killer on the June LSAT (besides the last game, but I had over 10 min to do it. didnt miss a single quest. outside that damn game).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:59 am

rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:But that was my peek, so I'm worried I won't do better.
I wouldn't say you're at your peak, considering you barely studied.
Credited. There are tons of people on here with jobs, families, full time class loads, etc. who find time to study. Darby, getting a few more LSAT points would be the equivalent of UF or FSU sending you a check for thousands (possibly tens of thousands) of dollars. That's a lot of money.

Also, as to your last post... I'd say Kaplan Mastery is a great place to start. Do lots and lots of problems from there before you even touch another PT. Then start to work on your endurance.

I really feel like you have a lot of room for growth.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:03 am

darby girl wrote:
rad law wrote:
very true. also, what should i study? LG was my BEST section prior (got 0-1 wrong on each PT) but on the actual test it is what killed me. I only got 1 right on the last game. I got almost none wrong on LR, and RC was better than usual, but it is usually my worst (ironic, huh, for an english major...) does anyone recommend any study material? I don't want to take a course; I don't have time for an instructor to teach at the pace of a group. I do have the Kaplan books (thanks to friends!) it has a bunch of practice tests in a book called endurance, then a bunch of questions in mastery. should I just practice? I can enroll in local practice tests through kaplan or blackstone each (or almost each) weekend. If i had my timing down better on RC I could do much better. LR I'm pretty much solid, I feel extremely well prepared in it. IIII dunno. I've heard of people lowering the PT time from 35 min to 30, or 27, or whatever minutes to improve timing. I think that was my worst killer on the June LSAT (besides the last game, but I had over 10 min to do it. didnt miss a single quest. outside that damn game).
I'm not the best person to ask. Maybe ask the LSAT prep forum?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:05 am

Me and radlaw suck at the LSAT. 168 for the loss. :cry:

But this is a really solid place to start: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=41657

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:06 am

romothesavior wrote:Me and radlaw suck at the LSAT. 168 for the loss. :cry:

But this is a really solid place to start: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=41657
psht a 168 is freakin ballinnnn

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:09 am

darby girl wrote:

PM'd with a short recap of my LSAT story.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:18 am

rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:

I wanna hear too.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:19 am

Darby you have a ton of room for improvement. I improved 18 points which is more than most people but I took 20+ practice tests and worked through 6 Princeton Review books. Honestly, the LSAT is not a test you want to fuck around with and wonder if you could have done better come application time. Not to mention the scholarship money you could possibly receive as a result of your efforts. So my advice is to hit the books, princeton review, kaplan, the bibles, whatever, and do as many real LSAT PT's you can get your hands on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:21 am

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:23 am

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:

I wanna hear too.
romo always wants to be includedddd :)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:23 am

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:

I wanna hear too.
PM'd

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:26 am

naterj wrote:Darby you have a ton of room for improvement. I improved 18 points which is more than most people but I took 20+ practice tests and worked through 6 Princeton Review books. Honestly, the LSAT is not a test you want to fuck around with and wonder if you could have done better come application time. Not to mention the scholarship money you could possibly receive as a result of your efforts. So my advice is to hit the books, princeton review, kaplan, the bibles, whatever, and do as many real LSAT PT's you can get your hands on.
I suppose I need to get over my desire to have things sent out Sept 1st then.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:28 am

darby girl wrote:
naterj wrote:Darby you have a ton of room for improvement. I improved 18 points which is more than most people but I took 20+ practice tests and worked through 6 Princeton Review books. Honestly, the LSAT is not a test you want to fuck around with and wonder if you could have done better come application time. Not to mention the scholarship money you could possibly receive as a result of your efforts. So my advice is to hit the books, princeton review, kaplan, the bibles, whatever, and do as many real LSAT PT's you can get your hands on.

Extra 6 points on the LSAT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Applying a month earlier

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:28 am

darby girl wrote:
You can still get the stuff out sans LSAT.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:31 am

Yeah just have everything ready to go and then knockout that Oct LSAT. No worries.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:31 am

rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:

is there any point to that??? and it isn't true nor likely i will get 6 extra points!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:33 am

darby girl wrote:
rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:

is there any point to that??? and it isn't true nor likely i will get 6 extra points!
Yeah bc when the score comes out it will automatically be forwarded to them, completing the app.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:34 am

darby girl wrote: is there any point to that??? and it isn't true nor likely i will get 6 extra points!
If you actually study it is extremely likely.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 am

romothesavior wrote:
darby girl wrote: is there any point to that??? and it isn't true nor likely i will get 6 extra points!
I know people that did LOTs of studying between their first/second/third tries and did Worse!!!!!!!!!!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:40 am

darby girl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
I know people that did LOTs of studying between their first/second/third tries and did Worse!!!!!!!!!!
Statistically, going by the stuff the LSAC publishes, most people do better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:41 am

darby girl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
And I know lots of people who gave a halfhearted effort the first time (see: ~6 PTs) and studied their butts off on a retake and did 10+ points better. They went from looking at Tier 2 schools and are now looking at T14 schools. I personally improved 6 points (honestly could have been a little more) and had a whole new list of schools because of it. Retaking was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

But I'll agree that a retake is worthless if you don't put in the requisite time and energy.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:42 am

Yeah Darby your original study plan was a joke. 6 practice tests isn't shit, I had improved quite a bit by my 6th but I plateaued for quite awhile. It takes time to have substantial breakthroughs and I can almost guarantee your only at a fraction of your potential. Do 10 more PT's and then go ahead and look me up on TLS and thank me.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:45 am

romothesavior wrote:
darby girl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
And I know lots of people who gave a halfhearted effort the first time (see: ~6 PTs) and studied their butts off on a retake and did 10+ points better. They went from looking at Tier 2 schools and are now looking at T14 schools. I personally improved 6 points (honestly could have been a little more) and had a whole new list of schools because of it. Retaking was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

But I'll agree that a retake is worthless if you don't put in the requisite time and energy.
Yeah, that's what I did. Definitely first time around was half-hearted. I did 4PT's. This time I did about 12 total (4 full length - 5 sections, the rest 4 sections). Definitely going to do more 5 sections this time. My last section = most missed out of the entire test. I was +9, but should have been more...hence, third retake.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:45 am

naterj wrote:Yeah Darby your original study plan was a joke. 6 practice tests isn't shit, I had improved quite a bit by my 6th but I plateaued for quite awhile. It takes time to have substantial breakthroughs and I can almost guarantee your only at a fraction of your potential. Do 10 more PT's and then go ahead and look me up on TLS and thank me.
How about I study some each week and take a PT a week until school starts, which will be ab 7 tests. If one of them is over 163, I'll retake. If I'm scoring in the 150's then ... I suck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”