Chances for people w/ lower numbers! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Barbie

Gold

Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Post by Barbie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:35 am

I see tons of talk about the lucky 170s LSAT applicants, but I wAnt a forum for those of us with less stellar numbers can realistically discuss our chAnces and goals at schools outside the top 20 And so on. I'm looking high at wake, at uf and fsu, Tennessee, and a few others. Hoping to find others like me who want to discuss :)
Last edited by Barbie on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:40 am

If you have lower numbers, go to school where you want to practice for cheap. The whole "Go to the best school you get into" mantra falls apart outside of the T20, maybe even the T14. Outside of the ~T14, schools are no longer national and are more strong regional. Outside of the T25 or so, you'll be looking at schools that are confined to pretty much one city or one state.

If you can't get into the T14, your goal should be to minimize debt and pick a region where you want to end up.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:47 am

romothesavior wrote:If you have lower numbers, go to school where you want to practice for cheap. The whole "Go to the best school you get into" mantra falls apart outside of the T20, maybe even the T14. Outside of the ~T14, schools are no longer national and are more strong regional. Outside of the T25 or so, you'll be looking at schools that are confined to pretty much one city or one state.

If you can't get into the T14, your goal should be to minimize debt and pick a region where you want to end up.
I agree. That is why I am only applying to the south east. I do think uf and wake even tenn can jump boarders a little around here. I agree as well about the debt but personally money is no object but with this economy that is a great idea.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:58 am

romothesavior wrote:If you have lower numbers, go to school where you want to practice for cheap. The whole "Go to the best school you get into" mantra falls apart outside of the T20, maybe even the T14. Outside of the ~T14, schools are no longer national and are more strong regional. Outside of the T25 or so, you'll be looking at schools that are confined to pretty much one city or one state.

This man speaks truth.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 pm

I thought about creating a similar thread! I'm glad its been done. I have strong softs, work experience, first gen college student and non-trad. I'm a 155/3.8 gpa debating on whether or not to retake, here's my school list:

Reach
Notre Dame
Lewis and Clark

Target
IU Indy
IU B
MSU
Depaul
Loyola
Chicago Kent

Safety
Valparaiso
John Marshall

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:22 pm

Urm by any chance? If that's your first LSAT score and you really feel you can do better then do oct! I still think your numbers are really competative for t2 and I think you have a solid list. I haven't compiled mine yet. Purposely staying in that area?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:28 pm

I identify as NA and Italian (sicilian) but I have not registered with a tribe. My dad is full and my mother is full italian. There have been some disputes on TLS whether I should be considered URM or not.

I actually started a thread debating on whether I should retake (June was my first-ever). :lol: Please feel free to weigh-in: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=121890

I would like to stay in the Indiana/Illinois/Michigan area. I threw Lewis and Clark in the mix of "reach" schools just because I want to do animal law and they are the "it" school for Animal Law but I seriously doubt I would move that far away.

akak179

New

Post by akak179 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:41 pm

3.0 163 here....looking at the philly area schools, temple/nova would be my first choices as of now...some lucky acceptances might make me change that tune however....

Great Idea for this thread by the way, I think there are alot of people with good numbers like ours who just dont quite make it into that 3.7+ 168 + group

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:51 pm

I agree. Does anyone know much about UNC or wake forest? I feel like UNC is a super long shot for me, but I would love to go there even for sticker. I think that ED can be helpful to us too. Anyone considering American? UF?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Assuming location is not a factor....Tier 1 at sticker or $ vs. Tier 2 $$-$$$$.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:17 pm

darby girl wrote:I agree. Does anyone know much about UNC or wake forest? I feel like UNC is a super long shot for me, but I would love to go there even for sticker. I think that ED can be helpful to us too. Anyone considering American? UF?
UF here. I only got a 160 so I'll be retaking. I'm also going to apply to Miami and Florida State. Though if my retake goes well, maybe some other places as well.

Forgot numbers:
Last edited by alicrimson on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:11 pm

I might sit for a 3rd time in October
Last edited by EricBerry on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poo

New

Post by poo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Last edited by poo on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:27 pm

poo wrote:Hey I got a 158 (which is like 7 points lower than my pt average :( ) and a ~3.95 GPA.

I'm going to be applying to:

Iowa
North Carolina
Wisconsin
Washington
Colorado
FSU
UF

I don't know if I'm safe for any of these, but if law school predictor is correct, I stand about a 50/50 shot at all of these.
I'm sure you'll be able to get one of these. Great gpa but you'll probably have to wait until later in the cycle for admits as far as UF/FSU goes. It would be sick to be auto admit though. Out of curiosity, are you considering another take in October? I'm retaking but I really don't want to relive the study. Gah!

poo

New

Post by poo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Last edited by poo on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curiouslaw

New

Post by curiouslaw » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:31 pm

i am in the same boat, just took the june lsat and got a 158 ( about 6 points lower then my average) with a 3.6 gpa, i am wondering about retaking or just staying any advice?

poo

New

Post by poo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 pm

curiouslaw wrote:i am in the same boat, just took the june lsat and got a 158 ( about 6 points lower then my average) with a 3.6 gpa, i am wondering about retaking or just staying any advice?
What are your target schools?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

curiouslaw

New

Post by curiouslaw » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:35 pm

i am looking at schools like Brooklyn, Yeshiva, UConn, Penn State, t2 schools

curiouslaw

New

Post by curiouslaw » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:36 pm

What schools would be recommended with grades in that area

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:46 pm

angiej wrote:I thought about creating a similar thread! I'm glad its been done. I have strong softs, work experience, first gen college student and non-trad. I'm a 155/3.8 gpa debating on whether or not to retake, here's my school list:

Reach
Notre Dame
Lewis and Clark

Target
IU Indy
IU B
MSU
Depaul
Loyola
Chicago Kent

Safety
Valparaiso
John Marshall
If you are debating whether to retake or not, then retake. If you went up just 2-3 points you'd be in business for the majority of the t2 50-100 schools and could probably eek out a WL at a few of the lower t1's. I'd prepare everything (LOR's, PS, apps) and submit them super early, informing the schools to please wait for your Sept/Oct score before considering you.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:49 pm

curiouslaw wrote:What schools would be recommended with grades in that area
Depends on where you want to practice. You should also retake the test, if you were truly 6 points off your average then you can't do much worse with a retake. Get the LSAT up so you can get some money somewhere and not be totally screwed in 4 years.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

curiouslaw

New

Post by curiouslaw » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks Notor, i want to work somewhere in the Northeast, mainly NYC or a surrounding city, and i was wondering if i apply early for schools and retake it, what would the process be for that

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:02 pm

curiouslaw wrote:Thanks Notor, i want to work somewhere in the Northeast, mainly NYC or a surrounding city, and i was wondering if i apply early for schools and retake it, what would the process be for that
You should get into contact with the specific schools admissions office and let them know that you'd like to apply early but would like them to wait to consider your October score. I know schools do this, I just didn't have to do it myself so I don't know the specifics.

As for you, your GPA is right in the average zone. The NYC schools below Fordham aren't really all that great from a cost/benefit standpoint. If you wanted to go to a school like Cardozo, I would suggest looking at LSN and seeing what LSAT you would need with your GPA to get a full scholarship. Otherwise I would advise looking elsewhere unless you are rich and can just pay cash for school.

curiouslaw

New

Post by curiouslaw » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:03 pm

where else would i look?

curiouslaw

New

Post by curiouslaw » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:05 pm

if i would retake and get my average of 164, what schools should i then be looking into?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”