Chances for people w/ lower numbers! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Chances for people w/ lower numbers!

Post by Grizz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:36 pm

CurbYourEnthusiasm wrote:Ya I currently live in Jersey so I would get in state tuition. I'm curious are you more of a t14 or bust kind of guy? I can see your rational for everything you said except maybe Fordham. They place pretty decent given the current economy. Ya Jersey isn't bad, I would prefer to start out in New York though, just because I work there now and I love it. Rutgers places in New York, obviously not as well as Columbia, NYU and such, but it has a pretty solid reputation based on what I've read. Either way, I am going to have to place towards the top to make solid money no matter which of these schools I attend, but I still don't see the problem with Fordham. Hopefully I can hit my average preptest score, which is been about 165. Figure that will get me into Rutgers, hopefully with some money.
Definitely not T14 or bust. I'm not currently at one right now. I stand behind what I said about Fordham. If you can snag money, it's great. But if not, it's too expensive, plus NY cost of living, even though they place well in NY. If you can keep your current job however, PT would be a good option.

You could get a job in NY from Rutgers, but big law is probably out. NY is the most desirable, crowded, and easy to access legal market in the nation right now. Tons of Dozo, Brooklyn, and NYLS are doing doc review. It's gonna be an uphill battle; it's miserable out there.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:55 pm

rad law wrote:
CurbYourEnthusiasm wrote:Ya I currently live in Jersey so I would get in state tuition. I'm curious are you more of a t14 or bust kind of guy? I can see your rational for everything you said except maybe Fordham. They place pretty decent given the current economy. Ya Jersey isn't bad, I would prefer to start out in New York though, just because I work there now and I love it. Rutgers places in New York, obviously not as well as Columbia, NYU and such, but it has a pretty solid reputation based on what I've read. Either way, I am going to have to place towards the top to make solid money no matter which of these schools I attend, but I still don't see the problem with Fordham. Hopefully I can hit my average preptest score, which is been about 165. Figure that will get me into Rutgers, hopefully with some money.
Definitely not T14 or bust. I'm not currently at one right now. I stand behind what I said about Fordham. If you can snag money, it's great. But if not, it's too expensive, plus NY cost of living, even though they place well in NY. If you can keep your current job however, PT would be a good option.

You could get a job in NY from Rutgers, but big law is probably out. NY is the most desirable, crowded, and easy to access legal market in the nation right now. Tons of Dozo, Brooklyn, and NYLS are doing doc review. It's gonna be an uphill battle; it's miserable out there.
Fordham places really well. I know a guy who went to Fordham with a 170/3.5 and he's currently 2 years into his biglaw job and making something like 120k a year.

Edit: He did graduate top 10% of his class though. But he wasn't on law review.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:02 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
rad law wrote:

Fordham places really well. I know a guy who went to Fordham with a 170/3.5 and he's currently 2 years into his biglaw job and making something like 120k a year.

30% NLJ250 when the economy was good is respectable. They're just not that good with money, and it's insanely expensive to live in NY. And your fortunes rise and fall with NY.

No surprise he got a biglaw job with top 10%. A lot of schools can get you a job in NY if you're top 10%.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:10 pm

rad law wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
rad law wrote:

30% NLJ250 when the economy was good is respectable. They're just not that good with money, and it's insanely expensive to live in NY. And your fortunes rise and fall with NY.

No surprise he got a biglaw job with top 10%. A lot of schools can get you a job in NY if you're top 10%.
It's kind of funny though because he told me he didn't network at all and they denied him an interview, and it was only after he kept on persisting that they granted him an interview.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:47 pm

I'm sharing my recent good news hoping to motivate and spread hope to other reverse splitters . . . I received my first law school acceptance today . . . which includes a full-ride scholarship. Its T4, but this may be hard for me to pass up if I'm not offered scholarship money elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:03 pm

angiej wrote:I'm sharing my recent good news hoping to motivate and spread hope to other reverse splitters . . . I received my first law school acceptance today . . . which includes a full-ride scholarship. Its T4, but this may be hard for me to pass up if I'm not offered scholarship money elsewhere.
Way to go! Thanks for sharing the good news!

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:02 pm

reverse splitter...
acceptances? substantial scholarships anywhere? what do you guys think?

p.s. i go to a good undergrad, if that helps...
Last edited by samfii on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:57 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

Making $120 in NYC is like $90 elsewhere... don't be too impressed.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:03 pm

This is the kind of thread I've been searching for. Not everyone can have the best numbers, but our numbers aren't bad either. I'd love to hear peoples success stories even when people on this board said no shot! Good luck to all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:17 am

tooswolle wrote:This is the kind of thread I've been searching for. Not everyone can have the best numbers, but our numbers aren't bad either. I'd love to hear peoples success stories even when people on this board said no shot! Good luck to all.
Pretty much anyone can go to law school, it's the question of whether the school is worth going to for the prove that's more tricky.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:17 am

samfii wrote:reverse splitter... 161 LSAT and a 3.78 GPA...

Useless without where you want to work, since you can't get into any national or strong regionals with those numbers.

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:49 am

rad law wrote:
samfii wrote:reverse splitter...

Useless without where you want to work, since you can't get into any national or strong regionals with those numbers.
do you mean regionally where i want to work or what type of law I want to practice?
I want to work in California, southern California ideally, but I'll take what I can get.
Last edited by samfii on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:52 am

Last edited by Fred_McGriff on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:58 am

Retake.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Anyone else feel offended by the presence of this thread? :lol:

Nah, I'm just joshing.... I'm sure all of you will go on to land really sweet jobs and all that good stuff.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:07 pm

Ragged wrote:Anyone else feel offended by the presence of this thread? :lol:

Nah, I'm just joshing.... I'm sure all of you will go on to land really sweet jobs and all that good stuff.
I know you secretly come here to get an easy self esteem boost :)

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:29 pm

Anyone planning on applying p/t to increase their chances? The median LSAT score at my dream school for P/T applicants is 159...I think I could beat that with tons of prepping.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:57 pm

im looking to work in western ny, nw pa, or eastern ohio. What schools would you all recommend applying to. So far I have sent out apps to Albany, Syracuse, Penn State, Buffalo, and Ohio Northern ( it was free, im not considering it at all- but if they offer scholarship money, im looking to try to negotiate with other schools)

heres the numbers: 3.53 158 white guy
taught for 2 years out of ug ( while getting a master degree). want to get into family/ elder/ diablities law
depending on how this cycle shapes out, i may sit for the june exam. Dont say re take, I would like to know what schools that I should be targeting and why.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:01 pm

What's your GPA, Ragged? Are you a splitter like me, or do you actually have a good GPA?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Adjudicator wrote:

What's your GPA, Ragged? Are you a splitter like me, or do you actually have a good GPA?
3.8X

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:06 pm

adjunct- wheres the love? why the hate..

oh wait... this is top law schools, not above average, or even really good law schools.

what was I thinking?!?!??!?!?!?!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:51 pm

angiej wrote:I identify as NA and Italian (sicilian) but I have not registered with a tribe. My dad is full and my mother is full italian. There have been some disputes on TLS whether I should be considered URM or not.

I actually started a thread debating on whether I should retake (June was my first-ever). :lol: Please feel free to weigh-in: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=121890

I would like to stay in the Indiana/Illinois/Michigan area. I threw Lewis and Clark in the mix of "reach" schools just because I want to do animal law and they are the "it" school for Animal Law but I seriously doubt I would move that far away.

I am NA and Cuban, however rule of thumb, is if you're not registered with a tribe, you cannot claim it, it really sucks, but happened to me and I get no URM boost or else I would be looking at t-14 easy. Now I have to retake my upsetting 163.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm happy to see this post here! I'm a 3.35 and a 165. I think I'm the kind of person who can be happy to live in a lot of different places, but I'd like to end up in SF (I'm from there and a CA resident), but I'd also be happy in NYC/DC/NO I think. I've applied to a lot of reaches because I didn't mind spending a little bit of extra money on the apps and I'm just a dreamer like that.

I applied to:
UC Hastings
UC Davis
University of San Francisco
GWU
BU
Tulane
American
Cardozo
Brooklyn
Fordham
St John's

I have some interesting but not great softs. Living in a weird country interning with a women's group is not considered real great around here, right? I also interned at one of the law school's legal centers, and it happens to be one of my reaches. My boss, who is also a professor at the law school, said she wrote an e-mail to the dean of admissions on my behalf and said I was the sort of student the school should really accept, even though my numbers aren't that great. I don't think that really helped as everyone just talks about how number driven schools are. Am I correct in thinking it won't change much?

Anyway, I know some people are going to say don't go to some places without $ - but if you don't apply, you can't get money offers, right? ;)

tryan

New

Post by tryan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:39 pm

I have a 3.72/160. By the time I go to law school I'll have been out for 2 1/2 years, during which time I've been working in a management position. In school I was in student gov among other activities. What are my chances for Notre Dame? Other schools I'm applying to are Chicago Kent, Loyola, DePaul, SMU (Dallas), U of I.

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent (as in still tier 1) midwest regional schools that give above average scholarship money that I have a good shot of getting into?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:03 am

probably not very good at all for notre dame unless urm.

maybe throw an app to case western. they give out lots of $. just be careful with the GPA strings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”